Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

missing yoggy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mia, Apr 9, 2009.

1. mia

mia

i was always amazed at the unexpected, creative path he charted thru Unity's depths. a real inspiration - at least for me anyway.

anyone know what happened? working on GTA V?

2. defmech

defmech

I've been wondering the same thing, myself. He hasn't updated his blog in a while, either.

3. Dreamora

Dreamora

he had created some interesting stuff yeah

Last thing he mentioned on his block, if I remember right, was something about a new job he started.

4. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

Yep. Yoggy was one of the pioneers behind innovative concepts for game development in Unity. :D

On a somewhat related note, I wonder if Avert Fate will ever be given a face lift or extended (I would LOVE to do that) or if we'll ever have access to the project.

5. Dakta

Dakta

Yeah, Yoggy is a real pioneer.... His innovative projects, creativity, and always helpful community presence was a shining beacon for us all..... When does he get back? And what is he REALLY doing?

Didn't he work for Unity Tech?

Anyways, I've already asked for the Avert Fate source, and it's probably never going to be released. If it is, I think a community effort should be put in to overhaul and extend it. It think it would be a great project, and prove the ability of the community to work together. Another request for the Avert Fate source is being made here....

6. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

No, but he was an intern for a while.

That's probably correct. The source is simply not ready for public digestion and we don't currently have plans to share it. Get started on something of your own! :)

7. Dakta

Dakta

I am!

I just don't have much time........... I've updated my topic with a FPS demo of the terrain I'm working on. Could you all comment on it?

8. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

Dang. Avert Fate would be great for all users to look over and observe the code, models and shaders to see how they made it. Not to mention extend it. :D

9. Dakta

Dakta

Actually, it would be the worst scripting example EVER! Have you heard the horror stories about the code in that thing?

Yeah, the non-code assets would be great to have, even without the code.....

10. Charles Hinshaw

Charles Hinshaw

Having actually seen the project, I can say that your assessment is more than a bit harsh. It was just built to be a playable demo rather a demo project and it would need resources devoted to cleaning it up. But to say "the worst scripting example EVER" is just plain wrong.

11. Dakta

Dakta

Okay, I was running off third hand news of it, as well as that third hand news being quite harsh as well.

I actually said EVER for dramatic effect, since I couldn't think of anything better to say... Lame on my part.

12. galent

galent

HEY! In the absence of a working marketable game, I'm claiming to have written the worst scripting example ever!!! The proof is in the telling, Avert Fate is running....

:D

13. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

uhmmm....sooo....Where is Yoggy? Anyone know?

14. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

Probably in Jamaica on vacation and partying with celebrities.......he wishes (as do I). :D

15. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

He's living life, probably wrapping his weirdly powerful brain around some other exotic concepts like where to go to college, playing paintball, or figuring out that our notions about the value of PI have actually been wrong all this time... Y'know, standard Yoggy "high school" stuff. :p

16. tewe76

tewe76

Ehem, on Jellystone Park with Boo Boo, isn't he? :D

By the way, i'm new here... who is Yoggy?

17. aaron-parr

aaron-parr

Don't confuse Yogi with Yoggy.

Yoggy is one of the creative minds behind Avert Fate and a number of other cool projects.

18. rawrman2381238

rawrman2381238

I think the robot was made for advert fate and that has been released. I know that the code will probably never be released (as stated earl in this thread), but is there a way to get other art assets from that game. (mainly the big boss robot :))

19. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Sheesh, noob! :p :)

As mentioned above Yoggy (real name Forest) is a young and extremely smart kid that was a regular here on the forums in years past but has since dropped off the radar a bit. Wanna see him in action? He gave a great impromptu presentation on particle systems at Unite '07:

Forest Talks Particles

20. tewe76

tewe76

Sheesh, marketing guy! :twisted: :wink:

Oh! He's that shy boy! Seems a good person :)

21. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

Where has all the Yoggy gone?

I have it on an absolutely abysmal authority that he's current traveling through time, having made his time machine as a Unity plugin...

Watch out for those dinos Forrest!

:)

22. ~LK~

~LK~

He seems like a good kid.. and very intelligent. I'm sure he's doing great in whatever he's up to.

23. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

He is alive at least - I talked to him yesterday on IM. I'm pretty sure he's still playing around in unity with *something*. Or: He got tired of all that game dev crap and decided to pursue a career as an auto mechanic - who knows? :wink:

24. shaun

shaun

Hi,

Yoggy is alive and well and we've been discussing with him over the past couple of months about getting the Burnout clone to a workable state. We're planning to get the game running with a single player option initially, and then add multiplayer, integrated with our platform and distributed on Facebook and MySpace. It will be a showcase for "Unity as the tool for casual 3d games distributed over social networks", we'll provide the backend API.

There's a screenshot of a very early version of the game running on FB below. If anyone from the community is interested in contributing, we'd love your help, as our team is busy with other stuff at the moment.

It's not yet certain that Yoggy will be heavily involved, but we'd really like him to be, he's a brilliant developer with a lot of talent.

Best regards
    Shaun

Attached Files:

25. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Juicy! :)