Search Unity

Missing textures from imported fbx file in Unity since update

Discussion in 'External Tools' started by viingo, Feb 21, 2018.

1. viingo

viingo

Since I have updated from Unity 5.6.3p2 (there it worked) to Unity 2017.3.1f1 I'm having problems with importing from Maya to Unity with textures... I export my files in Maya as .fbx (with embeded media checked, which should keep my textures) and when I import my 3D Models they are shown white and the shader with the applied texture is completely empty and I can't click anything (see screenshots). I tried to replace the textures manually in Unity, but it didn't remember my UV maps from Maya and cause of that they are completely distorted and not working right for me anymore...

I also tried to export from Cinema 4D and it does the same thing as with my Maya models, so the problem must be somewhere in Unity?

I’m new to Unity so it could be I’m missing some obvious options.

screenshot_01.JPG screenshot_02.JPG

2. laforced

laforced

3. LeandroMLopes

LeandroMLopes

I'm having problems on importing my models too. When using embeded materials, no tools are shown in materials tab. It's happenning since i updated to 2018 version

4. shamusmcskrap

shamusmcskrap

It's funny how the 3D learning process works...

Step 1: Search for 5 hours to solve seemingly unsolvable problem.
    Step 2: Go for a walk and curse at trees, squirrels, and other random objects.
    Step 3: Just as your about to quit and become an accountant, find out all you had to do was click "extract textures" on the inspector window.

5. MartinBaun

MartinBaun

Step 1: Check
    Step 2: Check
    Step 3: Found the "Extract Textures..." but is greyed out... "#"#¤%&£&/!!!

My FBX file load up fine in Blender with textures looking good. The FBX file is from the software MakeHuman. When I import the FBX fil into Unity the character is white and the materials are also white or human color depending on where the material shall be on the model.

Somebody says you can try and press the "Extract Materials..." button but the only thing that happens is that the materials are extracted from the FBX file and are still only the basic color as before.

Is it Unity or my FBX file that need a check mark somethere in the process?

6. kaxvandam

kaxvandam

Isn't it amazing that the dingleberries that made Unity didn't realize this is a retarded curve to get behind and that it would confound the users time and again. Why in the HELL wouldn't you want the textures auto-assigned? Retard level 9000 Unity creators. You win the dumbshit grand prize.

7. ambareeshsrja16

ambareeshsrja16

@MartinBraun Have you figured this out by any chance, I'm at Step 3, greyed out! *weeps*

8. deltamish

deltamish

Just exported from Blender as fbx and collada dae . Both cases Unity fails to load materials .
    Extract Texture grayed out
    Extract Materials just creates material in a different folder.

Hope alteast this time someone from Unity dev team replies rather than just ignoring the issue XD

PS. For those who argue fbx doesnt pack texture. I loaded same fbx in UE4 it loaded all textures as intended.

9. deltamish

deltamish

It is Unity. Just see my reply above. Even I am facing same issue and I am running on Unity 2019.
    Funny thing is they keep rolling out new unfinished features all while ignoring old persistent bugs XD

Tom-Mensink likes this.
  10. Hosnkobf

Hosnkobf

when you export in Maya make sure you check "Embed Media". Otherwise the textures are not stored inside the FBX file.

11. FranklinVR

FranklinVR

I've spend the last five hours exporting a Point Cache animation from C4D (R21) to Unity. Forget about how much time I've spend on this YESTERDAY! I've deleted Unity 2018, uploaded 2019, deleted the HUB, reinstalled the HUB just to get an animation going! I don't mind something doesn't work, and a team is working on it. But nowhere online can I find any reports of this bug, other than all of us here in this forum complaining about it. Is there anybody in the UNITY team who can make some sense to this madness! Please!

12. itzjayrarity

itzjayrarity

Spent 30+ hours on this no solution, extract materials doesn't work, extract textures is greyed out. Any tutorial on the internet I have done already, no solution, how is this a thing.

13. lorux

lorux

I was having trouble when exporting from blender to unity that some of the materials was missing its textures. To solve this in blender, on export fbx settings, you have to click the icon besides Path Mode which says Embeded Textures and also put the mode to Copy. That way the textures are within the fbx file. Then import it to unity and then click Extract Textures. That did the trick for me. The down side is on that is that textures are duplicated in terms of project file system.