Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Missing scene shading modes?

Discussion in '2018.3 Beta' started by CDF, Sep 26, 2018.

1. CDF

CDF

Not sure if this is a bug, or just options moved somewhere else, but I don't see all the shading options for scene drawing as in previous versions:

2018.3.b2:
    2018.3.b2.png

2018.2.9.f1
    2018.2.9.f1.png

2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Are you using HDRP? HDRP removed a lot of them. They're slowly coming back.

3. CDF

CDF

Bug submitted: Case 1085491

I'm using LWRP, does that reduce the shading options available?
    Couldn't find any information about this

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    LeonhardP likes this.
  4. CDF

CDF

Ok it's a problem with the LWRP, guess I should've investigated a bit deeper.

I assume this is just a limitation in the preview package and the final LWRP will have all those modes enabled again?
    Seeing overdraw is quite handy

5. Andre_Mcgrail

Andre_Mcgrail

Unity Technologies

Yes it is true we have disabled them, some due to them not working right now and some due to them not being compatible. Also the idea going forwards is making use fo the Debug window like HDRP has, this is a much more powerful system and as a huge plus also lets you see these Debugs at runtime on a device, which is where some of these become much more useful.

But for now I can explain the current ones:
    Miscellaneous - these have been disabled mainly because they haven't been implemented yet, some don't make sense(Render paths for eg as in LWRP we are forward only) also others like Overdraw, while handy were completely incorrect 90% of the time, as it didn't care about the actual shader being used so it would be nice to not carry it over as is but work on a better solution there.
    Deferred - makes no sense as we are again forward only
    Global Illumination - Mostly unusable as they are only use with enlighten and realtime GI
    Realtime Global Illumination - Not supported in LWRP as this time
    Baked Global Illumination - This is still here
    Material Validation - Depending on the demand for this we could look at adding it back, but as an artist I've personally alway found this much easier/better to do at the content creation step, saying that I know shadergraph wants to add it in the future as a node.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018