Search Unity

Resolved " missing permission" or "NO_FILL" in Android test build

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by MassiveHeadGames, Aug 24, 2022.

1. MassiveHeadGames

MassiveHeadGames

SETUP:
    • Unity 2019.4.31f1
    • Advertisement 4.3.0 SDK
    • Test Device: Android Samsung Tablet A6: Registered device in my Unity Ads account.
    • Everything is set for "Test Mode"
    • Account is set to serve Unity Ads only.

I've dug around for 2 days looking for answers why this might happen with surprisingly no luck. I implemented everything according to the docs - the code is not rocket science - set up Unity ad account, import the SDK, Plug in ids, make calls, wait for callbacks. Within a couple hours I had it working in the editor and made sure the ids and code logic are correct - and of course, as always, "it works great on my machine".

So I do a build/run to my Android test device. Ads wont even load, let alone show. The only issues I see in logcat are a "missing permission" and a "NO_FILL" when loading ads.

Double checked my code, game id's, and all Ad Unit Id's seem correct. So I assume this is an account setting issue or a Unity Ads service issue.

One Unity engineer suggested that the "NO_FILL" may be expected behavior due to Unity's bidding algorithm. If this is the case how are developers supposed to test their implementation before publishing? Incidentally, I live right next to Silicone Valley and within driving distance to Unity's HQ in S.F. so I don't think my situation is a regional ads limit thing.

MY LOGCAT....REPORTS:

2022/08/24 12:27:35.296 14135 16735 Warn UnityAds com.unity3d.services.core.device.b.C() (line:6) :: Unity Ads was not able to get current network type due to missing permission <--- WHAT MISSING PERMISSION!!!!

2022/08/24 12:27:35.482 14135 16565 Info Unity OnUnityAdsFailedToLoad FAILED: Interstitial_Android ---> ERROR = NO_FILL MESSAGE: Placement receives no fill

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
  2. MassiveHeadGames

MassiveHeadGames

For future generations who may or may not get this issue...I contacted Unity directly through the dashboard. This is what they said...

"We have managed to reproduce the problem on our side and are working to solve it.

We have also confirmed that this issue does not occur with production ads, so this should not prevent you from releasing your game to production with real ads."

This is just my speculation...I suspect the issue may have been a setting on the dashboard. I had selected "Unity Mediation" under the Mediation partner selection because we eventually plan to use Unity mediation; however, I was using the standard Unity Ads SDK not the Mediation SDK while testing - not thinking that it mattered for testing. I just wanted to test the ads first before I got into some complicated ads setup. Also, I was confused regarding why there was a separate SDK for mediation and also a bit hesitant to play with a beta version since all this effort is directed toward a currently published game that already has Admob integration. Anyway, hope this helps. Will likely be irrelevant by the time you read this.

3. MassiveHeadGames

MassiveHeadGames

I previously had this post set as RESOLVED without confirming the advice above. However, we finally released the game on Apple and I am still dealing with this issue. The live production version is not filling ads.

Yesterday I re-initiated my contact with the same Unity Ads Engineer above and he noticed I had "Force Test Ads" set in my account settings. He changed it to "Force Real Unity Ads", but this also did not fix the issue. Then I reviewed my account settings once more and noticed that my Apple Store ID was not linked. I fixed that and had my testers check the game ads. No luck, still not seeing Ads in the production build.

So, thought I'd revive this post for the benefit of others. Will post any updates or resolutions here later.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
  4. Natey

Natey

Hi Unity, just wanted to jump in and say that test ads were working perfectly for me yesterday in iOS and Android builds, but this morning, something happened and now im getting NO_FILL errors when trying to load rewarded test ads on ios. Remarkably, only test ads are getting the NO_FILL error. If I turn off test mode, rewarded ads show correctly on both devices.

5. MassiveHeadGames

MassiveHeadGames

Almost right after I made the post above, my testers notified me that the ads are now working. I don't know what changed but seems like the Unity engineers kicked something loose and ads are now being filled. So for the second time I am tagging this as resolved...at least for me?

6. Natey

Natey

My issue has not been resolved, even after updating the package to 4.3.0.

7. Ohyouknow

Ohyouknow

8. jbphillipsjphill

jbphillipsjphill

Hi I seem to be having a similar issue to Nate that I cant seem to resolve...

I am in the process of updating Unity to 4.4.1 from 3.7.5.

It was working, I managed to successfully test all of my reward videos, and then suddenly

com.unity3d.services.core.device.Device.getNetworkType() (line:124) :: Unity Ads was not able to get current network type due to missing permission

E/UnityAdsExample: Unity Ads failed to load ad for user_rewards_unity_rewarded_video_ad_unit with error: [NO_FILL] Placement receives no fill

9. kyawzinphyoft

kyawzinphyoft

Ads don't show up, test ads show in developing but not in production. It said 'Unity Ads was not able to get current network type due to missing permission'. In Flutter android app.

10. ahmedatef286

ahmedatef286

facing this issue now , ever found a solution for it?