Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Missing Party system?

Discussion in 'Lobby' started by MarcoZVincenzi, Oct 2, 2023.

1. MarcoZVincenzi

MarcoZVincenzi

The Unity Lobby docs describe "parties" as structures used to maintain player groups throughout a game session. That being said, they don't actually explain how to implement them. Other than a description of what a party is and what its members are, I don't understand how the provided code samples actually create one. The only difference with the default lobby creation flow is a local player object that is passed to it. How is that different from a standard lobby?

They also call an async method that is not declared anywhere
    Code (csharp):
    1. await OnJoinedParty(m_PartyLobby);
    At first I thought these snippets were all taken from the Game Lobby Sample Project, but I couldn't find any mention of parties inside.

Can we get some clarity on this? Is there even a Party system, or are they a relic of the early lobby implementation?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2023
  2. ezraegreen

ezraegreen

Hi Marco,

Did you ever manage to resolve this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

3. MarcoZVincenzi

MarcoZVincenzi

Hey Ezra,
    we never really solved the issue unfortunately. We decided to ignore Unity Lobbies and instead allow players to form a Party via P2P (currently via Photon Pun, but we might switch to Unity Relay or similar services). Once they are in a party, the party "leader" (normally the one who is hosting it) sends a Matchmaking ticket with all participant's data to GSH.

This is something we decided on a couple of months ago. The Lobby system may have changed recently and these issues may have been resolved, but our workaround works fine for now so we haven't checked.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2024