Search Unity

TextMesh Pro Missing outline settings after update

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by douglassophies, May 3, 2018.

1. douglassophies

douglassophies

I removed the Text Mesh Pro folder and installed through asset manager today. I made a bit of a mess of it before hand so ended up adding a text script manually. But it seems the new script has no way to edit outline settings. See image: http://prntscr.com/jd9jqo
    Left hand side is how it looks now, right is how it used to look.
    What am i missing here?

2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Looks like your installation of the TMP UPM package might be missing the TMP Essential Resources.

When installing the latest release of TextMesh Pro via the Package Manager, the resources required by TMP are not added / imported into your project until first use of TMP. At such time, a window will show up to prompt you to import the TMP Essential Resources and the TMP Examples & Extras (which although option I recommend you import) into your project.

Based on the image you posted, it appears you might now have imported the TMP Essential Resources into your project. You can do so manually by going to the Window menu and selecting...

upload_2018-5-3_13-16-25.png

See the following top sticky thread with additional information about this new version of TMP.

3. douglassophies

douglassophies

Hi Stephan_B. Thanks for your fast reply. I have done this step. I did it again just in case and got the nothing to import window. I did the examples and extras too which i had not done previously. However, still no luck.
    I followed the post you linked although it was on another site so it may have been slightly different instructions. I had already messed around with it for a bit before finding them so might have broken something before then...

4. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

What version of Unity are you using?

Can you verify which version of the TMP Package has been installed? You can verify this via the Package Manager or by checking the TMP Settings. The version should be version 1.2.2.

Please verify that you have in your project the "TextMesh Pro" folder which should contain a Resources folder with the Font & Materials, Shaders, etc.

Can you post an image of the full text object inspector? I want to see what font asset is assigned to the text object.

Lastly, are you getting this behavior when creating a new text object or when loading a previously created text object?

5. douglassophies

douglassophies

Solved it but not sure why. I was looking at the prefab component not the hierarchy. If i drag it into the hierarchy, make the changes, apply them and then remove it, it will retain the changes next time i instantiate the prefab. This could well have been how it was before and i never made the prefab until after i was done tweaking the settings.
    Could you explain why this is the case?
    Thanks for your time helping me with this, Stephan.

6. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

With normal TextMesh Pro objects which use the Mesh Renderer, the Material Inspector is shown by default. However, that is not the case with Canvas Renderer where it doesn't show the Material Inspector by default like the Mesh Renderer does.

I know that some changes were done on the Unity side as it related to the Material Inspector and the Canvas Renderer but I haven't revisited this in a while.

What is important here, is to keep in mind that this Outline, Underlay, etc are not at all related to the object but to the material preset assigned to that object. So when you change the settings of that object, you are changing it for all text objects which are using this material preset.