Search Unity

missing in vfx shader

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by laurentlavigne, Oct 15, 2021.

1. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

trying to adapt a volume lighting shader that uses depth to illuminate objects.
    the settings of that shader are like so and vfx lacks that
    upload_2021-10-14_23-49-47.png
    and i think this is also missing from vfx shaders
    upload_2021-10-14_23-58-2.png

2. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Hey @laurentlavigne ,

Have you had a chance to try this in the latest 2021.2? We have refactored the ShaderGraph integration for the VFX Graph for both URP and HDRP. It no longer uses a dedicated Visual Effect master node / target, but rather uses the URP/HDRP targets and allows also access to the vertex stage of the shader.

laurentlavigne likes this.
  3. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

ohh that sounds juicy, I tried porting to 2021.1 and crashed in glory so I'll launch b15 and see if it's better. Thanks for the heads up.
    Oh since I'm outputting to the Switch and it's already tight, is it faster than 8.3 ?

VladVNeykov likes this.
  4. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Sure thing!

We've had some Switch-specific fixes since 8.3, so on that front it should be equal or better (depending on if you were hitting the same issues). As for the SG integration itself, there shouldn't really be any major difference unless you start using all the bells and whistles (more advanced materials, vertex animation, custom interpolators, etc.), but as with any upgrade, it's worth backing your project up first / trying it out on a copy to see if how smooth the upgrade is going to be in your particular case.

There are a lot of changes between 8.3 and the latest 12.x, both within and outside the VFX Graph, so it probably will be a bit of an upgrade journey. You can check some of the new things for the VFX graph (like Lit URP VFX outputs) on the public roadmap.

And to manage expectations, there was an unsupported built-in renderer path for the VFX Graph in the early days, but from 10.x onwards it was removed, so you have to be on an SRP if you upgrade. Mentioning this just in case you were using built-in before.

laurentlavigne likes this.
  5. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

It sounds like a lot of good things were done for 12.x, unfortunately my attempt failed: the build crashes on laungh and since it was particularly sport to get this old code base to run on the Switch I'll pass this close to release. Next time!

VladVNeykov likes this.