Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Missing Facial animation in 4.3

Discussion in 'Animation' started by domnab2013, Nov 19, 2013.

1. domnab2013

domnab2013

Hi, the other day I posted a thread here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/21...-in-game-mode-correctly?p=1419762#post1419762 for getting a bad animation output in my game play after importing an FBX animation.

Today I upgraded to version 4.3 and my animations have gotten worse. I have lost some of my facial animated features and when my character talks, the mouth is not moving as in the original FBX file. I'm attaching a screenshot here with the unity output and how the FBX really is. I didn't have this problem with version 4.1 I was using before. Also, in my inspector although the mesh in the model and Rig tabs seems to be correct, in the Animation tab appears wrong. By the way I'm using Humanoid.

Does anyway have a solution to that?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. kanga

kanga

I read something about the extra bones option for characters being changed in 4.3 There is something to do with a body mask you have to apply. I cant find the post atm but hopefully someone here can point you to it. I think your facial animation falls in the extra bones area and this will be your problem.

3. 3DCWCURTO

3DCWCURTO

I had the same problem. Looked into the skeleton masking thing based on the uptate bulletin
    "Mecanim: Remove Keep Additional Bones for Humanoid Rig at import. Use Skeleton mask instead."
    Didnt find anything right away but i did notice you can turn on and off bones transforms. under Animations> Masks> Transform. checking the bone I wanted seem to activate it. I think this feature is the skeleton mask mentioned in the bulletin.
    $ExtraBones.jpg

Also my extra bone is a child of my hips. I dont think it matters but in my animating program I have a control bone overiding what it does.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  4. domnab2013

domnab2013

Hi, thanks a lot for the helpful answer. I changed my Animation type back to general to have it playing correctly, but you were right about the masking. I checked the bones I needed under this option and now it all looks right!!!!!

Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!

5. SteveB

SteveB

Ran into this problem as well, and just to add something to this conversation...

...all the bones under Transform were indeed checked yet the animations on several of the additional bones were not animating. I had to uncheck and then re-check them to 'kickstart' them into working as animated. In fact I only unchecked/re-checked one of the errant bones and the rest began animating correctly.

This may only be an issue for those of us going from 4.2 to 4.3 with preexisting animations, but this is still something to try if you're having issues.

Cheers

-Steven

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013