Search Unity

Missing compiler required member 'Microsoft.CSharp.RuntimeBinder.CSharpArgumentInfo.Create'

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JanetEscGames, Oct 2, 2018.

1. JanetEscGames

JanetEscGames

When I try and compile C# code using the "dynamic" keyword, I get the error "Missing compiler required member 'Microsoft.CSharp.RuntimeBinder.CSharpArgumentInfo.Create'"

I'm building using Visual Studio for Mac

I've googled the error and it seems that you fix it by adding the Microsoft.CSharp.dll, but this will obviously not work on Mac.

Has anyone encountered this?

2. Alanyeats

Alanyeats

I've come across the exact same issue in 2018.2, Not found a good solution for it yet.

3. JanetEscGames

JanetEscGames

We decided to not use the "dynamic" keyword for now, it doesn't seem to be supported.

4. MirkoSon

MirkoSon

Actually, you just need to set the Api Compatibility Level to .Net 4.x in your Player Settings, if you need to use the dynamic keyword.

5. ivanngoc

ivanngoc

JCxYIS likes this.
  6. taynaTinoco

taynaTinoco

just change the Api Compatibility Level to . NET 4.x and Scripting Backend IL2CPP

7. wechat_os_Qy00shpMJZXLuBQ2aeDR-VtIE

wechat_os_Qy00shpMJZXLuBQ2aeDR-VtIE

Thank your advice,it's useful!

8. Jessmy

Jessmy

Thank you!!

9. vamidi16

vamidi16

Thank you!! I was so confused, because I already added it to unity and it still complained..

10. foote

foote

thank you!

11. minthiha

minthiha

Thanks

12. _DS_1

_DS_1

Can someone help ?
    Unity Version is 2021.2.5f
    Seting either value doesn't solve the problem, I'm too trying to use the dynamic keyword

upload_2022-1-31_16-41-48.png

In other versions of Unity I can see the .NET 4.x, but in that is not showing

13. Sergio26Diaz

Sergio26Diaz

did you by any chance find a solution?

14. RChrispy

RChrispy

I am using 2021.1 and it works normally I can use dynamic and .Net 4. In the newer versions the name was changed to just .NET Framework but it should work the same.

PS: Make sure to have installed new C# SDK as well separately.

russisunni likes this.
  15. keltoum1

keltoum1

Hello, please I'm trying to install 'Microsoft.CSharp' in my power shell but i get this error: (Error adding package 'Microsoft.CSharp' to project ''. The project does not support adding package references through the add package command) I'm using this command: dotnet add package Microsoft.CSharp --version 4.7.0

16. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Hey there! I wanted to follow up with this thread to indicate that the dynamic keyword is not something that we support in Unity. It seems that it did happen to work in earlier versions of Unity. I would recommend avoiding its use if at all possible.

mdimov, Dance_M, monxterz and 2 others like this.
  17. mdimov

mdimov

@JoshPeterson Thanks for this confirmation. Would you have recommendations for workarounds, given that this is a known incompatibility?

18. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

That is difficult to say, in general. It will depend on your specific use case.

19. Alexzoin

Alexzoin

Any thoughts on what I may be able to use here?

Code (CSharp):
    1. public dynamic SendMessage(String messageURI, String messageParams, String authCode = "")
    2.     {
    3.         byte[] result = this.SendMessage(messageURI, HttpUtility.ParseQueryString(messageParams), authCode);
    5.         string utfString = Encoding.UTF8.GetString(result, 0, result.Length);
    6.         return JsonConvert.DeserializeObject<dynamic>(utfString);
    7.     }
    9.     public byte[] SendMessage(String messageURI, NameValueCollection messageParams, String authCode = "")
    10.     {
    11.         using (WebClient client = new WebClient())
    12.         {
    13.             ServicePointManager.Expect100Continue = true;
    14.             ServicePointManager.SecurityProtocol = SecurityProtocolType.Tls
    15.                     | SecurityProtocolType.Tls11
    16.                     | SecurityProtocolType.Tls12
    17.                     | SecurityProtocolType.Ssl3;
    19.             client.Headers[HttpRequestHeader.ContentType] = "application/x-www-form-urlencoded";
    20.             if(!String.IsNullOrEmpty(authCode))
    21.                 client.Headers[HttpRequestHeader.Authorization] = authCode;
    23.             byte[] HtmlResult = client.UploadValues(messageURI, messageParams);
    26.             return HtmlResult;
    27.         }
    28.     }
    Which gets used like:

Code (CSharp):
    1. var returnData = this.SendMessage(MessageURI, MessageParams, this._authorization);
    2.         if (returnData["status"].Equals(1) && returnData["message"].Equals("success"))
    3.         {
    4.             long.TryParse(returnData["data"]["id"].ToString(), out returnId);
    5.         }
    6.         return returnId;

20. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

I'm not too sure. What is the API for JsonConvert.DeserializeObject? Can its type parameter be a System.Object? That might obtain the same behavior as dynamic does.

21. Alexzoin

Alexzoin

Thanks for the reply! It doesn't look like that will work.

upload_2022-9-20_12-32-56.png

22. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Ahh sorry, I'm not sure that I can help out more then.

23. kyuuzou

kyuuzou

Does this mean we should avoid using the Python Scripting package's Low Level API? It uses the dynamic keyword on its sample code.

Attached Files:

24. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

I'm not familiar with that library specifically, but it is requires the use of the dynamic keyword, then it won't work well with Unity.

25. MostHated

MostHated

I am confused here. Are you saying that your own Python scripting package is not going to work well with your own engine? That python package is a Unity provided package, is version 6.x, and is using the dynamic keyword right there on the main page example. (seen below).

I mean, it seems that Unity *can* make use of the dynamic keyword, has for a few years, and if I remember correctly, that python package is relatively newer and it's main purpose was to provide additional integration with and bring Unity more in line with other major DCC suites. Core functionality of that package seems to rely on the dynamic keyword. It seems like it would be a good idea for it to be properly supported, no?

That said, it just seems like perhaps there is a disconnect in information, if one team is phasing out a feature, but another team is relying on it, that doesn't seem like it will turn out great.

mdimov likes this.
  26. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

I agree, this is not a great situation. I'll try to determine which team at Unity maintains this packages and follow up with them.

mdimov likes this.
  27. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

I've chatted a bit with the team that maintains the Python scripting package. As it turns out, that package is only used in the Unity Editor. Because the editor uses a JIT .NET runtime (Mono), the dynamic keyword does work properly there.

Is there some specific problem though with the Python scripting package and the dynamic keyword?

28. MorganYT

MorganYT

Then what about this package? Official from Unity, also requires the use "dynamic"

upload_2023-3-10_0-26-42.png

29. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

I'm not sure who at Unity maintains that package. I think it would be worthwhile to log a bug report against it though, as dynamic certainly won't work in Unity player builds on all platforms.

30. Stardog

Stardog

This is a joke. We need support for this. It was working fine before for years. How do we pressure Unity into supporting it properly? A bug report?

We can persist with object to some extent for now.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
    Tuntenfisch and lucdouwe like this.
  31. mrkarate

mrkarate

unity is a joke on this days compared to unreal

32. Postograf

Postograf

Unity 2022.2.0b14 Mono .Net standart 2.0 project. Just put Microsoft.CSharp.dll to Plugins folder and it work. But in first try get an error like "Two same dll delete one of them" but then after delete dll and put it again all work fine.

33. mmntlh

mmntlh

Can confirm this is still not supported.

34. NullQubit

NullQubit

Surely many projects already in production make use of Newtonsoft.Json which does use dynamic to serialize/deserialize types without having to register each one statically, so my guess is that adding Microsoft.CSharp.dll into the project shouldn't introduce any problems. Can anyone confirm?

35. IBN_E_BAQIR

IBN_E_BAQIR

Thanks, Worked for me

36. lipisis

lipisis

IL2CPP comment is not accurate. IL2CPP does not support
    dynamic
    keyword. See official docs. With this in mind, if you are planning to publish your game on, say, iOS,
    dynamic
    will never work. See scripting backend part of those docs.

If you are publishing on PC or Android (but with Mono scripting backed), then you're all good. Otherwise, you can't use
    dynamic

Here's snippet from Microsoft docs about IL2CPP limitations

37. ILonion

ILonion

@JoshPeterson
    I'm passing different custom classes to 1 method using dynamic (currently editor 2020.3.48lts, PC, mono, net 4.x)
    Would you have recommendations for workarounds, given that this is a known incompatibility (dynamic) ?

38. MostHated

MostHated

You should be able to just use the standard C# object, or make it a generic method?

Code (CSharp):
    1. public object myCustomClasses;
    Something like this?

Code (CSharp):
    1. public void MyMethod<T>(T customClass) where T: class {}

ILonion likes this.
  39. ILonion

ILonion

@MostHated I have different classes (different names) with same fields (too much serialized data already). Passing them to 1 same method. I need generic method.

40. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

ILonion likes this.