Search Unity

TextMesh Pro Missing character from FontAssetCreator but not on the font itself

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by atelierxayesha, Nov 7, 2019.

1. atelierxayesha

atelierxayesha

The multiplication symbol (×, 0x00D7) is drawn fine when using regular Unity UI text, but is missing from when I try to create a font asset. I noticed the same thing happens with much-greater-than (≫, 0x226B) and much-less-than (≪, 0x226A) characters

I am using Unity 2018.4

I cannot share the font itself.

Please see the screenshots below if my explanation is not clear enough.

Screenshot 2019-11-07 at 10.28.12 AM.png
    Screenshot 2019-11-07 at 10.27.57 AM.png

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

If the font asset creator reports it as missing, it is missing from the font file.

UI Text will pick some other font (kind of at random) which is why it appears in the text leading user to think the character is in the original font when it is not..

There are several free font editor tools like BMFont, Hig-Logic Font Creator that will allow you to open the font to see exactly what is contains.

Since this character is missing, you can pick another font with similar design and assign it as fallback to this primary font asset to handle those missing characters.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  3. atelierxayesha

atelierxayesha

>UI Text will pick some other font (kind of at random) which is why it appears to be present in the font.
    that sounds.. misleading.. ._.

edit: I mean that they choose a font at random to find the missing characters

thanks for the reply

4. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

I could have phrased that better ;)

I edited my previous post to make it clearer.