Search Unity

Missing Assets - A Warning

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Dosetsu, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Dosetsu

Dosetsu

I recently noticed that one of the assets i purchases from the asset store was missing from my list.

When i contacted the unity asset store support this is what they said.

"The particular asset was removed from the store by the publisher and resubmitted as a new package, this cause all previous customers to loose the download option on the asset.

You will need to contact the publisher and he will be able to send you the asset."

I asked for a refund and was told "Refunds require the publisher's permission."

The publisher is not responding to my emails. So at this point, unity has my money and i have nothing.

It seems unity has no control over assets, publishers or its own store.

So beware of purchases you make from the asset store. Download all your packages immediately and save them as packages so you have a backup everything.

Socrates and Rico21745 like this.
  2. Rico21745

Rico21745

Yeah Unity has some of the shadiest practices I've ever seen. They are happy to take your money but when it comes down to actually providing the support they're supposed to give for their cut of the sale, they wash their hands and blame it on you or the asset creator.

If I purchase an Asset, and then Unity takes it down, I get a refund. Period. Doing otherwise is theft, plain and simple.

This is the reason I buy assets directly from the sellers whenever possible. I've been burned quite a few times by the Asset Store already and I'd rather support the dev than the greedy middle man providing no support.

Want to see a well managed store? Look at Steam. Would people be ok if Steam removed games from your library without issuing refunds and telling you what happened? Why is it ok for Unity to do this, then?