Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

missing an imporant service pack patch??

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by zergmouse, Feb 10, 2011.

1. LumaPxxx

LumaPxxx

what about xp 64 ?

xp 64 have the same problem,but seems no way to fix it.

2. Zyxil

Zyxil

@Jimmy-Bekhuis, @dongliang28:

When you start Unity 3.2 your log window will have a note saying that you are missing an important patch KB##### and a link. This KB number is the specific patch for your OS you will need to do download from MS and install, or as the case with everybody else here, nerdrage over the inability to extract the download.

3. kshaaban

kshaaban

pm me your email and i will mail it to you. <<network I am on has disabled Hotfile rapidshare etc X-(

4. Cameron_SM

Cameron_SM

Thanks kshaaban.

On a side note, when did MS start asking for emails and sending out passwords for patches?

Seems awfully weird to me. Don't they like make the operating system and have an auto-update feature, or did they break that too?

5. Zyxil

Zyxil

@Cameron

MS been using email and password for hotfixes for years. It's to keep some control on support. Hotfixes often don't have the level of testing that a service pack has and they sometimes require a higher level of knowledge or support to implement properly. Also, the check keeps hotfixes from being misused or applied randomly; if you break your OS by applying the wrong hotfix and then call support, that just wastes a lot of time for everybody.

6. zergmouse

zergmouse

good idea lol

7. zergmouse

zergmouse

Check out my original post again .. I added a link for what I think might fix it for XP x64 ... let me know if you have problems with it.

8. Thelo

Thelo

I'm curious why you say that this "fixes a number of instabilities", to be honest, since the purpose of that hotfix is literally to make your programs crash earlier.

See:
    http://blog.paulbetts.org/index.php...ception-user-mode-callback-exceptions-in-x64/

9. desmasic

desmasic

Thanks, but i can confirm that using hotfix 973460 on XP 64 is not working:

Windows XP x64 hotfix : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973460

Still giving us same warning message:

Code (csharp):
    1. Your 64 bit Windows installation is missing an imporant service pack patch. Please apply [url]http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976038[/url] to ensure stability.
    3. Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/f724c1acfee760b6/PlatformDependent/Win/wow64.cpp at line: 42
    The word "important" is mispelled as "imporant" in the warning too :razz:

10. LumaPxxx

LumaPxxx

me too.

11. appels

appels

12. Zyxil

Zyxil

Just so everybody knows, I tried unblocking the file (you know the download security stuff) and executing the file as Administrator and it still doesn't work.

13. desmasic

desmasic

Any official respond from unity about all this ?

14. flim

flim

Same here, I am using Vista 64-bit but can't extract the patch.

15. chingwa

chingwa

Ditto here... on Vista x64 and none of the passwords provided by microsoft work. That is just the dumbest thing ever. way to go Microsoft... I have to give them my email address and ALSO use a password and it still doesn't wprk.

16. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I didn't create the software, I just use it. ;) All I can tell you is that before the hotfix Unity intermittently crashed when I launched it and after I installed it the crashes stopped.

17. shawn

shawn

Unity Technologies

What response are you looking for? Just like the editor warning says. There's a known issue with x64 windows machines that can cause crashes in Unity which that hotfix fixes. Since this is a problem in the OS and not in Unity there's not much else that can be done on our end except point users towards Microsoft's hotfix and wait for Microsoft to push out a proper update.

18. desmasic

desmasic

Well in Unity 3.2 System Requirement, it's clearly mentioned:

http://unity3d.com/unity/system-requirements
    System Requirements for Unity Authoring:
    * Windows: XP SP2 or later; Mac OS X: Intel CPU "Leopard" 10.5 or later. Note that Unity was not tested on server versions of Windows and OS X.

But yet on Windows XP SP2 installation, Unity will give warning :
    The problem is there is no such thing as hotfix 976038 for Window XP SP2.

using hotfix 973460 doesn't make Unity's warning go away.
    So which hotfix fox XP SP2 will fix this warning ?

I guess for now i'll just ignore this warning and hopefully nothing bad will happen :p

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  19. trancerobot

trancerobot

I've ignored this without much, if any trouble.

20. giyomu

giyomu

i am on XP64 too , right now I don't get any crash even using unity all day long ...hopefully a fix will come before madness crash come ...

21. flim

flim

For Windows XP a different hotfix required.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973460

However M$ silently remove all download link for XP and Vista.

22. desmasic

desmasic

Thanks Flim, i tried this already, it doesn't work.
    Unity still give same warning.

23. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Have you tried running Unity without the hotfix? I know you get the warning but besides that have you had any other problems with the editor? If you're not having problems, then perhaps you can go without it?

24. Dreamora

Dreamora

the hotfix is the fix as the problem is the 32bit emulation layer and its handling of exceptions raised within the emulation.

All UT can do is get around with a 64bit version at some point, question there then though will be if it runs at all on XP64 as MS has changed different things on that end with Vista - Win7

Also XP is out of active support at MS so you are on the dieing branch there, just a matter of time until you are in free fall, so going to Win7 64bit will more sooner than later be a must for you

@bigkahuna: given you get around that nag screen, you just have the risk that every exception thrown by the editor or an app in test mode can crash the application. before I applied the fix last autumn I had 6-20+ crashes a work hour normally cause as soon as you touch the .NET libraries or WWW the unity handling of the play mode becomes extremely instable against this 32bit execution layer missbehavior. It was like this since async was introduced with Unity 2.6 and I had it on vista64 as well as on win7 64 previous the hotfix apply.
    With antivirus guards that protect your system, even with unity in the exclude, the chance to crash got even higher before I applied the hotfix

@a note at all who can't install it due to the missing password: Mine was mEYec^I ,perhaps this helps

25. giyomu

giyomu

hehe yeah I should move to W7, I ma just too lazy to have re-install all the stuff, but I will go for certainly :)
    anyway if things get bad till that , my Mac will save my a** ^^

26. desmasic

desmasic

Dreamora, do you think those crash only happens on the editor or also on the final game build by Unity itself.
    Because if the occasional crash also happens on the final game, then that's bad.
    (That means all the end user will have to go to the same trouble installing all the hotfix)

27. Gaspedal

Gaspedal

MICROSOFT HAS SOLVED THE PROBLEM (download your new patch file from MS(with green Icon)). The password works!

EDIT:

Here the EXTRACTED Version for Vista x64 Works 100% :) :)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YRRSYLG7

28. Dreamora

Dreamora

In the application, they are much less common, haven't seen any such case so far.
    The only thing I saw grilling my apps, especially since I applied the fix, were fights between Unitys async operations and my antivirus software (nod32 internet security) which cause the client just to crash out with the dreaded get thread context error or its aftermath (bug report dialog after shutting down the built application).

29. appels

appels

downloaded yours Gaspedal and doesn't work

30. Gaspedal

Gaspedal

31. appels

appels

Thanks Gaspdal, that indeed worked.

32. Zyxil

Zyxil

The patch download from MS works fine now. Rerequest and download from the link given in Unity.

33. Adrenaline-Crew

Adrenaline-Crew

Even though Unity is not the reason, it would be, ohh i don't know PRETTY NICE if they had mentioned it, instead of me assuming i screwed up my project and go through a day of headaches before scowaring these forums

34. Bruell

Bruell

I am not going to install a none approved windows update, are you guy's insane over there in Copenhagen?

35. Zyxil

Zyxil

@ Bruell: It is a MS developed hotfix for a known condition on 64 bit versions of Windows. You can't get less "none approved" than that.

36. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

Don't you mean "can't get MORE approved than that"? Less approved is easy, get some random student to write it. ;)

Anyway I think what Bruell is getting at, but wording badly. Is he/she is unwilling to install something which is developed by MS, but not considered part of the proper updates and is more a case of use at your own risk sort of thing.

Personally I think only people experiencing the issue in question should install it, most hotfixes which aren't part of the regular updates by MS make that same suggestion. Or wait for the next Service Packs for Vista and 7, which will include it for the 64bit versions.

37. Jimmy-Bekhuis

Jimmy-Bekhuis

WindowsServer2003-KB973460-x86-NLD
    (first post link) is not working for XP 64 (other hardware platform)

38. zergmouse

zergmouse

so I am going to update my first post later today ... (when I get to work), So no fix known for XP still right? but now vista and 7 work?

39. Jimmy-Bekhuis

Jimmy-Bekhuis

I've been unable to get XP to work, but I haven't been experiencing more crashes then the usual

40. Ethan

Ethan

The fix from the first post worked fine for me. (win7 x64)

Thanks btw :)

41. Zyxil

Zyxil

"less "none approved"" == "MORE approved": equality is transitive... ;)

I agree that a hotfix should only be applied when you are experiencing the issue. That's straight from MS's recommendations for hotfixes.

In this case, when a vendor says to apply a hotfix, that says to me, "you are going to experience this issue." If you need support from Unity for crashes, one of their first suggestions will be "install this hotfix." Applying now doesn't hurt anything and can save you grief in the future AND puts you in a supported position with the product (or leaves you not in an unsupported posture (since you like boolean math so much.... ;) )).

42. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

I went to the MS site and put in the hotfix number and after filling in my info I got a link to this file:
    399369_intl_x64_zip
    Is this the hotfix i need for Win7 64 bit?
    The link in the first post is dead.

Edit: Whoops the file in the first post is there,
    I thought the question mark as an icon was a sign it was no longer available.
    Wonder what the file is I got though my search.
    Will run the posted file now.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  43. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Wow, that was a trip!
    I installed the hotfix from the original post and my main project scene wouldn't open
    so I tried restoring back to before the hotfix was applied which failed.
    I spent over an hour trying to get this (the restore point and others) to work correctly
    but I always get "Windows Update error 80071A90" which is C:\windows is not being restored to the previous state.
    I tried disabling my anti-virus but no change.
    Apparently the only thing that is messed up in the last backup I have of my project's scene file,
    all the others are ok. The only lost work is a couple of hours I spent on a custom scene transporting interface for my own use so
    I don't either have to move the character in-game long distances or shut the game down and restart in another place,
    I can rebuild that fairly quickly. Normally I backup before shutting down for the day but didn't due to the new update,
    I wanted to be sure everything was good before overwriting the other backups.

The hotfix notification error message is now gone. :)

44. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

Wow, glad you got things working again and it wasn't as bad as it could have been!

I would install it myself if it weren't for the messing with the registry, which in itself doesn't bother me, but the whole distancing of this particular fix that Microsoft is doing, and the damage getting this wrong can cause, just puts me right off, especially as I've not had any of the symptoms it's supposed to be used for.

What I would like to know is how to get Unity to stop displaying the message, it ain't gonna happen, not going to install it until it comes in a service pack or proper automatic update fix, too much risk of killing the system and spending forever restoring backups. So how do we turn off the annoying constant reminder console message?

45. Zyxil

Zyxil

I never did the reg changes. Just installed the patch. Everythings been working fine so far.

46. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Yeah, guess it could have been a LOT worse, never figured it would mess with my Unity project at all
    and especially not be able to restore to the -before the hotfix-.
    My guess is it's something with the Windows 7 installation.
    I only ran the hotfix installer here as well.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  47. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

Ok I'm even MORE paranoid about this now then, lol. So you two installed it but didn't edit the registry to actually activate it on the system or process level? So it is in effect, not even active, simply installed?

Yeah, not worth the risk, just want to know how to get rid of the message popping up all the time, so far that seems to be the ONLY issue. Maybe that's what the hotfix actually fixes, the Unity message itself, lol.

48. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

No message now, but yeah, just ran the installer, nothing else.
    Guess I didn't read all the posts in this topic, if that's where the registry editing is mentioned.

49. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

Yeah there's a whole page on the knowledge base MS site about it and how to activate it for the entire system (everything on the computer), or for a specific process (I suppose just Unity in this case as it's the only app that ever mentioned it), and which versions to install for which systems, along with lots of warnings about using it at all.

50. Zyxil

Zyxil

I plan on making the reg change for the process tonight. I'll report back with results.