Search Unity

missing 3d effect/depth when playing a 360 movie

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Ravl, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Ravl

Ravl

Hi,

As many others from here I tried to make my own VR Movie Player. I searched the forums and learn some tricks and managed to play the movie on 2 spheres using the 2 camera. the movies working fine (i also use AVPro for playing mp4 movies) and rotating the camera is fine, but.... I have no depth/3D effect enabled.

- The Player settings are all checked (stereoscopic and vr supported)
    - I am using CenterEyeAnchor with target Eye = Both
    - left sphere has LeftEyeOnly layer and rightSphere is on RightEyeOnly layer

Is there something I am missing here? Cannot find other posts here with this problem.

I am using SDK: 0.8 and latest Unity Personal Ediiton.

Thanks,

2. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

You shouldn't have Stereoscopic render enabled in the Player Settings that value is for 3D TVs. Although it shouldn't be rendering anything into your Oculus HMD if that value is checked

3. guru20

guru20

I don't think what is being proposed will work?

I'm not sure that you can do stereoscopic 3d movies (not as two side-by-side spheres, anyway); somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Otherwise, you could just use two Ricoh Thetas side by side instead of these big, bulky rigs like Jump

360 movies are not, by very nature, 3d... they are actually 2d projections onto a 360 sphere

If I am wrong, let me know, because I am working on a patent for a compact camera that would do sort of what you are describing (but for a tiny fraction of the size and cost of current 3d/VR camera rigs)

4. scottunity

scottunity

5. guru20

guru20

So... yep, like I said, you can't create a stereoscopic image from 2 photospheres (actually, you can... but not in the way that you think. You will have to wait until my patents are publicly published to see how.)