Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for your feedback about Templates! Tell us about your experiences by taking our survey.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Mirroring an animation

Discussion in 'Animation' started by FestusVG, Jun 3, 2017.

1. FestusVG

FestusVG

Hi!
    Is it possible to make a perfect copy of an animation with some curves reversed? I.E. if I'm having a sword that slashes to the right, could I somehow mirror a copy of this animation to have the exact same movement, but to the left?

Thanks for your help.

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

A simple google search reveals the answer you require.

3. FestusVG

FestusVG

Then perhaps I'm searching for the wrong thing, because I've been at it the whole day, and I'm unable to find anything solid.

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Wait - might need to clarify
    Are you looking to keep the animation you have but change the sword swing right to sword swing left. Still keeping the same animation - in the same hand?
    OR
    Mirror the entire animation so the right sword swing (with the right hand) is mirrored and the resulting animation is a left sword swing (with the left hand).

If #1 - afaik - no that is not doable in Unity. It's a simple thing in 3D that would result in a new animation, but not within Unity.
    If #2 - yes - a very simple process that is revealed in the top 5 google search results.

5. FestusVG

FestusVG

There are no hands, it's a floating sword, in 2D. I'm aware that you can easily mirror humanoid-based animations in 3D, but this is not the case. Perhaps posting a picture will clear things up. Here goes:

I want the little floating sword to have a set of left-side and right-side animations (for when the character turns around). The sword is a child object of the player cube, has it's own separate animator. The question is whether I'll be able to somehow copy and mirror the swords animations along player's Y axis (since I already have all the right-side animations), or would I have to manually set all the "lefties" up from scratch?

Thanks.

6. FestusVG

FestusVG

Figured it out.
    Turns out, when you flip the parent object (X axis * -1), the child object AND it's animations get flipped, too. I was so convinced that was too simple to work, that I didn't even try it in the first place. Silly me.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  7. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Glad you solved and updated. Great for sharing. ;)

8. Macqueen

Macqueen

gotta love the just google it when they become top result smh

9. hyyrylainentommi

hyyrylainentommi

Especially when this was now the top google result for me

unityunity