Search Unity

Third Party Mirror + Steamworks ( FacePunch ) - Is Free?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Newbies-Unity, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Newbies-Unity

Newbies-Unity

Hi Everyone, I'm working with a small multiplayer game around 8 - 12 players in a lobby like (The Friday 13th). I tried to search for more information about Steamworks and Mirror, they make me feel stress so much :). So anyone works with Steamwork or Mirror can help me answer some questions, Please!
    - Steamworks with P2P, Matchmaking is Free?
    - Mirror with Steamworks can work as P2P no need to create a Dedicated Server?
    - if my game is reached a limit CCU, I need to charge some fee for Steamworks?
    - About Facepunch networking Socket, Anyone work with this can let me know how to use it with P2P?
    Thank you so much!

Bloodberet likes this.
  2. FakeByte

FakeByte

Mirror and Steamworks are both free. There is also no CCU limit.

Mirror with Steamworks works quite good, but the standard steamworks transport for mirror uses the old steamworks P2P api and is slower than the new steam sockets.

Using SteamSockets with Facepunch Steamworks is quite easy, just follow the instruction from the official documentation https://wiki.facepunch.com/steamworks/Creating_A_Socket_Server

Bloodberet and Newbies-Unity like this.
  3. Newbies-Unity

Newbies-Unity

Thank you so much! But in my understanding, if I want to use SteamSocket, I must create a Dedicated server for this?

4. FakeByte

FakeByte

No, you are thinking about the Steam Server, steam sockets don't have to be a dedicated server.

Newbies-Unity likes this.
  5. Newbies-Unity

Newbies-Unity

Thank you so much!

6. jiexdrop

jiexdrop

Hello. Do you know if you need to add your game to the steam launcher in order for the connection to work ?

7. Newbies-Unity

Newbies-Unity

If you are testing with Steamwork P2P you need launch it from Steam Launcher. If you use Unet, you do not need to do it.

jiexdrop likes this.
  8. wechat_os_Qy06YD4HXmoln9IZY7KFMPe78

wechat_os_Qy06YD4HXmoln9IZY7KFMPe78

I created this SteamSocket, but I can't find how to connect to it. What should I do? Where can I find concrete examples