Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Showcase Mirror - Open Source Networking for Unity

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by mischa2k, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Saishy

Saishy

I'm pretty sure it does, disconnecting will delete all networked objects.

2. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress: going through every single line of code, improving where possible. Will take a few more days until the next experimental release. So far I am down to 18676 LOC from originally 21060 LOC with the same functionality.

Here is my local repository progress, will be uploaded soon:
    upload_2017-8-17_20-17-45.png

Stormy102 likes this.
  3. Driiades

Driiades

It was not deleting this networked object (I think, I don't remember well...) but it was all out of synchronization after reconnecting.

Typical use was : scene played in a "local" mode (ie 127.0.0.0) and go to online by a script. All networked object was disabled/enabled (bad behaviour for a real game !!!) and then was synchronized. But if you get back in local and go back to online : all was out of synchronization. All networkIdentity were not find by RPC etc.

A preferable use case : not disabling gameObject during connection transition and all networkIdentity well synchronized when reconnecting is completed.

( sry for my english :D :D )

4. Vallar

Vallar

Sorry to resurface with another question but is Network simulation not working?

I just tried to do a connection using Network Simulation Configuration and it never connected. The simulated average was only set to 50ms. Client would load up, I hit connect and it keeps on connecting for up to 3 minutes (I doubt 50 ms takes up 3 minutes). Any ideas?

5. Saishy

Saishy

Nope.

6. Vallar

Vallar

Well I tried with the default Network Manger (HLAPI Pro not default Unity) and it didn't work also, it never connects. I know for a fact it works with the normal HLAPI.

7. mischa2k

mischa2k

Did you try it yourself with the original HLAPI?

8. Saishy

Saishy

It does not work with the original HLAPI.

It could connect in some versions, but it never worked.

9. Vallar

Vallar

I remember it connecting in some version I had (it was before this project started). I can't deem it worked in EVERY version as I only tried multiplayer in 5.6 or 5.6.1 and back then when I ticked it, it worked. But since I am not an expert I can't say it works in the general since. Just that it worked when I tried it.

I see. Thanks for pointing that out. I believe in this case I was using one of the working versions nothing more (I am almost certain it is 5.6.1 which I am still using).

But based on what you are all saying, I won't bother with it and will just write it off as broken and just hope my system works with lag. @vis2k are you planning to make it work in HLAPI Pro?

10. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress: still going through every single line of code. I am about 80% done, lots of smaller improvements to come soon.

Looks like it's part of the LLAPI anyway. NetworkClient calls NetworkTransport.AddHostWithSimulator and NetworkTransport.ConnectWithSimulator if m_UseSimulator is true.

11. mischa2k

mischa2k

Something interesting to share: NetworkManager.OnClientSceneChanged is another good example on why the HLAPI is so bloated. Here is the original code. When does it actually add a player? When does it not?
    ---
    2017-08-19_before_b.png
    ---

Here is my replacement, which does exactly the same:
    ---
    2017-08-19_after_b.png
    ---

These kinds of things happen all across the HLAPI. This is why it's 21k lines of code instead of 10k lines of code. This is why there are so many weird errors and why it's so hard to maintain.

That's why simplifying it is my #1 priority.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    Kaivaan, marcV2g and Stormy102 like this.
  12. Vallar

Vallar

I see well if in case you end up fixing it, we'd be really grateful. I think everyone would probably share my opinion.

Despite not being an expert comparing the two codes you shared, yours I could understand easily, the original code was hard to read and understand >.<. Good work, sir!

13. Stormy102

Stormy102

That was a known bug within 5.6 - a patch was released that fixed it.

14. Saishy

Saishy

Sincerely, I can't understand lambda, I can't understand what your code is doing.
    And also I would just never use lambda since it generates garbage on every call :2

If it was just to make the code easier to read, while not actually making it slower or generating garbage, this would be fine:

Code (CSharp):
    2. // If there is no players, we need to add it.
    3. bool addPlayer = (ClientScene.localPlayers.Count == 0);
    5. bool foundPlayer;
    7. // There are players, let's check if their gameObjects exists.
    8. if (!addPlayer) {
    9.    foreach (var playerController in ClientScene.localPlayers) {
    10.        if (playerController.gameObject != null) {
    11.            foundPlayer = true;
    12.            break;
    13.        }
    14.    }
    16.    if (!foundPlayer)  {
    17.        // there are players, but their game objects have all been deleted.
    18.        addPlayer = true;
    19.    }
    20. }
    22. // If we need to add them, we do it here.
    23. if (addPlayer) {
    24.    ClientScene.AddPlayer(0);
    25. }

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    frank28 likes this.
  15. jimmio92

jimmio92

It randomly went away just before I switched to your implementation. I have no idea what I did wrong to cause that.

Also, THANK YOU SO MUCH. It actually works now.

16. mischa2k

mischa2k

Update: moved current experimental to stable version. Uploaded a new experimental version.
    I went through every single line of code and did a whole lot of improvements. Here are the major ones:
    • [2017-08-20] ConnectionArray: connections list range checks fixed to use < instead of <= to avoid possible bugs where connId might be out of range
    • [2017-08-20] LocalClient: removed unnecessarily complex free message buffering
    • [2017-08-20] Messages: optimized some messages to minimize bandwidth
    • [2017-08-20] NetworkClient: IsValidIpV6 fixed. Invalid IP6 addresses were accepted before but aren't anymore now.
    • [2017-08-20] NetworkDiscovery: string to bytes and bytes to string via proper UTF8 encoding
    • [2017-08-20] NetworkServer: UpdateServerObjects removes null objects immediately instead of every 100 frames.
    • [2017-08-20] NetworkManager: OnClientSceneChanged rewritten from scratch to remove some really weird code.
    Lines of code original HLAPI: 21060
    Lines of code HLAPI Pro:18505

17. xVergilx

xVergilx

I did actually, and I figured out what causing CRCMissmatch error. It's actually caused by LLAPI library, due to ConnectionConfig missmatch.

For some weird reasons after upgrading to HLAPI Pro NetworkManagers were messed up.

Funny thing is - even with 100% identical configuration I was unable to run it, up untill I manually copy/pasted NetworkManager prefabs from one project to another.

Now everything works as intended.

18. mischa2k

mischa2k

So I try to not modify any serialized variables to avoid just that. And personally I am able to switch to HLAPI Pro without any issues for all my asset store projects. But it's possible that Unity reacts differently to DLL changes on different operating systems.

xVergilx likes this.
  19. robochase

robochase

It's your project to do what you want with but my two cents - that Linq type stuff does not make the code any easier to read. It's very unique to c#. Pretty much everyone coming from a different language can read the old code even if it's longer. Looking at your abridged version is a head scratcher.

Also unless you can convince unity to use your version of the HLAPI going forward, I really don't recommend butchering the code like this. It's going to make it impossible to reconcile with official updates to the HLAPI, as well as incorporating third party improvements.

20. robochase

robochase

This is what that code should be changed to. Minus the foreach. Unless things have changed since the last time I read about foreach loops.

21. mischa2k

mischa2k

Thanks for your feedback. You find this harder to read than the previous one?

LINQ is there for a good reason, you should really give it a try and learn what it's all about. This concept originally comes from functional programming languages, it's just called Map/Filter/Reduce and it's really, really powerful. You can replace any for loop with it, and that's a good thing. There is a reason why the C# developers added it to the language.

For one, it's way easier to read if you understand it. It does require people to learn something new, but that's just the way technology evolves. Just like UNET, which makes things way easier than Unity's old networking system - but it's still new, kinda weird and requires a lot of learning.
    Secondly it allows for code that can be argued about. For loops do too many things at once. A simple Map/Filter/Reduce call just takes a lambda and applies it to the list. No crazy stuff, less bugs, easier code.

And yes, your point about butchering the original code is completely valid and it will make upgrading harder. But only for me - since I only butcher the stuff that you don't see from the outside. If I do this then I want it to be perfect. The easy route is usually not the one worth taking. I mean this is Unity after all - it should be perfect, anything less is for other engines..

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    xVergilx and marcV2g like this.
  22. Saishy

Saishy

I don't know why you ignored my first post, but yes, that is harder to read.

Also lambda generate garbage, there is no reason to use it in this case.

Smaller code does not mean better readability, if a slightly longer code is easier to understand and have better performance I see absolutely no reason to not use it.

Yes, lambdas are powerful, this does not mean you should replace any for loop with it.

23. mischa2k

mischa2k

That's a philosophical decision to make I think. Just like C# produces garbage in comparison to C. And how C produces garbage in comparison to raw assembly code. Yet we all rather use C# than plain assembly, for a good reason.

It depends on what you optimize for, a few bytes of memory vs. code readability vs. simplicity etc. Neither is wrong, it's just a preference thing. I really don't think memory optimization is the HLAPI's issue, I think being too bloated is what causes all these weird bugs and makes it so hard to fix.

24. Saishy

Saishy

It's just a for loop! It's not bloated!

And I'm not talking about optimizing memory usage, garbage is collected by the garbage collector at runtime, in non-controllable ways, this is processing optimization and normally an important one for games.

A for loop is easier to read, simpler, prevent random cpu usage, and makes debugging easier.
    The point is, there is no reason to use lambda besides it being a personal preference.

25. mischa2k

mischa2k

3 lines of code aren't easier to read than 19 lines of code? I think this is greatly underestimated if you extrapolate it. 3000 lines of code are always way easier to read than 19.000 lines of code. This makes a huge difference.

But okay, garbage collection:
    • The code is from OnClientSceneChanged, which happens about one time, if ever. That doesn't matter at all in terms of garbage collection.
    • The original code used two boolean variables, which makes it 2 bytes of memory.
    • The Enumerable.All function uses no boolean variables, it just returns true or false. So that makes it 0 bytes and one function return value. I am not a C# compiler expert, but my best guess is that this return value is saved in a register, without any garbage collection at all.

So it's even better in terms of GC. Unless the predicate causes extra GC, but I don't think so?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  26. Saishy

Saishy

Yes, they aren't. And no, 3k lines of code don't mean it is easier to read than 19k lines. In fact, just shortening code is a surefire way to lead to a mumbled mess.

Anyway, the first argument is the only one that may hold a candle, "It probably don't matter". But by using a lambda unnecessarily you not only create bad habits, but open the space for more bad uses.
    The questions would be, why not use a for loop when a for loop is due? Standards are there for a reason.
    Why would you use condition ? return true : return false; instead of just a if (condition) return true. and return false as default?

For the second, Booleans are not garbage collected, so regardless of the amount of memory they may or may not use, it is trivial. But a collector call will cause heap fragmentation regardless of the amount of memory it collected.

Third, you are supplying a local variable to the lambda function, which will create a new instance of a new data type for each iteration, I'm not too knowledge by the .All method itself, so I'm not sure if that would also instantiate a new class type.

Also I think foreach will generate garbage if they are iterating anything other than a struct, so a for loop is the simplest wayt.

27. xVergilx

xVergilx

Lambda is better than that mess. Seriously. As a long-term C# user, I can say I prefer LINQ over default code when it's not causing GC.

Foreach DOES NOT generate garbage when iterating over arrays, lists etc. Over everything that isn't method call that allocates memory. It was patched ages ago, even on Unity .Net version.

As for the code itself. I believe that OnClientSceneChanged is called ONCE. So it doesn't really matter that much, whether it allocates memory, or not. Stop thinking about premature optimizations, it won't lead you anywhere.

Main goal should be code readibility and stability. Everything else goes latter on. HLAPI failed in those two before. Now it's better than ever. My two cents.

28. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress: working on some scene switching bugs. I implemented zones for my uMMORPG asset, where the client disconnects from one server, loads another scene, then connects to another server. Sounds simple, but turns out that scene switching causes a lot of random bugs in the HLAPI.

My first step was to detect the situations that would cause random bugs later on. I added several safeguards to ClientScene. This way we see an error message every single time when there was a state issue on the Client, instead of proceeding as usual only to run into random errors later on because of that state issue.
    (mostly because spawnableObjects were messed up)

The next step will be to actually fix those state issues completely. I am still tracking down all the places where things go wrong and I am still researching the best way to actually fix this. So this will take a bit longer.

Looks like another fundamental HLAPI flaw, and I remember a whole lot of people complaining about scene switching on the forum before. This will probably work soon..

29. Saishy

Saishy

The whole point was that was less readable than a for loop.
    The garbage thing was just a lesson because apparently it was not understood.

Ah, thanks for confirming, I said "I think" because I also thought I saw that but was not sure.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  30. aabramychev

aabramychev

Unity Technologies

@Stormy102 No idea :( I forwarded your question to colleagues

Stormy102 and mischa2k like this.
  31. mischa2k

mischa2k

Update: uploaded a new version, STABLE and EXPERIMENTAL are now the same.

• [2017-08-24] 'Did not find target for sync message' Warning text improved to note that this can be completely normal in some cases, e.g. when an arrow is destroyed, but the arrow's movement message comes in a bit later due to how UDP works.
    • Fixed NetworkDiscovery, I forgot to initialize the in buffer last time

Still tracking down the load scene bug today. Also seems like an automated UNET test project is really necessary soon.

xVergilx likes this.
  32. markus_fake

markus_fake

Hello, @vis2k .

And thanks for the great work! Small question: how closely you follow the official HLAPI? It seems that currently the UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkWriter.AsArray is not implemented.

mischa2k likes this.
  33. mischa2k

mischa2k

I try to keep it 100% compatible with the original HLAPI.

Use .ToArray! I removed the NetworkWriter's NetworkBuffer and replaced it with C#'s built in MemoryStream, that's why .AsArray and .AsArraySegment aren't needed anymore. They were used to pass the internal buffer to the outside - you probably shouldn't do that anyway because it's really risky and makes errors almost impossible to debug.

34. larus

larus

Unity Technologies

@Stormy102, regarding merging these changes, straight up bugfixes should be straightforward to grab and are very welcome. They will just require a test written or at least a repro case for manual QA verification (if repro exists in existing bug report then this is easier), so can't just be grabbed blindly and applied (even though they look trivial). At a glance these changes cannot just be merged wholesale into the official source.
    • There should be no allocations at runtime, in our own work fixes/changes which allocate are usually rejected, this is a requirement from Unity devs in general some of whom go to great lengths eliminating all runtime allocations from their games. We do indeed have some allocations in the HLAPI code right now which accidentally snuck in, but they are basically considered bugs (one offs being very low priority bugs, but still). Some effort here has been spent on simplifying the code but introducing allocations in the process.
    • Other code simplifications which we can't get rid of in the official code, like using properties for public fields (this is a code guideline we must follow), or removal of websocket handling (we need to have some support for WebGL).
    • That said, I think this project looks great and is something we were hoping people would do. Making a generic fits all high level API is tricky. Devs being able to just take the source and modifying it according to their needs was a part of the intent of releasing the source to begin with, it's great when people then release those changes for others to use.
    We'll hopefully get some time in the immediate future to make a pass over this and cherry pick stuff, but this will take some time.

xVergilx, TwoTen, nxrighthere and 3 others like this.
  35. mischa2k

mischa2k

Thanks for the info.

I don't fully agree with the notion to avoid allocations in all cases. That's why the code got so bloated and buggy. The logical thing to do is to simplify and rewrite all the bad parts, otherwise the HLAPI will still suck two years from now. But yea that's not your fault. Good news is that you made it open source, that's worth a lot. So at least the community can tinker around with it without Unity's restrictions, hopefully coming up with something better. Rules and management don't fix code after all.

About cherry picking fixes: I already reported the majority of those bugs+fixes during the last two years..

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    Stormy102 and Natalynn like this.
  36. Wriggler

Wriggler

This is a great project @vis2k, thanks for all your hard work.

Ben

mischa2k likes this.
  37. Saishy

Saishy

The code is bloated and buggy because it was rushed by many different people and then abandoned.

Avoiding allocation is common for games and shouldn't ever result in buggy code.

Stormy102 likes this.
  38. Driiades

Driiades

Hey !

I share a bug fix I found last month for "inactive" networked Gameobject. This gameobjects are not added to networkIdentity observer when a client become ready. This cause a lot of bugs when you have some networked Gameobjects inactive and you want to...use them ... ^^

The code to place on OnClientReady (on the server) :

Code (CSharp):
    2.         private void AddObserverToInactive(NetworkConnection conn)
    3.         {
    4.             if (conn.connectionId == 0)
    5.             {
    6.                 //local host has observer added to inactive NetworkBehaviours by SetClientReady already
    7.                 return;
    8.             }
    10.             foreach (NetworkIdentity netId in NetworkServer.objects.Values)
    11.             {
    12.                 if (netId == null)
    13.                 {
    14.                     Debug.LogError("Trying to add observer to object of null NetworkIdentity.", this);
    15.                     continue;
    16.                 }
    17.                 if (!netId.gameObject.activeSelf)
    18.                 {
    19.                     MethodInfo OnCheckObserver = typeof(NetworkIdentity).GetMethod("OnCheckObserver", BindingFlags.NonPublic | BindingFlags.Instance);
    20.                     MethodInfo AddObserver = typeof(NetworkIdentity).GetMethod("AddObserver", BindingFlags.NonPublic | BindingFlags.Instance);
    22.                     if ((bool)OnCheckObserver.Invoke(netId, new object[] { conn }))
    23.                     {
    24.                         AddObserver.Invoke(netId, new object[] { conn });
    25.                     }
    26.                 }
    27.             }
    28.         }

Maybe you don't have to use reflection like me because you already are in the HLAPI. I think it's a huge bug fix ! (It was not a bug because it was "by design" in the HALPI ... but it sucks so much to not synchronize inactive gameObject omg... And that cause a serie of bug when coding your game :s ).

39. faviann

faviann

@larus On our project we have multiple fixes we worked on for the HLAPI.

There's at least one that makes a huge difference because of the amount of boxing done by the dictionaries (from the NetworkScene class). What's the best approach to push that fix? (Really really simple and almost sure of not breaking anything)

The other fixes helped a lot the performance when having massive amounts of instances. They're not that intrusive (not changing the API). They do toy a bit with the lifecycle/update part of objects and without any automated test from you guys I would not be comfortable doing some kind of pull request them since I don't know all contract/expectations you guys have over the lifecycle and timings. Anyways curious what the best channel for this would be.

@vis2k
    I'm not sure I understood the licensing part. Is it open-source (something MIT-like without the right to resell) along with a suggestion to donate for a commercial use of the library? Or it is more something along to get to use the code in your project (commercial use) you ask to pay for a license?

40. Stormy102

Stormy102

Thanks for
    Unity released the HLAPI under the MIT license

41. mischa2k

mischa2k

Maybe it's better to disable all their components instead.

The license is 'all rights reserved' until I come up with a proper license. I just haven't decided yet. I thought this donation based model is a good idea, but that doesn't work at all. Maybe I'll use a 'free for personal use' and 'paid for commercial use' license to make up for development time / costs. I am open to suggestions.

chiapet1021 and Stormy102 like this.
  42. Stormy102

Stormy102

@vis2k I don't know if this is a known bug with the original HLAPI, but it appears that whenever I load a networkIdentity prefab from an Asset Bundle in the editor the networkassetid is invalid. However, it's fine when loaded in standalone. Anyone seen this before?

43. mischa2k

mischa2k

AssetIds are assigned in OnPostProcessScene, that's why that won't work.

44. Stormy102

Stormy102

These are prefabs stored in the assets. They already appear to have NetworkAssetIDs.

45. mischa2k

mischa2k

Update: uploaded a new experimental version. This one is very important:

• [2017-08-25] Fixed Client Scene Switching/Loading
      • Problem: switching a scene would sometimes cause random object spawning errors and 'target not found' messages due to corrupted state.
      • Solution: I analyzed the Client<->Server handshake to find out at which point the client state got messed up. If the server sends a scene change message to the client, then there is no guarantee that this message arrives before the rest of the initialization (like object spawning). If the message arrives during initialization, then the scene will be loaded asynchronously and after the scene was loaded, all the state data like spawned objects are nulled. HLAPI Pro uses a new pausing mechanism that delays all message handling while a scene is loaded, making sure that all the spawning works perfectly fine even if spawn messages are received during a scene load.

Zullar, xVergilx and Stormy102 like this.
  46. faviann

faviann

Yes I know but I was asking for HLAPI Pro. The HLAPI is under MIT/X11 but the MIT license allows for sublicensing and I did not want to assume that HLAPI Pro would fall under the same license and just throw in code contribution without asking.

47. mischa2k

mischa2k

Again sorry about the whole license thing. I just didn't have the time to deal with that yet, fixing the code seemed more important. I can't write those things myself since I am not a lawyer, so I'll have to go through all those existing licenses soon to find one that matches best.

48. greeneninjagames

greeneninjagames

Cloud build is worthless if using this .dll right? I'm assuming so, but I wanted to ask in case there was a magic hax available to make it work.

49. mischa2k

mischa2k

Haven't tried it, but that would probably use the original HLAPI yes.

50. amynox

amynox

@vis2k Great work and initiative !

But... its seems to me that Unity is kind of abandoning UNET, we didn't hear any thing from them in the blog or there last events... No public roadmap, no communination... Maybe i'm miss-informed ?