Search Unity

Unity Multiplayer Mirror - Networking for Unity (UNET Replacement)

Discussion in 'Connected Games' started by vis2k, Aug 11, 2016.

1. vis2k

vis2k

Yes, that's doable. Mirror is server authoritative by default.

2. thesupersoup

thesupersoup

Presenting MirrorpunchSteam
    I'll be working on it and testing intensely throughout the week. It's likely to have problems in its current state, but it's a start.
    Questions for the more learned:
    • I wanted a way to be able to unregister events for cleaner shutdown, so in the root MirrorpunchSteam I set Action variables to lambda expressions so I could do so. Are there any issues with this approach?
    • How does the NetworkManager handle connection ids, if I'm assigning them in the transport. Is it fairly agnostic to how it routes data associated with connection ids?

Refeas likes this.
  3. newlife

newlife

thanks for the reply. Does mirror also support matchmaking and room creation?

4. MonkeyS_Finger

MonkeyS_Finger

there is a way co connect with another project to a main project network? I wold like to create two different unity projects that use a thirf project as server for sharing data.
    could this be possible with mirror?
    Could you please point me into the right direction?
    thanks.

5. vis2k

vis2k

Latest showcase: Rogue Star Rescue - a roguelike tower defense game made with Mirror!

It's not in Mirror by default, but you can do that with Mirror.

We recommend using one project for everything. That's what Mirror was for after all.

6. MonkeyS_Finger

MonkeyS_Finger

I know that but I need to control some parameters by a different device, and is impossible to make that project work on a very different device.
    So it's impossible to make connect two different projects?
    If I use LLAPI to create a custom socket, do Mirror could have any trouble?

7. vis2k

vis2k

Not 100% sure what you mean. Perhaps our Multiplex transport is useful for you.

8. antsonthetree

antsonthetree

Hello - I need to send a collection of structs or classes to a client using TargetRPC. The data is just a string and an int. I am currently planning on doing this as follows:

Code (CSharp):
    1. class MyThing
    2. {
    3.     string Name;
    4.     int Age;
    5. }
    7. void TargetSendData(NetworkConnection conn, List<MyThing> data)
    8. {
    9.     // do stuff with data
    10. }
    My question - Is this the best way to do this in regards to network performance and bandwidth? Should I use a struct instead of a class? Possibly a different type of collection vs List?

This is not something that will be called repeatedly but I'd still like to keep it as performant as possible.

Thanks
    Jake

9. vis2k

vis2k

New Feature: SyncToOwner. Each component can be configured to sync to all observers, or only to owner. This will save large amounts of bandwidth for components like a player inventory, that shouldn't be synced to anyone else. Enjoy!

You can't send Lists in Rpcs. Only simple types like int, string, bool, int[], string[], etc. and structs like SomeStruct, SomeStruct[], and so on. In your case, simply send an Array and make sure that it's a struct.

akuno, KarlGG, psistalk and 1 other person like this.
  10. castor76

castor76

Hi Does Mirror supports NAT punch through? Also, does it support console platforms? Has anyone shipped a game using mirror on console platforms? Or attempted?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  11. vis2k

vis2k

Check out mirror-networking.com for our showcase.
    Mirror doesn't really care what platform you use it for, they all work.
    Check out our UDP transports, I think a few of them might be able to support nat punchthrough.

12. goldbug

goldbug

New Feature: Custom readers and writers.

Since the dawn of time, HLAPI and Mirror have only been able to deal with a limited number of data types. Simple things like passing a DateTime or Uri as parameters in your [Command], [Rpc] or [SyncVar] would give you an error.

Starting with version 3.17.2 available at https://github.com/vis2k/Mirror/releases, you can extend Mirror and add support for any type you desire. All you need to do do is add extension methods for NetworkReader and NetworkWriters. For example:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public static class DateTimeReaderWriter
    2. {
    3.       public static void WriteDateTime(this NetworkWriter writer, DateTime dateTime)
    4.       {
    5.           writer.WriteInt64(dateTime.Ticks);
    6.       }
    8.       public static DateTime ReadDateTime(this NetworkReader reader)
    9.       {
    10.           return new DateTime(reader.ReadInt64());
    11.       }
    12. }
    There is no reflection involved. The weaver will find your extensions and use them just as if you were writing the code by hand, there is no performance penalty at all. Thanks to @vis2k for keeping me honest and help me find the simplest way to achieve this feature.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  13. francescoStrada

francescoStrada

Hi, with mirror what are my options of sending RPC to specific clients?

14. goldbug

goldbug

15. antsonthetree

antsonthetree

Hello - I noticed in some of the comments that you have removed a lot of linq code for performance reasons. Can you talk a bit about this? I was not aware that using linq is a performance hit, and a quick google search seems to indicate that it is not. I'm just curious.

16. Refeas

Refeas

A lot of the Linq functions cause allocations which are pretty performance heavy and can cause big spikes on CPU. You can observe this in the "GC Allocs" column in the Profiler.

antsonthetree and vis2k like this.
  17. Vancete

Vancete

Is there a way to get the connected users before connecting to a server? I want to make something like a server list.

18. vis2k

vis2k

Check out our list server: https://mirror-networking.com/list-server/

19. antsonthetree

antsonthetree

Hello and thanks for the info. Another question - what about using Async and Await? Is this frowned upon for the same reasons? I seem to recall you guys ditching these functions too. Should I use Coroutines over asyncs?

20. vis2k

vis2k

Async/await is common thing to use in C#. Unity's mono backend however seems to have serious performance issues with that. None of the async/await transports that we tried managed to scale past 100 CCU. It's so slow in Unity that we end up with 120 second latencies.

If you use a few async/await calls for non-transport stuff then that's probably fine of course.

antsonthetree likes this.
  21. danicolaj2

danicolaj2

Hi, I can connect clientB to HostA with Mirror, but only in LAN.

Usually if that happens the issue is that the port is not open/forwarded properly on the modem, but I believe that's not the case: from a unix server somewhere out there in Europe, I "telnet <mywanip> 7777" and telnet connects, ONLY if my HostA is running and listening to 7777, otherwise the connection fails. I believe that proves that I can access hostA through port 7777 from the net, so port is open and properly forwarded.

Since I'm not a networking expert.... that's pretty much where I grind to a halt.

To summarize:

hostA listening on port 7777 - clientB connecting to 192.168.1.33 port 7777 (LAN) - WORKS
    hostA listening on port 7777 - clientB connecting to 312.122.122.111 port 7777 (WAN) - DOES NOT CONNECT
    hostA listening on port 7777 - remote server running "telnet 312.122.122.111 7777" CONNECTS (obviously nothing happens but it connects)
    hostA NOT listening on port 7777 - remote server running "telnet 312.122.122.111 7777" does NOT connect (proving that in the case above hostA:port are reachable from the net)

help?
    dani

22. vis2k

vis2k

We usually recommend hosting on Namecheap.com (not because they are the best, but it works without configuration), or Google Cloud (you do need to open firewall ports there though).

Different hosters might require different configurations.

23. vis2k

vis2k

Showcase: Project Cybertronic

Previously developed with UNET, now powered by Mirror!
    Check out their website: https://cybertronic.red/

24. Roamer79

Roamer79

Ok upgraded from 1095 to latest. Got some problems:

ClientScene.AddPlayer(conn, msg);
    Cannot convert from Mirror.StringMessage to byte[]

Whats changed? Having trouble finding the documentation on this update.

Thanks

25. calvinstreeting

calvinstreeting

hi.
    can mirror be used to remotly control a main camera
    aka Main Host is full screen window that shows a scene and it lanches (via button or key press) another window (threaded application call) that renders a lesser version of same scene (less graphic quality) that when the camera (orbit control) is moved this changes the camera in the main full screen parent window to match. like a remote control view sub window thingy :)

just want to know if this is posible (before i start alot of reading and codeing the parts etc.)

Many thanks

26. vis2k

vis2k

Please post the exact error

27. Roamer79

Roamer79

That was the exact error! Don't worry its fixed. Can I suggest though. Stuff like these little network manager changes break existing projects. I hope that changing the AddPlayer from stringmessages to bytes is REALLY REALLY worth it. The great thing about Mirror is that you import it and are not greeted by a sea of red. Important to keep it that way as much as possible IMHO;)

28. vis2k

vis2k

We try to keep it this way, unless where completely necessary. E.g. in that case above.

29. silverair

silverair

I'm thinking about a mobile game
    based on a room for 4 player.

Making them P2P doesn't seem like a good choice.

So I think I need to manage the server by myself.

When the player to create room, the master server to run a server process.
    so it's dynamic create server process in each room.

It's basically the function of Master Server Framework, the Asset.

But this Asset doesn't seem to support mirror.

Is there any alternative?