Search Unity

Third Party mirror: is there a way to quick join

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Amph1dian, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Amph1dian

Amph1dian

is there a way to quick join
    like join a random server/room

cuz ive watched a lot of videos and they connect using ip adresses
    but if ur making a real game that wouldent be fun

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

The examples using IP address are because that is the simplest way to get something working. What you're asking about is either a lobby system or match maker. I'm sure there are examples doing that with Mirror, but it is a pretty big topic on its own. Googling "unity mirror lobby" a bunch of video tutorials appeared for me.

Mirror offers a List Server service (paid subscription), which handles part or maybe all of that, not sure, haven't used it.

If you're having players host the games themselves, you'll also need to either set up a relay server or NAT punchthrough, and that's another entire big topic and not something the List server includes. Writing a solution yourself to implement either is non-trivial. Maybe there's a tutorial or ready made asset available, otherwise it isn't something you'd want to work on when just starting with networking as it is complicated.

3. Nurallaerel

Nurallaerel

Do you think it is possible to create server and handle networking with Mirror, but connect players and manage lobby with Unity Gaming Services? https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/com.unity.services.samples.game-lobby
    I don't have good knowledge of how relaying works and not sure if I should spend time time trying to combine these two technologies