Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Third Party Mirror for noobs

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Janglish, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Janglish

Janglish

Hi Community,

I try really hard to understand the basics of mirror in Unity and watched some videos from Dapper Dino.

But i still dont get it all.
    The easiest case seems to be: you do something on the client that calls a command on the server who then calls a rpc to send updated information to all the clients.
    Or use a synVar with a hook to run a method on all the clients when one value is updated.

But how can I send different information for each clients?

Lets say as an easy examples i want to send each client his own Connection ID from the Server and have a Textfield displaying this id on each client, so that each client only sees his own Connection ID?

Thanks in advance.

2. mischa2k

mischa2k

Check out the built in examples, probably easiest to learn.
    And join our discord. Thousands of people there who help each other out :)

BetaMark likes this.
  3. BetaMark

BetaMark

@Janglish I want to point out that Dapper Dino (aka Nathan Farrer) also has an excellent tutorial over on Udemy that goes from start to finish with building an RTS game in multiplayer with Mirror. It teaches everything from how to stand up the client and server with the built in UIs, to how to handle 3 + players, and all of the other game design questions you have to ask yourself when building a multiplayer game. It might not be completely "noob" friendly, but it really does cover all the bases that I think you'd need to know to make a mirror multiplayer game.

mischa2k likes this.