Search Unity

Mirror Animation without changing foot step order

Discussion in 'Animation' started by ColtonKadlecik_VitruviusVR, Mar 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColtonKadlecik_VitruviusVR

ColtonKadlecik_VitruviusVR

Hey All,

I know from the title this doesn't make sense so let me explain.

I am using this walk animation : https://www.mixamo.com/#/?page=1&query=walk&type=Motion,MotionPack and this walk left turn animation: https://www.mixamo.com/#/?page=1&query=walking+turn&type=Motion,MotionPack in a blend tree in mechanim. I need a create a walk right turn animation from the walk left turn animation. Mirroring the left turn animation causes the character to hop when blending because the foot step order has now changed (currently it is left then right but is right then left when mirrored).

I know this likely cant be accomplished in Unity and I am fine with using motion builder but I am far from a pro. My current approach was to combine both (copy key frames) mirrored and normal version of the animation (hips/spine/neck/head from mirrored and legs/arms from normal). I think this would have worked but the legs/feet are somehow not copying their local data correctly and trying to get back to the position from the other animation (somehow pinned?).

Let me know if anything is still unclear
    Cheers,
    Colton

EDIT: Found out links to work, walking animation is like the 12th one on the page and walking left is 3rd one

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  2. ColtonKadlecik_VitruviusVR

ColtonKadlecik_VitruviusVR

Hey All,

I ended up getting this to work:

1. Mirror the animation in mixamo
    2. Add to motion builder
    3. Added clip to story and duplicated, matched the second animation to the first (animation played seamlessly twice)
    4. Trimmed the beginning of the animation so the legs matched up with what I needed
    5. Trimmed the end of the animation so the animation was the same length as all other run anims

Cheers,
    Colton

3. johnlumsdendeveloper

johnlumsdendeveloper

Old question but i had the exact issue. I easily resolved it in Unity by mirroring the right animation i had, then in the Animation pane, under Loop Time, there is a Cycle Offset. Testing for both 0 and 1 showed they were the same, therefore putting an offset of 0.5 meant the feet were now in the correct order for the left turn. The blend tree i was working on worked seamlessly after that.

leoramosthomas and BCProgramming like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.