Search Unity

Minor "Ragdoll" effect on hit ?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by StefNN, Jul 31, 2021.

1. StefNN

StefNN

Hi, im currently working on a little prototype, i have been using Unity for like 3-4 years now, but mostly prototyping basic stuff.

So i don't really know what kind of level i am, but not a complete beginner.

I would like some idea or suggestion, or even know if it's too time consuming for what im trying to achieve.
    I'd like to add that i don't have any experience in physic or IK, i did read and watched some video about it, but never put it in practice.

So, what im trying to do, is a little "impact" effect, when a hit land.
    For context, im doing a top-down, melee fighting game, in 3D
    So i could just do animation for that, but i would like to blend it with a little physics.
    For example purpose let's say that my character have an hammer, and do an horizontal strike with it.
    It hit the ennemy right in front of him, i would like to have like a procedural animation for the upper body to go with the strike, and maybe a knockback.

What are the way i should be digging to, for accomplish this kind of stuff ?

2. bobadi

bobadi

have you found out something?

you know there's 3 systems on the asset store and one or two on github.

but if you write your own
    I think first you should know if the collision is happening w a skinned object, static object... if it has a rigidbody, moves by physics or animation or code

then if you want full physics while reaction (then it's basically active ragdoll)

animations look best if it's reaction with a step
    for skeleton bending you can use ccd ik, rotate, lookat type modification, etc based on the collision velocity vector (direction, magnitude, and resistance, I guess)
    but I still think animation would be better for performance, and simpler