Search Unity

Minimum recommended system requirements

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by jmikeb, Nov 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmikeb

jmikeb

I tried to run the demo that came with Unity. Everything except the 2d game was extremely laggy. I even reduced the clipping from 5,000 to 50. Still laggy.

Can someone recommended a low-cost notebook that will be able to run the 3d games very smoothly?

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

I've linked the minimum system requirements page below, but your question can't really be answered because it depends entirely on the game itself. If I wanted I could write a game in Unity that would run on practically any graphics hardware within the past decade or I could write one that requires the latest and greatest cards available.

http://unity3d.com/unity/system-requirements

Martin_H likes this.
  3. jmikeb

jmikeb

To answer my own question: there's no way of knowing whether or not you'll be able to create even the most basic of games using Unity because its developers refuse to be clear on recommended system specs.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    SujitSwaroop likes this.
  4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

As Ryiah said, that's not possible. Nobody's "refusing" to be clear about anything. It depends almost 100% on the game. It would be simple to make a project that runs terribly on all existing hardware, and it would also be simple to make a project that runs great on all hardware.

--Eric

Martin_H likes this.
  5. jmikeb

jmikeb

Right, and since you're assessing 100% of the dependency to the game, I have given you 100% all of the information required to answer the question clearly. I'm asking what kind of hardware would be required to run "the sample games that come with Unity" smoothly (i.e. 57 fps?).

Apart from that, the answer you guys are providing is not only 99% useless, it's also common sense and therefore condescending and pretty insulting. If I didn't come understand what you guys were saying in the first place, I wouldn't have been intelligent enough to register for a forum, and I wouldn't be here asking the question. So, what's the point of providing such an answer? A guise of support or is it truly malicious: intentional condescension?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
    SujitSwaroop likes this.
  6. Ryiah

Ryiah

You've definitely stated the necessary information now. Some of the demos that Unity has made available are actually fairly demanding (ie Viking Village). I want to suggest, assuming you're referring to those with the airplane and car, that modern Intel HD (ideally 5000+) should work but I don't know how smooth it'll be.

Personally I wouldn't use anything short of actual dedicated graphics hardware. I tend to point people towards MSI's gaming laptops as they have good specifications for reasonably affordable prices. Here are two examples with the second having approximately two or three times the graphics performance.

http://www.amazon.com/CX61-i5-4210M-Windows-Notebook-Computer/dp/B00W8FEC9U/
    http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Leopard-15-6-inch-i5-4210H-Computer/dp/B015YLY8XE/

Martin_H likes this.
  7. Martin_H

Martin_H

Keep going like this and you'll have burned through 100% of the good will people have towards any newbie on this forum in no time. But if you change your attitude right now, start assuming that people on this forum generally mean well and are trying to help, you'll have a much better time here and receive better answers to your questions.

8. DEVLOPER_KAKASHI

DEVLOPER_KAKASHI

....iam not here to ans.sorry but I want to ask one question can I make a indie games in my 2 gb ram computer because just opening unity takes 30min so please can anyone help me to find out please.

9. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

@DEVLOPER_KAKASHI Welcome to the Unity forums! Generally you'll want to open a new thread instead of responding to posts that are several years old. But if you are OK with the 30 min load time, then you might be able to do a few tutorials. Otherwise you will need a more powerful system for development work, generally with 4-8 gb ram or more.

DEVLOPER_KAKASHI likes this.
  10. Ryiah

Ryiah

What's the rest of the hardware attached to that 2GB?

DEVLOPER_KAKASHI likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.