Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Minimum OS requirement changed in LTS ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tom163, Nov 2, 2023.

1. Tom163

Tom163

Did the minimum MacOS version change to 10.15 in the LTS version?

I have an old build machine sitll on 10.14 for reasons. Until recently, everything was just fine. For a while now my builds for MacOS fail for no apparent reason. Today a short error message flashed by (but it's not in the console) that IL2CPP for Apple Silicon requires at least 10.15

I changed nothing in my build settings. I have been updating the editor whenever a new version came out, assuming that LTS means nothing will break.

I swear, Unity is becoming more and more a badly cobbled-together collection of parts, some of which are well-maintained and some of which are pretty shoddy.

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Which Unity version are you on? We have tests running with IL2CPP on macOS 10.14 on both 2021.3 and 2022.3 and they're passing. That said we did increase minimum macOS version to 11.0 starting in 2023.2, but that is not LTS yet.

When the builds fail, what does the log say?

That message you mentioned is super strange. What did it look like? Like an OS pop up? Something else? 10.15 was never our minspec, and Apple silicon Macs don't support anything before macOS 11.

3. Tom163

Tom163

I'm on MacOS 10.14.6 with Unity 2022.3.12f1 when I get this error. I didn't get it with 2022.3.10f1

Nothing, actually. Just build fail. The actual error that says something about IL2CPP an 10.15 just flashed up in the console for a fraction of a second once, but then disappeared, is not in the log on disk or anything. That's why I can't say what exactly it said. I only got a glimpse at it.

4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Can you share the editor log of such build failing?

5. Tom163

Tom163

As I wrote: There's nothing in the log. One time something flashed in the console and then disappeared. I even did a grep over the entire log directory to no avail.

6. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

The Editor.log file from a failed build should contain something: at the very least your system information so we could try reproducing on a similar machine. At best, it will tell us which build step (of very many that we have) is failing on your machine, alongside with a stacktrace or an invocation showing what went wrong.

I went and triple checked that Unity and IL2CPP works on macOS 10.14.6 (and it does). So we are really unsure why it doesn't work on your machine.

7. Tom163

Tom163

I can confirm now that upgrading a project from 2022.3.10 to 2022.3.13 leads to Linux builds breaking, in both Mono and IL2CPP.

It does so with NOTHING in the console, at all. There is also nothing at all in the editor.log that's even remotely related.

System information:
    macOS 10.14.6
    iMac 2017, Intel Core i5
    16 GB RAM
    Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

I'll try a downgrade to 3.10 now and will report. It'll take a while.

8. Tom163

Tom163

Can confirm that after downgrade back to 2022.3.10 the build works just fine.

9. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

You first mentioned builds for macOS, in the last post you mentioned Linux builds. Are you targeting macOS or Linux with your builds? If you're targeting both, do both builds break? Does anything get produced in the build output folder in case of a failed build?

It sounds like we're approaching the end of what we can figure out via a forum post so I'd recommend reporting a bug. This is not a known issue and will need an investigation on our side.

10. Tom163

Tom163

I build for all 3 PC platforms, so I may have mixed things up there.

There is no output, and the build folder is empty.

Yes, you are right. I should report a bug.

11. Tom163

Tom163

And I don't know what you guys did, but in the 2022.3.16 this bug has disappeared.

That said, the error message about IL2CPP is now obvious, and contrary to what was stated above, it HAS been raised.

Fine, I'll just build Mono, but still, changes like that shouldn't be in an LTS version.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2024
  12. Tom163

Tom163

aaand, turns out I was wrong. I had somewhere changed to Mono. In 2022.3.16 at least the error message appears:

Error building Player: IL2CPP scripting backend requires macOS 11 SDK (Xcode 12.2) or newer to be installed when targeting Apple silicon devices. Currently installed macOS SDK version is 10.15.​

and from the Apple website: "Xcode 12.2 requires a Mac running macOS 10.15.4 or later."

13. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

If you want to target Apple silicon devices (rather than just Intel Macs) with IL2CPP, you have to use at least Xcode 12.2, as that is the first version that supports compiling C++ code for Apple silicon. This is not Unity's limitation, and this was there right from the first version of Unity that supported Apple silicon devices (Unity 2020.2).

If you switch target architecture to Intel, then this requirement goes away. Furthermore, this requirement doesn't exist for Mono because we don't need to compile any C++ code to perform the build.

This is reflected in our system requirements:

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/system-requirements.html

Code (csharp):
    1. For development: IL2CPP scripting backend requires Xcode. Targeting Apple Silicon with IL2CPP scripting backend requires macOS Catalina 10.15.4 and Xcode 12.2 or newer.
    Same in requirements for Unity 2020.2:

https://docs.unity3d.com/2020.2/Documentation/Manual/system-requirements.html

14. Tom163

Tom163

Thanks. Yes, I am building universal binaries for MacOS. Steam doesn't have an option to deliver different binaries depending on Intel/Apple silicon, so that's the only possible route.