Search Unity

Minimum Macbook Pro Specs for casual Unity dev

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 11tomi12, Jun 16, 2018.

1. 11tomi12

11tomi12

Hello guys!
    I hope I didn't miss the correct forum section.

I am looking for a newer Macbook Pro(2016, 2017) for casual game dev in Unity and especially building games for iOS. What specs do I need to run Unity smoothly?
    Would a MacBook Pro 13 with a dual core i5 at 3.1gHz and a integrated Iris plus 650 suffice?
    My other options are a 15" version with a dedicated Radeon GPU. But those models are quite more expensive!

I didn't find much info on that so any opinions would be nice!

2. N1warhead

N1warhead

I've got a MacBook laying around from like mid 2013 or something like that. And it works fine. Never tried to make anything extravagant with it. But nevertheless, it worked for simple things perfectly fine.

3. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I use a couple of 2017 mbps as primary dev machines. Work great.

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Generally speaking the better the processor the faster compiling will complete and the quicker you can get back to testing a game after you've made a change to a script.

Beyond that the other component minimums should all be fine just keep in mind that the system memory is soldered to the mainboard and can't be upgraded down the road. If you plan on running multiple heavy apps at once (especially a browser with multiple tabs) you may want to consider that 16GB.