Search Unity

minimum hw specs to load fps sample?

Discussion in 'FPS.Sample Game' started by rsud, Apr 7, 2019.

1. rsud

rsud

Hello, I am trying to run the FPS sample on a 2014 i5 mac mini with 8GB of memory (and running windows 7). After building the game I am starting the headless server with two clients and it partially loads and then fails for various reasons. Sometimes I get to the point of one of the clients showing the game lobby and I hear the game music cut in and out. In task manager I see memory is maxed out. My FPS rate shows as 3 or 4.

So.... looks like a 2014 mac mini with 8GB can't do it. What are recommended minimum specs to successfully run this FPS sample game with enough head room for some further development in this sample? I am not finding too much info on this, a pointer would be great.

Thank you for any help.

2. keeponshading

keeponshading

In case there is an Intel HD 5000 inside
    https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

there are 599 faster GPU s available. You can sort the list after rank.
    With rank 1 to 30 you should have fun.

3. AggressiveMastery

AggressiveMastery

Hello Rsud and Community!

Hardware Requirements: These change based on your game, and what you have included in it. So the answer is not clear, its a game by game issue.

You could take the FPS Sample, strip all the graphics away/out- by building a new level with only Cubes and planes, hence reducing the graphic/hardware load to run it. You could also replace the guns, players, projectiles ect with lower res units like squares and spheres to enable a low-hardware low-resolution game that will most likely run on any piece of hardware able to run a current OS.

That demand will increase, based on how many players join and create more work for the server/clients to do. Hence raising the hardware requirements.

As it stands right now, the FPS Sample 3.0 and prior, are software (unity) work SAMPLES of future graphics. Because of this, they are the MOST DEMANDING & Buggy hardware-demand wise, when fully abused/bugged (think layers). To run the FPS sample as seen in the demos on youtube from unity, you will most likely need an actual graphics card in your system, or a current enough CPU to hold something... (really) better than older gear. If it does not support DirectX 11, it won't get to display all the attributes of the sample anyway.

So really, the minimal hardware specs most likely start at "DirectX 11 support" to see things as expressed by the FPS Team. But if YOU wanted to make a game that used this FPS sample, and ran on lower end systems, you can totally modify it to hit that goal.

You may want a more powerful system, to do that modding, instead of being on the system that cannot run it.

DirectX10, 9, ect may still RUN the demo, and may run it at 60+ FPS just fine, but you are missing out on the current or next-gen visual effect the FPS Sample is supposed to be showing you, so I can't define the "Acceptable Hardware Specs" to be something that does not show all of the sample. Even if it can run it, at good FPS.

For your exact example, ditch level_01 and use level_00, as level_00 is MUCH less graphic intensive. With the laptop you have, you will be limited to generating content that is lower resolution.. . <sidenote :> unless you are a mad man like me, can code proc-gen to make your levels autogenerate at runtime from smaller chucks... Then you could make small chucks of higher detail at a time, and ONLY see them together when te game runs... But, I'm not even doing that, I still run the smaller chucks on this beast PC :)</sidenote>

Good Luck! Have Fun!
    Micah

Beast PC being:
    Win10 - Intel i7x8700k @ 4.8Ghz
    32GB 4133mhz DDR4
    1x1080Ti 11GB GPU
    2xSamsun m2 500GB 960 hard drives (raid0, but I would go bigger and raid 1 now... it does double write speeds from 1.5GB to 3.+, but when I built the system it was for gaming, so read was all that I really cared for, which stays about the same between raid0/1)
    Feeding a Vizio D50u1 4k display at 60hz, fps-sample runs at 60fps pretty steady at 4k on level_01, well over 120fps at lower res.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  4. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

Unfortunately, per the github page the sample project only works on Windows for client & server. As @AggressiveMastery mentioned, it's most likely due to something being directx 11+ only. That's kind of a shame, hopefully the team behind this is smart enough to figure out how to replace the biased components with something that's platform agnostic... or to come up with a Metal equivalent (thought that wouldn't help Linux users). Of course, given that 5-6 months have gone by since release and it still hasn't happened... maybe not. I do hope they get there someday, it looks potentially really interesting.

5. keeponshading

keeponshading

Sorry my post was a little short and was only focussed on fun running the full FPS Sample with all High Definition Render Pipeline and Shadergraph benefits

6. rsud

rsud

Thanks all.
    Answer was to buy a faster computer and more memory. My nice quiet mac mini can't do this hobby.
    Now I'm listening to fans non-stop but its all up and running at 60fps.

AggressiveMastery likes this.
  7. AggressiveMastery

AggressiveMastery

Welcome to the real pain! :D