Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Minimalist - LowPoly Flat/Gradient Shader

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Isfaq, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Isfaq

Isfaq

forum banner image 720p.png

ASSET STORE | TRY FREE | DOCUMENTATION
    VIDEOS | GALLERY | RATE/REVIEW

Minimalist is a shader package to help you make stunning looking low-poly/stylized games for any platform. Packed with hundreds of parameters with an easily accessible uber inspector, will help customize the look of your game however you want.

Features :
    ☐ Shade all sides of a mesh with Vertex Color/Flat Color/Gradient independently within one material
    ☐ No UV needed for coloring
    ☐ Diffuse Textures support for surface details, decals etc
    ☐ Prebaked/UnityBaked AO support. Customizable
    ☐ Unity Lightmap support. Additive/Multiplicative
    ☐ Global Unity Fog support
    ☐ Per material customizable Height fog
    ☐ Per material color correction
    ☐ Rim Light for rounded objects
    ☐ Ambient Color
    ☐ Color tweakable Realtime Shadow
    ☐ Transparency
    ☐ Double Sided
    ☐ No lighting means High Performance
    ☐ LightWeight Render pipeline
    ☐ Mobile/VR ready
    ☐ Easy to use, comes with a Uber Inspector
    ☐ 8 sample scenes included
    ☐ Gradient Skybox shader included

Contents:
    Minimalist Standard Shader
    Minimalist Standard LWRP Shader
    Minimalist Standard (local space) Shader
    Minimalist Standard (local space) LWRP Shader
    Uber Inspector
    Gradient skybox shader
    8 sample scenes
    Documentation

Would you like me to see where you're using it? Submit a game for the porfolio!

Contacts:
    Twitter: @isfaq98
    Email: isfaqrahman98@gmail.com

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    CandraWi, emma2536 and Bhanshee00 like this.
  2. PhilippCh

PhilippCh

Great asset, love the look of it!

You mention no lighting, but would it in theory support lighting and shadows?

3. Isfaq

Isfaq

Thanks for your compliment.
    Yes, you can have shadows in it and even can customize the shadows. But shadows are performance hungry, so if you want, you can get away without any lighting and shadows in many cases in games the package is intended to be used for.

4. aadityaFF009

aadityaFF009

Hello,
    I emailed you my query, But will ask it here as well in case the mail gets missed.

I wanted to use it in my VR game, however when I tried the demo, the "Unity Fog Support" was not working. Is it intentional in demo version? If yes, then I can use in my VR game without worrying about unity fog?

5. Srokaaa

Srokaaa

Hello,

I'm getting following error when running a game in Unity 2018.3:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Unable to use a named GUIStyle without a current skin. Most likely you need to move your GUIStyle initialization code to OnGUI
    2. UnityEngine.GUIStyle:op_Implicit(String)
    3. Minimalist.MinimalistStandardEditor:.ctor() (at Assets/Minimalist v2.3/Editor/MinimalistStandardEditor.cs:720)
    4. UnityEditor.MaterialEditor:OnEnable()

6. studentutu

studentutu

Good afternoon, can you please update plug-in in correspondence with changed shader API from LWRP - they are pushing the full release of the LWRP 6.0.0 on 23.02.2019 and they have done quite a few major changes. I fear the current version is not compatible even with the latest preview package of LWRP 5.x.x.
    Tested this plug-in with preview 3.0.0, it worked fine even with the shaders enabled )

chipity likes this.
  7. Isfaq

Isfaq

I'm working on a New version of Minimalist. Here are the new features I have in mind for it
    Multi Color Gradient per face [Upto 8 colors]
    Real-time Light support
    New Improved fog
    Directional and Screen Space texture
    Transparency support in all colors
    Lowpoly cloud and water shader
    Unity 2019 compatibility and full LWRP support

Let me know your thoughts. I'll be posting updates on these here.

Vog likes this.
  8. RikiKlein

RikiKlein

I would love the compatibility with 2019 and LWRP.

Isfaq likes this.
  9. RikiKlein

RikiKlein

I just imported it into a 2019.1.1f1 project and I got the following errors:

Attached Files:

10. Isfaq

Isfaq

Can you deselect the object, clear the console and reselect again? It happens sometimes when the editor is showing and compiling at the same time.
    I'm working on it to fix and make it work in 2019 editors. I'll post updates as soon as I'm done.

11. jeremydulong

jeremydulong

I'm using the Free / Standard shader and I can't get shadows to appear on the game object. Is that intentional?

12. RikiKlein

RikiKlein

I just cleared the console on my 2019.1.1f1 Project and it seems to be working.

Isfaq likes this.
  13. Isfaq

Isfaq

Yes. Shadow is only available in the full version and works with the built in render pipeline.

14. asbotan

asbotan

Hi there, love you asset! Wanted to ask you, is it possible to access skybox material's properties (such as exponent and Intensity) from script to change those on the go?

15. pmoberg

pmoberg

In your video for v2 features there is a segment where you add a texture to the top face of the box you are working with. I only have your free version but I dont seem to be able to figure out how to do this. I am able to set a Main Texture but that wraps around the whole object...not just a single face. Is this a Paid feature only?

Thanks,

16. Isfaq

Isfaq

That model's uv was like that. There is no such features to add texture to a particular face yet. You have to uv unwrap your model in a way so that the texture gets placed on whichever face you want.

17. Isfaq

Isfaq

Sorry about the late reply.
    If you select the shader file, you can see the property names in the inspector. For the sky shader, there are the property names : _Color1, _Color2, _Intensity, _Exponent

18. Aseemy

Aseemy

Hi, I am interested in your package but i see a simlar package Called Colr, Can you tell me how your package is better than this one?

19. Isfaq

Isfaq

Hi, Minimalist has a lot more features than any similar assets currently available in the store. Features as intuitive Gradient Editor, Transparency, Prebaked/UnityBaked AO, double-sided and much more. most importantly, every feature is highly customizable with the Custom inspector it has. It uses the latest shader libraries and supports LWRP in Unity 2019. Please check out the feature demo video provided.

20. FutureSystems

FutureSystems

Hi, does the shader support unity lights? I would like to add a directional light with cookie but I can't seem to make it work with the Minimalist Standard shader...

21. FutureSystems

FutureSystems

Is this available? I have downloaded the v.2.4.2 from the Asset Store but can't find this feature...

22. Isfaq

Isfaq

Hi, Minimalist is a custom lighting shader. It doesn't support unity lights, however, It can use directional light for realtime shadow.

23. Isfaq

Isfaq

This feature is still under development along with some other requested features, when done, will come as a separate package. v2.4.2 is a unity 2019 compatibility update with some bug fixes and full lwrp support.

24. Mquaker

Mquaker

I have purchased and used the 2.4.2 pro version.
    And Unity is using 2019.2.6f1.
    I am trying to apply LWRP during the project, but there is an issue.
    The LWRP shaders in 'Minimallist' are all categorized under the 'Failed to compile' category.
    But if you choose 'Standard' it works.
    Does the skybox shader not support LWRP yet? It doesn't render.

androwkcom likes this.
  25. Isfaq

Isfaq

The skybox shader is compatible with both lwrp and built in render pipeline. Can you please make sure that lwrp is properly installed in the project?

26. lorddesu

lorddesu

How can I apply Environment Light from light settings tab?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  27. Isfaq

Isfaq

You can’t apply any unity lights or environment light on objects that uses minimalist shader in realtime since minimalist is a custom lighting solution. However, You can bake the environment lighting and use the lightmap in minimalist shaders.

28. lorddesu

lorddesu

How much performance I get whit this approach? Compare to realtime light

29. Isfaq

Isfaq

Baked lighting is much more faster than realtime lights. You can read more here

lorddesu likes this.
  30. askas2012

askas2012

hey, I can't find a way to enable GPU instancing on this shader, because of that I can't reduce the amount of batches, any ideas? Thanks!

31. Isfaq

Isfaq

Hey, I'm sorry, minimalist doesn't support gpu instancing yet. It's made for mainly static environments. Due to some properties of the shader, gpu instancing won't work.

Edit: I just figured out a way to make gpu instancing work. I'll push an update when it is done, hopefully within this week.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  32. tonywalsh

tonywalsh

Hi Isfaq, I'm working with the paid version of your add-on in Unity 2018.4.11f1 and am seeing a strange new behavior where the rim lighting effect is not working as expected -- it appears to be rotating counter to the direction of the object's rotation. This results in the full color of the rim area being seen by the camera, which is not how this used to work.

I am some team members looking into what might be causing this but we've spent hours on it and can't see what the issue is. Any ideas?

33. Isfaq

Isfaq

Hi, I just tested the rim light feature in 2018.4.0f1 and 2018.4.12f1 and it's working as it supposed to be. Can you please show me a screenshot or video of the problem you are facing? Please note that rim light is meant to be used for spherical surfaces.

34. tonywalsh

tonywalsh

Thanks @Isfaq -- we're going to keep looking at this internally, it's probably a conflict with other shaders in our project, since you can't reproduce. The behavior changed around the same time we added a bunch of new shaders.

Also fwiw, we did get some nice effects using rim on non-spherical surfaces as well. Thanks for your work.

35. roshan090

roshan090

i added the minimalist lwrp in my project in unity 2019.2 its showing me the results in editor but when i am building it for mobile my minimalist object is not viewing on mobile i am using ambient baked light with not any unity light source

36. Isfaq

Isfaq

As we talked in email, I hope your issue has been solved.

roshan090 likes this.
  37. Isfaq

Isfaq

Minimalist v2.4.3 has released. Now you can have GPU instancing with the standard variant of minimalist shader.

38. roshan090

roshan090

thanks for your quick support. i really said that support is quick and very promising.
    thanks

Isfaq likes this.
  39. Alessandro-Previti

Alessandro-Previti

Is outline easy to implement in your shader?

40. Isfaq

Isfaq

Sorry, Outline isn’t available in minimalist as a feature.

41. t1h

t1h

Thanks for your great asset!

I can see the demo scenes with free version.
    But I cannot see the demo scenes with full version.(everything pink color)
    Do I need to set something?

Unity 2019.2, 2018.4 built in render pipeline
    Mac 10.14.6

42. Isfaq

Isfaq

You might have to rebake the lightmaps to make it work correctly after a unity version change.

43. t1h

t1h

I didn't change unity version.
    OK. I create a simple cube scene instead of the demo scene.

I create a new 3D project (not LWRP) in unity 2019.2.21f,
    Import minimalist 2.4.3.
    Unity displays Package Manager dependencies dialog. Click "Install/Upgrade".
    And Unity displays 2 errors.
    Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.core@7.1.8/Runtime/Textures/RTHandleSystem.cs(714,21): error CS0117: 'RenderTexture' does not contain a definition for 'stencilFormat'
    Library/PackageCache/com.unity.timeline@1.2.10/Runtime/Utilities/AnimatorBindingCache.cs(91,40): error CS0117: 'AnimationMode' does not contain a definition for 'GetCurveBindings'

So I remove packages "Universal RP" and "Timeline". No error.
    And create new cube and new material in sample scene,
    And assign "Minimalist/Standard" to the material.
    Unity displays pink color cube.

How can I fix this issue?

44. Isfaq

Isfaq

Sorry for the inconvenience. Minimalist 2.4.3 for unity 2019.2 does not have package manager dependencies. It sounds like, you are importing Minimalist for 2019.3 in a 2019.2 editor. Most probably you have downloaded Minimalist from a 2019.3 Editor before and that version is getting imported no matter what unity version you are in.
    To solve this, You need to delete the downloaded version and redownload Minimalist from a 2019.2 Editor. Here's how you can delete existing packages from your computer.

45. t1h

t1h

I solved it. Sorry, I couldn't understand package manager behavior.
    Thank you for your support.

46. Klausology

Klausology

Hello mate! Might I ask if your shader supports GPU Instancing for particle systems as well?

47. Isfaq

Isfaq

Yes, it does support GPU instancing but I haven't tested it with the particle system.

48. Klausology

Klausology

Ahh I ask because it seems GPU instancing works differently for mesh particle systems. Tried using some basic shaders with GPU instancing, it did not work for particles. Turns out particles use procedural instancing, which requires shader modifications. https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/PartSysInstancing.html

Do correct me if I'm wrong. :)

49. Isfaq

Isfaq

I suppose you are right. It won't work in particle system out of the box.

50. Klausology

Klausology

Would you have any plans to include a shader that would work with particle systems in the future?