Search Unity

Minecraft-like Game

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by BabyblueSheep, May 6, 2019.

1. BabyblueSheep

BabyblueSheep

Is it possible to create a game similar to Minecraft? Like how to make the world generation (don't want it to be infinite), mobs, weapons etc. If it is, can you tell me how to do it?
    Thanks! :)

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

There is on youtube at least one tutorial with step by step, how to create minecraft clone in Unity.

3. PrieDayThor

PrieDayThor

4. BabyblueSheep

BabyblueSheep

5. Ryiah

Ryiah

The answer to "is it possible" is always going to be "yes" regardless of the game.

We had a very thoroughly analysis thread that started back in 2010.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/after-playing-minecraft.63149/

Joe-Censored and Vryken like this.
  6. Sharpdx

Sharpdx

Seriously? It's possible? Look, I love Minecraft, but I have no clue how such games have been created. I always thought that programming and coding are something really difficult! I don't even get how Minecraft hosting works. The ones we wanted to play in a team with my friends who live in Europe and they had some trouble logging in. They told me that the problem was with hosting which works best if players come from the same country. Still don't know why, but long story short, my friend had to pay for Minecraft hosting service on https://ggservers.com. It wasn't expensive, but I guess we could do something else to solve the problem.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  7. Bunny83

Bunny83

Uhm, well, it kinda is but it depends on your skill level. What makes you think that because it's possible with Unity it somehow makes it easier? At least that's what your comment sounds like. Creating a minecraft like game is about equally difficult regardless of the used engine. Actually creating one without the help of any engine is just marginally more difficult. You just have to handle all the surrounding boilerplate yourself. There are countless of examples on YT of people who have created a MC like prototype in plain C++ with opengl in a week and even a one day challange is out there as far as i remember.

However that doesn't mean it's simple. You should have a good understanding about hardware limitations and why MC does the terrain rendering as it does. Because the most important thing to get a decent sized world rendering properly is to use mesh chunks. That's the only reason why MC uses chunks (or chunk sections i.e. 16x16x16) in the first place. The terrain has to be created purely procedural so you need good spatial thinking and understand how meshes are generated / rendered.

Depending on your skillset I wouldn't recommend trying to create an MC clone unless you have already a decent understanding about the technology of voxel rendering, being more or less "fluent" in C# and having a decent understanding of Unity and it's architecture.