Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Migration to Plastic SCM Issue - Local Project

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by corpsepile, Jan 16, 2022.

1. corpsepile

corpsepile

Edit: Spoke too soon. I'm having some major difficulties here.
    Here's what I've done so far.
    1 - I've used the migration wizard and that seemed to work okay.
    2 - Upon opening Unity (version 2020.3.20f1) I never received a pop up to migrate my local project to Plastic SCM.
    3 - I discovered I could turn off Collab (causing the button to flip back to Plastic SCM) and create a workspace that way.

This is where I'm currently stuck. It says I have a lot of pending changes to upload and incoming changes (which makes no sense, as this is the only computer/account) and although I can see a lot of changesets, I can't seem to "reload" any of them. Can someone point me in the right direction on how to get this all to work? It doesn't appear to be anywhere as easy/seamless of a migration as advertised.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @corpsepile, I'm sorry you're having issues with the migration process.

Are you still experiencing the issue with having tons of pending and incoming changes to resolve? If so, then could you please tell me which version of the Version Control package your project is using?

3. mmntlh

mmntlh

hey @ryanc-unity, I am using unity 2019.4.5f1 LTS and there is no version control package in package manager, My project was also migrated successfully from Collab to Plastic but there was no pop-up inside unity.

4. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @mmntlh, I'm afraid that 2019.4.5f1 does not support the Version Control package. You'll need to update to at least 2019.4.29f1 to use the package.

5. BorpaBoatski

BorpaBoatski

I have a team member who has this problem. The project has been migrated to Plastic SCM but his version was still using Collaborate. We managed to disable Collaborate but his Plastic SCM did not pop-up with the migration window. The Plastic SCM is telling him to create a workspace for the project but we should be trying to link to an existing workspace, not create a new one.

*Edit
    We're using Unity version 2020.3.25f1. The Version Control package is version 1.15.13

Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
  6. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @BorpaBoatski, I'm sorry your teammate has been having issues with the migration. The migration dialog in the Editor was a more recent addition to the Version Control package, so can you confirm that your teammate is using at least 1.14.1 (if they're using 2019.4) or 1.15.1(if they're using 2020+) in the Package Manager?

7. BorpaBoatski

BorpaBoatski

Hey @ryanc-unity. Yeah he has updated his Version Control package to 1.15.13. I've included the versions we are using in my previous post

Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
  8. BorpaBoatski

BorpaBoatski

We will try to download the repository from Plastic SCM and see if that works

9. BorpaBoatski

BorpaBoatski

After exploring Plastic SCM a bit, I think I better understand some terminology.

Workspace - Folder Name in the local machine
    Repository - Name of project stored in cloud. Named <ProjectName>@<Server>@cloud

With that in mind, we tried to continue the Plastic SCM setup on his version of the project. What I thought would happen is to Create A New Workspace. Select the Repository as the repository I have been using and that would link the Unity project to the Plastic SCM repository.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Unfortunately I could not find the repository even though it was the right server. So instead we tried to directly type the name of the repository into the field. It returned back an error "No permission for mkrepository". I checked against the permissions of the repository in the Plastic SCM Cloud and noticed that he was not given a permission. I'm guessing our next step is to give him permission into the repository. Unfortunately, the Plastic SCM website is down now. I'll post an update if we manage to do it when the server is up.

10. BorpaBoatski

BorpaBoatski

Good news. We've managed to link the project for the owner of the repository. Next step would be to invite my other team member into the repository.

I have another question about this move to Plastic SCM. Our team is subscribing to Advanced Teams because we needed more developer seats for our projects. Do the benefits from Advanced Teams carry over to Plastic SCM?

11. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Thank you for the update. We recognize that the workspace setup process isn't very intuitive when trying to connect to an existing Plastic workspace when not downloading it via the Unity Hub. The team plans to improve this onboarding process in the near future.

As for your Teams Advanced question, all existing Teams Advanced seats will be grandfathered in at their current cost. The price will only increase when you add new users or incremental storage on top of what you're already using. We don't have a dashboard that shows how much total usage is allocated to you yet, but the grandfathered in seats and storage will be reflected in your billing invoices.

12. Recluse

Recluse

I followed the steps at https://unity.com/support-services/redeem/plastic-scm but the project is only local in my workspace folder. I can check in changes in Unity but I can't see the repository when I log into plastic. I can see other projects that I used the migration wizard for, but not this one. How can it only be local, with no repository?

[EDIT] duh... I am an idiot. I didn't notice the @cloud option when I set up the project in the Plastic tab, so the repo was only local.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
    BorpaBoatski likes this.