Search Unity

1. Read here for Unity's latest plans on OpenXR.
    Dismiss Notice

Help Wanted Migrating XR project from Unity 2018 to 2020

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by alastair1008, Aug 27, 2020.

1. alastair1008

alastair1008

I've recently upgraded a project from unity 2018.4.26f1 to 2020.1.2f1 and gotten all the vr stuff working again by downloading the XR Management plugin and enabling it through Project Settings however unity gives me a warning to "Use XR Plug-in management" and tells me to enable it through project settings every time any asset in the project is updated. It also gives me a "Built in VR Enabled" warning every time I run the project. The project runs fine once dismissing the warning.

Ideally I'd like to make whatever fixes are required to my project to bring it in line with current development paradigms to get rid of these warnings but if that's not feasible, finding a way to suppress the warnings would also be acceptable.
    I've so far been unable to find documentation relating to these issues and a starting point would be really helpful.

2. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

Are you using the steam tools or OPenVR XR SDK Plugin? There is known issue in there where they have init code that constantly tries to enable deprecated VR if it isn't setup.

3. alastair1008

alastair1008

The project had NewtonVR added by a previous developer. I was able to remove it and the project still works but removing it doesn't seem to have had any affect on the pop-ups I'm getting.
    The project uses Oculus with the Oculus XR plugin installed through Project Settings > XR Plug-in management.

It's possible a previous developer added and later removed one of those tools but they are not currently in the project.

One thing is that I'm using the bundled OVR plugin (v0.0.0) as the updated one (v1.18.1) seems to break the project.

4. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

OVR?

5. alastair1008

alastair1008

i think it stands for Oculus VR, just shows up as OVR in all the settings.

6. ozgurozansen

ozgurozansen

I don't know if you have found a solution but maybe this helps.

Most probably when you migrated your project, the deprecated "VR Supported" configuration under ProjectSettings is still lingering there. It is deprecated but not completely removed from the framework. So, executing one time editor script to disable this setting should be enough:

Code (CSharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using UnityEditor;
    5. [InitializeOnLoad]
    6. public class Startup {
    7.     static Startup()
    8.     {
    9.         PlayerSettings.virtualRealitySupported = false;
    10.     }
    11. }
    Place the script under Assets/Editor folder and restart the Unity editor. If everything goes well you can delete the script.

unityunity