Search Unity

Migrating to XR plugin for Google Cardboard

Discussion in 'VR' started by lz7cjc, May 28, 2020.

1. lz7cjc

lz7cjc

Hi
    I am in a bit of a mess. I had a working version of my app using the legacy VR software but now I am stuck with the new system with no understanding of how to make it work:

I need to do the following:
    Head tracking/looking around my scene
    Reticle pointer/choose element using event trigger (gaze and pick)
    Control/test in editor - currently using GvrEditorEmulator. This works but doesn't reflect what happens when i build the apk. i.e. everything works fine in the emulator but when i try to run as VR on my phone it doesn't work. Further when i run the demo Hello Cardboard scene in the editor none of the old controls work. How can i test this scene in editor?
    Toggle between VR and non-VR states - XRSettings.enabled = true;

I have followed these instructions but can't see anything that helps me do any of this.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/configuring-project-for-xr.html
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...1/manual/index.html#Migrating-a-complex-Scene

Where can I find the documentation for cardboard that will explain how to do each of these things? Or better yet an easy to follow tutorial or set of help files!

thanks

NB I am getting this error; wondering if this might be causing some of the problems i am experiencing. How do i fix?
    DllNotFoundException: cardboard_api
    Google.XR.Cardboard.Api.HasDeviceParams () (at Library/PackageCache/com.google.xr.cardboard@8979e065b7/Runtime/Api.cs:101)
    CardboardStartup.Start () (at Assets/Samples/Google Cardboard XR Plugin for Unity/1.1.0/Hello Cardboard/Assets/Scripts/CardboardStartup.cs:39)

makaka-org, rlaginsel and linojon like this.
  2. tsumikiHUANG

tsumikiHUANG

I have the same problem...

3. lz7cjc

lz7cjc

I upgraded to the latest version of the Unity editor which seems to have sorted much of this out. Couple of things to note:
    when choosing the gradle template, uncheck the old one
    Uncheck using the old VR system in player settings
    I am continuing to use the old GVRemulator to control the game in the editor
    You may need to uninstall and reinstall the google plugin - this was the last action i did before it started working.
    The one thing I still can't do is switch between 2d and VR - anyone got any idea how to do this?
    thanks

4. pithakoteTata

pithakoteTata

What version of unity are you using for the Mobile VR development?

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  5. lz7cjc

lz7cjc

@pithakoteTata 2019.4.0f1
    NB: I am developing on windows and have kept the old system to allow me to run and use the gvremulator to navigate my game whilst in the Editor for testing.

To build for Mac you have to remove all traces of the old system to avoid build errors in XCode, so don't expect to be able to test in the same way... at least not until someone comes up with a solution. If someone does have a solution to this do let me know! I gave up looking at the end of May and accepted the hack i am currently using.

6. rlaginsel

rlaginsel

Im currently stumbeling on this too..
    I clean installed unity version 2019.4.9f1 on windows and did every step in tutorial the right way.
    I hope some one has the answer to this so I thought I'd give this some more attention by writing a reply.

Same error:
    DllNotFoundException: cardboard_api
    Google.XR.Cardboard.Api.HasDeviceParams () (at Library/PackageCache/com.google.xr.cardboard@8979e065b7/Runtime/Api.cs:101)
    CardboardStartup.Start () (at Assets/Samples/Google Cardboard XR Plugin for Unity/1.1.0/Hello Cardboard/Assets/Scripts/CardboardStartup.cs:39)
    Using SDK version API level 29

When building on my Xaomi note 7 (Android) all I see is a black screen

7. SortOth

SortOth

I absolutely am enraged that iOS 14 is forcing us to use this *totally undocumented*, *initial setup fudged*, *overly complicated*, *unreadable*, *closed-source*, *not flexible*, *backwards incompatible*, *old hardware refusing* and *it's resources consuming* Google XR plugin, when all of those classic 5+ year old GVR apps were and are working fantastically! Is it going to become mainstream to just start ditching backwards-compatibility on a massive scale? Am I not seeing where's the bright side?
    It's been well over half a year since I first cloned Cardboard XR, and it STILL has the same modest documentation, tutorials, demos (just a single demo actually which is the only way now how to use it).

I got stuck on the same error btw, and that was the final drop for a rage reply.

8. makaka-org

makaka-org

Hi, Guys, I also had inconveniences with new version of plugin. I'm doing Mixed Reality. So for now Google Cardboard XR Plugin is still under development, but with every new version more & more bugs are fixed.

Hope you will find this useful. Here I implemented Reticle Pointer & Basic Editor Testing for new Google Cardboard XR Plugin with Mixed Reality way.

Project was published as Unity Asset called AR + VR: MR Camera.

dimitriOgnibene likes this.
  9. sateyr

sateyr

I havent errors in Android. Make sure that you have selected Android platform in Build Setting, it's an idiot thing that can happen ;)

I had that error on iOS.
    1- Make sure that you have selected iOS platform in Build Setting.
    2- Optional: If you are migrating from the old cardboard plugin:
    2.1- Delete all folders/files of the old Cardboard plugin.
    2.2- Disable Virtual Reality Supported in Project Settings --> Player --> XR Settings
    upload_2020-10-29_10-32-42.png

3- Close Unity
    4- Delete Libray Folder
    5- Open Unity again
    6- A similar error will be displayed when trying to compile
    Error: "Plugin 'cardboard_api.a' is used from several locations"

Move the next iOS folder to the folder Plugins in the project, and now i can compile without errors.
    upload_2020-10-29_10-15-22.png

upload_2020-10-29_10-24-13.png

Attached Files: