Search Unity

Migrating to Maya

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by TylerCode_, Aug 3, 2017.

1. TylerCode_

TylerCode_

Hello,

I have been a modeler off and on for about 9 years. I've primarily used 3DS Max but now that I'd have to pay for a license out of pocket, upgrading isn't really the most cost effective. I was looking at picking up Maya LT since its more affordable and was wondering if any others had made that transition. If so, how much of my current knowledge and skill set is directly transferable and what are the largest changes that I'd have to get used to. I've done some reading but I'd like to get the input of this amazing community.

Kindest Regards,

2. LittleRainGames

LittleRainGames

Rotating, and selecting objects. I was going to make the switch but decided not too, It slowed down my workflow 10 fold. Of course that would change, but I was afraid for how long.

3. mariusz

mariusz

Just a thought... if you're thinking about switching... maybe like to try Houdini. Ok, it's a very different approach to everything, but if you're familiar with 3ds modifier stack, maybe procedural workflow will be worth to try :)
    I don't know about MayaLT price and limitations, in Houdini Indie it's $199 per year (or Apprentice for free but without fbx export) and only limit is HD resolution when rendering animation (of course you can render stills with no limit)
    And for Unity context - you get (for free) Houdini Engine for Unity and can use procedural magic of Houdini in Unity :)

4. LittleRainGames

LittleRainGames

What kind of procedural magic?!? Like modifiers you create in Houdini but can use in max?

5. mariusz

mariusz

Yes. quick video:

You can create assets in houdini and use it in other apps - I'm using it with Unity - automagically scatter stones on some area, or doors with adjustable sizes or buildings or stairs automagically generated between given points etc. etc..
    Another video:

I'm just staring with it, but seen some much more complicated ones.

6. DannyGreg24

DannyGreg24

All the knowledge you acquired are transferable to Maya I for one as a former 3ds max user can vouch for that. All you have to do is simply search for the tools to do a task that you usually use in 3ds max especially when the tool you need is hard to find.

7. TylerCode_

TylerCode_

Just wanted to come back and thank everyone for these responses. I haven't made the switch yet but I plan on doing it very soon.