Search Unity

TextMesh Pro Migrating from Legacy / Asset Store to Package Manager Releases

Discussion in 'Unity UI (uGUI) & TextMesh Pro' started by Stephan_B, Jan 9, 2018.

1. catfink

catfink

The prefab works fine if I put it into a new scene - so I'm a bit confused as to why rebuilding it would help as it would appear that in a different scene it works ok.

2. catfink

catfink

Updating the prefab made no difference to the problem.

3. catfink

catfink

I created a brand new canvas in the same scene and put a textmeshpro object on it - so not in anyway linked to the previous prefab. That also displays corrupted. Whatever this is it is at a scene level as if I create that same textmesh object in a different scene it displays ok.

4. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

Something about the scene is confused (I guess).

Is this new Canvas a child of another Canvas?

If you play with the Canvas Additional Shader Channels, do that change the behavior?

Deep diving into this ...
    Copy / Save the scene the exhibits this issue under a new name. Check if this new scene (after loading it still exhibits the same issues).

Then remove as much stuff in the (copied) scene as you can when hopefully you can end up with just a text object that is not behaving correctly.

Then create a new scene that is identical but would not have the issue.

Then take a look at those two scene file in some text editor to see what the potential differences are in the serialized data. Something has to be messing this up.

P.S. Sorry and thank you for taking the time to try to figure this out.

5. catfink

catfink

It was a new canvas I added, I also played with the additional shader channels but this didn't seem to make any difference.
    I'll try the scene copying stuff today.

6. catfink

catfink

OK, so this is just getting more bizarre rather than less.

If I duplicate the scene and build just that one scene and nothing else then everything is fine. If I build my project with that duplicated scene in it and load the scene using in game menus then I get a corrupted textmesh object.

At this point I'm close to giving up as I just don't understand what is going on here.

7. catfink

catfink

I do indeed give up - this is beyond any sensible logic to explain what is going on. It did work and after upgrade to 2018.3.1 and TextMeshPro 1.3 nothing to do with textmesh works if used in context of the project. I just can't invest anymore time in this, textmesh is being removed from our project and replaced with ordinary unity text. Sorry I can't provide anymore data on this - clearly something is very broken in the latest textmesh release but this is proving too expensive in wasted time to fix as we have deadlines to meet.

8. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

The issue certainly affects TMP but I suspect is related to some bad serialized data in the scene related to the Canvas itself. The reason, I want to compare the serialized data / scene file in a text editor was to figure out what is difference between the working scene and the broken scene. Once that is known, we could manually edit the broken scene to fix it.

If you can submit a bug report which includes some project with the relevant broken scene, I can invest the time to figure out what the issue is.

I thought you had circumvented the issue. How complex is that problematic scene or is it more than one scene? I certainly understand that you can't afford to spend more time on this but like I said I am more than willing to take a look at any repro project you can provide and find the solution for you.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  9. catfink

catfink

The problem is the broken scene pleases itself in a standalone build as to when it decides to be broken. If I do a build with just one scene in it that scene will work fine, if I build hat exact same scene into a multiple scene project it fails. This is why I gave up as either the scene is broken or it isn't - in this example it appears that is broken when it feels like it depending on what was built, which to me doesn't sound like a serialisation issue as if it was serialised data I would expect the result to be binary, either it's broken or it isn't.

10. catfink

catfink

At the moment I can't afford to spend some time on it as we have some deadlines in February and this has already cost us a man week across our development team. So once I get a bit of spare time I'll see if I can condense it down into something simple as our project is enormous (50GB+).

In the meantime I have removed textmeshpro to solve it and after a lot of messing with different fonts I found one we can use that renders ok and can replace the textmeshpro stuff adequately.

11. AntonBaranov

AntonBaranov

Hello! I've read a lot of information, but my problem wasn't solved :(
    I have a problem with "TextMesh Pro" in process of migration my project from Unity 2018.2.11f1 to 2018.3.1f1 (or 2018.3.2f1, result the same).

There are three situations:
    1) If I create a new project on Unity 2018.3.1f1, create new script and use there "usingTMPro" - everything is fine. I don't have errors and can work.
    2) If I create a new project on Unity 2018.2.11.f1, create new script and use there "using TMPro". Close project. Open it on Unity 2018.3.1f1. Everything is fine, no errors.
    3) If I open my main project in Unity 2018.3.1f1, which was developed in Unity 2018.2.11f1. I have an error: "error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'TMPro' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)"

I tried to do the following:
    - My main project has "TextMesh Pro" folder in Assets, I tried to delete it, but nothing changed.
    - Reimport all assets
    - Clear Library folder and delete all files (like sln, config, etc) in project folder
    - Wanted update TMPro resources, but Unity 2018.3 doesn't have this menu item "Window - TextMesh Pro"

I found that after opening solution in VS, there are not files in Library - ScriptAssemblies folder.

I hope for your help :)

12. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

The namespace not being recognized is a project solution issue (not specific to TMP) which I haven't been able to reproduce but usually fixed by upgrading Visual Studio to the latest release.

Try upgrading to the latest release of Visual Studio and let me know if that solves the issue. If the problem persists, I would love to get a bug report that includes your project so we can reproduce this behavior and get it addressed.

13. AntonBaranov

AntonBaranov

Today I updated to version 15.9.6. The same problem.

14. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

What version of the TextMesh Pro package are you using? You can verify this in the Window - Package Manager.

Have you tried clearing / deleting the package cache? It is located in "...\Users\...\AppData\Local\Unity\cache"

Can you submit a bug report with the project attached? If so, please post the case # and I'll take a look shortly thereafter.

15. AntonBaranov

AntonBaranov

Clear cache. The same result.

In Unity 2018.2.11f1 I use TextMeshPro 1.2.4 (and today I tried to update it to 1.3.0). When I opened this project in Unity 2018.3.2f1 there is not menu: Window - Package manager (and I can't update it there).

If I delete TMPro objects, errors repeat but for Entities namespace.

I've created bug report "Case 1120740"

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  16. RSH1

RSH1

Using 2018.3.0f2, the GUID Remapper scan no longer returns any results, despite having scenes with old TMPro objects in them. The process above used to work but it seems something has changed with subsequent versions of Unity.

17. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

Let me look into this today as I am getting ready to release the next package and this needs to work.

* Update *
    Just tested a few old projects in 2018.3.3f1 and the scanning and conversion worked as expected.

Can you export one of those scenes with whatever potential dependencies it has for me to look at?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  18. ypatelzynga

ypatelzynga

how can i perform dynamic text rendering using the fonts available on the mobile device/computer. I saw some application that uses android or IOS system font to display input box or display text on screen. How can get same result using unity?

19. StephenHodgson-Valorem

StephenHodgson-Valorem

Why do we still have to download assets via window when they should be part of the package manager assets?

upload_2019-1-29_13-15-36.png

20. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

Although the TMP package is included in Unity by default, it doesn't mean everyone is using it or even text in their project. As such, I didn't want TMP related resources like Shaders or other resources to end up in user builds unless they are using TMP.

In addition, resources inside package are shared between all project and are read-only which is fine for scripts but for assets like Font Assets, Sprite Assets, TMP Settings that user might be expected to modify on a project basis these resources need to be unique per project and live in the local project.

21. StephenHodgson-Valorem

StephenHodgson-Valorem

Isn't the default text provider supposed to eventually be TMPro? This doesn't quite make sense to me and should be included. In either case the real issue we're having is for our CI/CD pipeline, it's missing these assets and we have no way to download them because of the remote, automated nature of this process.

22. ETLang

ETLang

Could this dialog pop up sometime other than play mode? It's very strange to have it appear when you enter play mode, when it can't successfully import those assets until you exit play mode.

23. StephenHodgson-Valorem

StephenHodgson-Valorem

Why hasn't this configurable stuff been added to the core engine's preferences window or serialized in the project settings someplace or something? These are scriptable objects and it should be rather trivial to do.

As for the font assets, I think it makes sense to have these be readonly, and when someone needs to modify them to have a copy made that they can then edit. Seems rather strange to let users edit the original assets as is from this download. What happens when you push an update to these "essential" assets and it overwrites people's customizations?

24. StephenHodgson-Valorem

StephenHodgson-Valorem

... Doesn't Unity strip out what isn't being used anyway? Pretty sure the engine is good at this. It will only build in what's referenced and strip out the rest (shaders included).

I find it counter-intuitive that Unity decided to make TMPro a default module, but then didn't include all of TMPro in the package. Then why even include TMPro by default at all?

25. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

These import options only appears when trying to access a TMP component or settings if these required / essential resources have not yet been added to the local project.

26. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

Font Assets have to be modifiable as users may wish to edit the font metrics, assign new fallbacks or font weights, tweak spacing values, add or modify kerning pairs, etc. on a project per project basis. With the addition of support for Dynamic SDF, this becomes even more important.

These TMP Essential Resources and TMP Examples & Extras are contained in the TMP UPM package as old style .unitypackage(s). As such these are in sync with whatever package version of TMP you are using and don't need to be downloaded. They sit in the package cache and have no affect on builds.

As you pointed out in your initial post, these are not automatically added to the local user project. These only get imported if:
    (1) On first use of TMP they are not already present / been deleted in the project. At which point the import option window shows up to inform the user of the need to import these and to get the user's consent.
    (2) If the user accesses the project settings and navigates to the TextMesh Pro settings. Where the same import options become available.
    (3) Lastly, if the user wants to manually import those via the "Window - TextMeshPro - ..." menu options.

With regards to option (3), since these are .unitypackage(s) selecting to import these packages will open the Asset Importer allowing the user to see what resources, examples, etc. may have changed or been added and allowing the user to select what gets imported specifically to avoid any "overwrites of people's customizations".

If a user is not using TMP, then it will get stripped and not be included in any builds. That is true for the core / assemblies of TMP.

Back to these resources, since these are located in the local user project (assuming the user is using TMP and has imported them), then all resources contained in the Resources folder will be included in the build. That is the design of the Resources folder and as such these do not get stripped. Unfortunately, since TMP resources like Font Assets, Sprite Assets, Shaders, etc. can all end up being referenced in some string or external text file that doesn't even exist at build time, TMP needs to be able to load these resources at runtime which requires putting these in a Resources folder.

As users and give these TMP Essential Resources are located in the local project, you can manually remove stuff that you know you are not using.

For instance, if all your text objects are using the Mobile SDF Shader or non of the surface shaders, then you can remove these. If you have assigned your own font asset in the TMP Settings as the default font asset and as such will not be using LiberationSans SDF, then you can remove LiberationSans SDF, etc.

This manual pruning of these resources does require knowledge of what is what but I have made several posts about this already and can certainly help there if there is confusion.

These resources have to be imported in the local project prior to and on first use of TMP. This only needs to be done once. Having these in the local project makes them all visible, customizable and manageable by the user on a project per project basis. Updated versions are imported manually by the user thus preventing overriding any customization done to the previous versions.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  27. bpdavis2006

bpdavis2006

I was wondering why the change was made to make text appear top-most? I like having the source code to projects, so I am upgrading from the TextMesh Pro Free version from 2016 to its latest incarnation. The free version put the text behind my sprites, which is what I want. The new version puts the text on TOP of my sprites, obscuring them. I've tried many different ways to set the "order in layer" of my sprite and also the mesh renderer for the text object, but nothing is letting me get the desired result.

How can I get the results of the original TextMesh Pro Free version (without actually using the free version?)

28. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

Short boring reply... could you please post this in a separate thread. This way it won't get lost in the middle of all these posts and might prove useful to other users as well :)

29. StephenHodgson-Valorem

StephenHodgson-Valorem

Let's not forget just simply opening Edit/Project Settings... will also trigger this import as well.
    upload_2019-1-29_17-48-38.png

The simple fact of opening a menu that literally everyone will use at some point to manage their project settings means that this really ought to be distributed better.

30. StephenHodgson-Valorem

StephenHodgson-Valorem

Why aren't these kinds of resources being treated like any other built-in resource of Unity? Packaged in a compact file and referenced like other built-in resources?
    upload_2019-1-29_17-57-22.png

This is a terrible design. Why should someone have to manually do this and have special knowledge of anything?

I fail to see how this prevents assets from being overridden. If you import a .unitypackage a second time and you've edited any assets therein, sure you get the dialog, but what if someone just clicks fast through it? This doesn't actually prevent anything, just warns the user that their asset changes might be overridden. There needs to be a good way to keep default assets intact and provide users a way to copy, then customize as needed.

31. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

The Project Settings re-open on whatever last option was selected. Unless someone previously select the TextMeshPro option in this menu, the import options will not show up. Furthermore in the next release of the TMP package the import options have been integrated in the settings themselves so no more window popup there.

upload_2019-1-29_18-39-55.png

I realize having to import these resources requires an extra step. Since these resources (most of the time) are edited / customized by users, they need to be unique to each project which is why they are added to the local project.

I didn't want to include anything in the user project without their consent hence why the import window shows up as opposed to copying stuff in the project without the user consent or in some hidden folder in the local project. I wanted these resources to be visible to the user and to also give full control over them.

I agree that in order for a user to prune through these resources, it does require some special knowledge of the tool. The same is true about almost every aspect of game development and the tools we use. Having to learn about coding practices or how to create efficient low poly geometry or light baking, etc. at some point is required to make most efficient use of those tools. The same is true for text (even though some may consider text boring ;))

In the end, I am here to help and figure out ways to allow users achieve the results they seek. If that mean at some point changing this process then so be it.

For the time being each project that uses TMP needs resources in the local project. At the onset these are the TMP Essential Resources but they almost always end up being modified to tailor to the needs of the user and give project.

32. andrewhoke

andrewhoke

I just migrated a large project from 5.6.6f2 to 2018.3.1f1 with the old paid version of TMP with source code. After finishing the migration tool, I had numerous compile-time errors relating to duplicate source code between the old version of TMP and the package manager version, which I resolved by deleting the source files of the older version.

Now I have a number of prefabs that contain TMP components, primarily text UGUIs. All prefabs with TMP UGUIs on them have had the references broken and I'm unable to add the component references back onto the main prefab behaviour script. Do I need to manually re-add all the TMP UGUI components on all my prefabs, or did I miss something?

Screenshot_124.png Screenshot_125.png

33. eVPublishing

eVPublishing

I am having the same problem. Have you had any success here?

I have a project working in 2018.2.20f1 using the "Package Manager" version of TMPro. When I upgrade to 2018.3.5f1, I get the "namespace name 'TMPro' could not be found" error AND the Unity Package Manager UI is now not available. Something seriously messed up here. Any ideas?

34. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

That error is related to VSTU and the project solution synchronizer and not specific to TMP but can obviously occur here.

I am still trying to get a bug report with included project in the confused state to provide to the Scripting Team at Unity to see if they can resolve that. So if you can please submit a bug report and provide me with the case #.

Potential short term solutions are:
    (1) Upgrade to the latest version of Visual Studio.

(2) A user reported that changing the External Script Editor in the Preferences to something other than Visual Studio and then opening a file in the new editor and then closing this editor and switching back to Visual Studio also resolved the issue. Not sure if a Unity restart is required in between.

In regards to the prefab missing script issue, I'll take a look this afternoon.

35. andrewhoke

andrewhoke

I wouldn't say it's a missing script issue; as you can see in the screenshots, the script is quite there, but I'm unable to drag it into the PWDropdown script as a reference.

36. eVPublishing

eVPublishing

Interesting! I will try these things and report what I find. However all the messages I'm getting are in the Unity console - I have not even opened VS yet. Could this still be a problem?

My client will never allow me to send off the full project as a bug report ;-), but I'll see if I can get some time to create a minimal project that exhibits this behavior. I get the sense that some other plugin may be at fault here.

37. eVPublishing

eVPublishing

Just a followup in case it helps.

Upon update from 2018.2.20f1 to 2018.3.5f1 (although I think it is a .2 to .3 problem in general), I loose the Package Manager menu item, and I receive many dozens of "TMPro not found" message in the Unity console. I am using TMP 1.3.0 as installed from the Package Manager.
    • As suggested, I upgraded Visual Studio - no change in results.
    • As suggested, I changed external code editors - no change in results.
    I don't think this is a TextMeshPro problem - but it is the only (in my case) namespace that can't be found after the update.

38. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

Can you submit a bug report with the project and provide me with the case #? I'll take a look at it right away.

39. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

Any chance you could export some repro scene with one of those prefab for me to look at?

40. eVPublishing

eVPublishing

I'll have to whittle down the project first as A) it is huge and B) my client probably won't let me send anything out. Let me see what I can do.

41. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

Submitting the project files via the bug reporter keeps those files private and this project / repro is only used for the purpose of helping identify / resolve the issue.

42. zKici

zKici

@Stephan_B Can you please clarify since I have paid for the original version, do I still try to follow this "*** IMPORTANT NOTE & WARNING *** Users of the paid version of TextMesh Pro SHOULD NOT update to the free DLL only version of the product as scene and project data is not compatible between the two versions. Updates to the paid version of TextMesh Pro will continue to be available on the TextMesh Pro User Forum as it has been over the past few years."

Or do I simply get it from the asset store now?

I cannot register on your forum,

Please let me know what to do... I would like to be able to download the latest version, I am still using Unity 2017,

Thank you

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  43. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

All users should plan / eventually migrate to this new package manager version of TMP.

The old warning remains applicable but only for the old source code and asset store / dll only version of TMP.

As per the first post in this thread, with the introduction of the Package Manager both the Free / DLL only version of TMP and the Paid / Source Code version have been consolidated into a single new version / format with source code.

Since both the dll only and source code version of TMP were using different sets of GUIDs and FileIDs, this new package manager version of TextMesh Pro uses a new set of GUIDs and FileIDs to which previous projects will need to be migrated to using the GUID Remapping Tool included with the package manager version of TMP.

When migrating from the previous source code or free / dll only version of TMP, it is key to follow the upgrade procedure outline in the first post of this thread. Also take the time to review the special notes at the bottom of that first post.

Once a legacy project has been migrated to the new TMP UPM package format, future updates will be available via the package manager ui.

44. zKici

zKici

The asset store version is very old,

I am still using Unity 2017, so which version should I use? If there is a download link I can provide you my invoice #

45. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

Do not use the Asset Store version. Use the Package Manager version when you migrate to Unity 2018+.

None package manager versions are no longer getting updated as most of the new functionality requires a new version of Unity. The Dynamic SDF system requires 2018.3+

upload_2019-2-13_18-20-38.png

P.S. If you have some issue / bug blocking you then I can certainly take a look at that or you could even look at the source code of the newer version to make the relevant changes.

46. zKici

zKici

I am not planning to move onto 2018+...

Still working in Unity 2017.4.19f1,

So that being said how can I get the latest version for this Unity?

Thank you

47. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

What version of TextMesh Pro are you currently using? The latest version of TMP (source code) from the TMP user forum is 1.2.2.

If you have a previous version then send me a PM and I'll get you that version later tonight.

48. AntonBaranov

AntonBaranov

Hi! I found temporary solution. New version of Unity has more additional folders in Library. I deleted library .Unsafe.dll from PROJECT_NAME\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.collections@0.0.9-preview.10 folder, and everything fine. But if I clear Library folder and rebuild project, this dll will be created again.

I created new branch on forum about this problem, because it doesn't connected with TMP. Nobody answered me yet :(
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/pro...-unsafe-dll-unity-2018-3-3f1-or-later.626347/

49. AntonBaranov

AntonBaranov

Hello! I created bug report a few weeks ago. Case #1120740
    Of course I found the temporary solution and wrote you about that, but the main problem is still there.

50. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

I re-opened the case and brought this up today to the Package Manager team but this might also be something the scripting team needs to look at.

Most likely the relevant folks will follow up with you via the bug system but I will also try to follow up as well as I get more information.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019