Search Unity

Migrating from AR Core to AR Foundation

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by dbrowndev, Jan 23, 2020.

1. dbrowndev

dbrowndev

Hello all
    I am currently developing an AR app using ARCore. It works great on Android, but the client is asking for an iOS version. I know that ARCore is Android specific, and that ARFoundation is cross platform. So I know my options are either rebuild from scratch using ARFoundation, or keep the current code but migrate to ARFoundation.

I have searched online for any advice on migrating from ARCore to ARFoundation but haven't found much. How would a migration from one to the other work? Is it possible to keep the current ARCore functionality alongside the ARFoundation, or would a rebuild need to be done?

Any information or guidance would be appreciated
    Thanks!

Sprarage likes this.
  2. Domcoc

Domcoc

Hello
    I'm facing the same problem. I've been developing my android app for 3 years using ARcore. Now my boss wants to extend the app also to iPhones. Unlikely the documentation only explains how to start from scratch or migrate from a previous version of ARFoundation and it is very misleading. From what I understand this ARFoundation replaces ARcore and allow an "easy" cross-build between android and iOS. Now I'm trying to delete ARcore plugins from my project and then reimport ARFundation. Nevertheless when I build to my iPhone using xcode the camera keeps to be white. Is someone facing the same issue? The lack of a strict documentation about ARFoundation is very frustating...

3. Shaunyowns

Shaunyowns

Hey there @danbrownemotivevm,

Our recommendation for projects needing to target both iOS and Android is to use AR Foundation. This also future-proofs your projects so that it's compatible with future platforms. We have a lot of resources to get started with AR Foundation, including our documentation, our samples. For projects using Google's ARCore Unity SDK, converting to AR Foundation will be the easiest path. @Domcoc on your note of removing the ARCore plugin, you still need either the ARCore XR Plugin or ARKit XR Plugin packages installed along with AR Foundation.

We hope this helps!