Search Unity

Microsoft update caused me to have to re-activate unity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by peterept2, Jan 9, 2016.

1. peterept2

peterept2

Look, it's not a big deal - but it is very very annoying. I'm running Windows 10 and when it updated just now (it killed my running programs of course - didn't care if I had work unsaved) it rebooted my system and then says "We've updated your system. Don't worry your files are exactly where you left them" and then i run Unity and it says my O/S is different and I need to re-activate.

unity.png

Really poor form Microsoft.

2. Pix10

Pix10

This happens all the time on OS X (not the same message, but the same need to re-activate regularly). You should be able to just Sign In (top right) and re-activate with your serial number.

3. peterept2

peterept2

h yeah, I know. I did. I was just venting. Having to look up my serial number again.

4. Player7

Player7

win10 truly is ... <expletive representing animal feces> it was designed by <expletive representing monkeys>

of course it is really good at data gathering, user tracking and providing backdoor auto updates for trusted MS 'partners'.

theANMATOR2b and Martin_H like this.
  5. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I believe we fixed this in Unity 5.3.

6. darkhog

darkhog

Let's hope Linux port is soon then. BS like that is why I'm still on W7, even though I'm eligible for update. The day Linux Editor is official and not beta is the day I'm returning to the Glorious Penguin #tuxpride.

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

8. Player7

Player7

That is not a solution, its just delaying in the inevitable retardation that is an MS forced updates, bad if you forget about it and left unsaved work on the desktop... What would you like to lose today? tm

Last time I had to use that junk os I think the most you could delay the scheduled restart was 5days.. so if you forget bam restart. Fun times, had a dedicated server with that pos OS on. gg ms gg, couldn't stand it.. but unity linux server support is kinda rubbish so kinda stuck with needing to use windows for hosting.. eergh.

"Let's hope Linux port is soon then. BS like that is why I'm still on W7, even though I'm eligible for update. The day Linux Editor is official and not beta is the day I'm returning to the Glorious Penguin #tuxpride."

ditto, then again win7 is the new xp, I won't be jumping away anytime soon, improved linux support would be good to see though. I like a greener field to jump to when jumping ships.

9. Ryiah

Ryiah

Do you know why those forced updates exist? Because of people like me who never update Windows. :p

theANMATOR2b, Kiwasi and tango209 like this.
  10. tango209

tango209

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. Windows is the most used OS and the vast majority of bad guys are trying to exploit it. So, after getting bashed for allowing viruses easy propagation, etc. from unpatched PCs they fix the problem by forcing updates at the expense of some minor and avoidable inconveniences. As the pro's say, "Security isn't convenient".

Do what every responsible business does, make it part of your weekly/monthly schedule. Set reminders and calendar events. I complain in my head every odd Wednesday at my day job because I forgot to save something before the do the weekly reboots, but then I remember it's my fault and my responsibility, not IT's or Microsoft's or anyone else's.

Oh, and it's such junk most software is running on it. And don't start the whole this and that are wrong with it, no one's arguing that it doesn't have plenty of warts. I'm just tired of all the vitriol for something that obviously works.

Kiwasi and Ryiah like this.
  11. Ryiah

Ryiah

It's not like businesses don't do it for other OSes either. Scheduling updates for OS X and Linux is normal too.

tango209 likes this.
  12. neginfinity

neginfinity

How is that Microsoft's fault though? I'd expect unity editor to be responsible for babysitting its own licensing data.

Kiwasi likes this.
  13. peterept2

peterept2

Well, I figured it was a MS api that Unity were using and it was reporting the OS signature changed. I do get that when i change hardware - but this PC hasn't changed in the last 6 months.

I'll install 5.3 shortly anyway if it is fixed in that.

14. neginfinity

neginfinity

I don't remember lots of functions in WinAPI suitable for uniquely IDing your machine. Haven't researched that much, though, but I think there's no function that can say "this is unique ID of your machine that will never change".

The situation you'r experiencing most likely is Unity's fault. Apparently for IDing your machine, they're using data that changes often.