Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Microsoft confirms that storing Bing Maps elevation data as meshes is a Breach of their TOS

Discussion in 'World Building' started by ghtx1138, Jan 11, 2019.

1. ghtx1138

ghtx1138

MS sent me a welcome message from a real person when I got a Bing Maps API key recently. I asked her if I could store mesh data. She said no - all use cases must include a query to their webservice - no storing of 3d mesh data allowed. Excerpt reproduced:

As you are intending to store the elevatoin (sic) data and not pull this from the service everytime the map is loaded you would be in breach of the terms of rights for Bing Maps. (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/maps/product/terms). I have included the excerpt which you would be in breach of below.

3.2. General Restrictions. We do have some restrictions on your use of the Services. In developing Company Applications, and in using the Services, you may not, nor may you permit your customers to:

(b) Copy, store, archive, or create a database of the Content, except that geocodes may be stored locally only for use with your Company Applications.