Search Unity

Audio Microphone recording and Speech Recognition on Quest

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by gildasb, Mar 23, 2020.

1. gildasb

gildasb

Hello,

We are using speech recognition in our VR application : a simple recording and then we send the samples into the cloud (GoogleSpeechReco) to obtain the result.
    It works fine on the Rift -first version- but the same application, using Unity 2018.4.3f1, has bad recognition result on the Quest. Words are missing most of the time or/and wrong words are recognized.
    We have no voice detection with treshold : the start and stop of recording are manual.
    We pronounce the same sentence and it is not well recognized on the Quest, and ok on the Rift.
    The only difference we have seen is the recording sample frequency, on the Rift it is 48KHz and on the Quest 16Khz max.
    We have no problem of recording authorization on Android (we ask permission and manifest is ok).
    We have also tried to save in a file what we record from the microphone. The result when we listen the file sounds ok : volume is lower but the result is the same even if we amplify the volume.
    Has someone already experienced this difference between Rift and Quest?
    If you have any idea of what can produce this difference?
    Thanks for your help,
    Gildas

2. Lou12331

Lou12331

I have same problem and still looking for solution.
    I'm using Azure Speech to Text API and it work fine in Unity Editor.
    But recording audio quality is really bad when I build the app to Quest.
    The strange thing is, when I try in Editor, I actually use the same VR device(Oculus Quest by Link) and microphone is same also.
    I tried to gain up the audio I recorded but it just make audio louder, quality still terrible.

3. jaimelugo

jaimelugo

Hi all... are you guys using a specific microphone while recording or just the in-built one?