Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

MHX2 into Unity humanoid

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Paulprog16, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Paulprog16

Paulprog16

Hello everyone,

I have a character imported from Makehuman into Blender through MHX2 and then exported into Unity.

I have been using the character in "Generic" rig mode so far, as it works just fine and it doesn't give me any error messages. Humanoid, on the other hand, gives me a cross next to "configure" after I hit apply and went I enter that "configure" menu, I can see the arms are red in the map and the assigned bones make no sense at all (I mean their order and placement).

I could continue to use "generic", but I read that I would get better and smoother results if I used "humanoid".

Do you know how I can get the MHX2 to be recognized for humanoid in Unity?

2. Shaba1

Shaba1

It seems that there is no answer on how to get an MHX2 Rig exported to FBX into unity AND Mapped to mecanim. I have been searching the net for the last week on how to do this and have come up with nothing. I am going to write Thomas Larssenn ( the developer of the MHX format) about this problem this coming weekend.

For right now I am using the game rig or xoinic rig that exports from makehuman to blender. With those two I can add .bvh animations using Thomas's Makewalk addon. That willl make individual actions in blender and when one exports the model to fbx those actions come in as animation clips in unity. Also both of those rigs seemed to have no problem automapping to the mecanim system in unity.

The downside of that method is that you then cannot use IK in blender to make animations. Using just FX is much harder when you are creating animations The FX-> IK and IK-FX switches in the MHX runtime tab in blender makes animations a LOT easier. And you cannot use the MHX Visemes and expressions to make shapekeys that can be exported from blender to fbx and used in unity. :( You can make those expressions manually in blender by editing the model and adding shapekeys to is but I am a person that does not like to work through something that is already done almost automatically but the computer.

DonGang likes this.
  3. DonGang

DonGang

Have you written to Thomas Larssenn?
    I wonder what workflow you stuck up to rig, animate and export that stuff to Unity?

4. JohnWizard

JohnWizard

Any news on this? I have the same problem. The MHX2 rig (which is the only one that allows IK on Blender) doesn't seem to be compatible with Unity's humanoid rig configuration.

5. Paulprog16

Paulprog16

Is there really a huge advantage to using Humanoid instead of Generic?

If there is, how could this be solved?