Search Unity

MG Patcher

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mihanocho, Mar 21, 2015.

?

Do you like MGPatcherTools,?

1. Yes

2. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. fammXyShea849

fammXyShea849

upload_2015-11-5_11-13-52.png

I cannot get past this point. I'm assuming since windows uses extensions so literally that .patch isn't "unzippable", however if I just change the extension to .zip it is indeed a zip file that can be extracted.

I'm assuming there has to be some easy workaround for this, because I haven't seen this problem mentioned. Please help!

By the way, I am using Lite.

2. mihanocho

mihanocho

Once you have renamed the extension file it opens?

3. mihanocho

mihanocho

Attention! MGPatcherTools soon light will not be in AssetStore. At the moment the upgrade is available for $ 5. The next day the package will be deleted!

4. hopeful

hopeful

So ... MGPatcherTools Lite will no longer be supported or updated?

5. mihanocho

mihanocho

MG Light Patcher is no longer supported or updated

6. mihanocho

mihanocho

MG Patcher Tools version 2.6:
    • Fixed error "InvalidOperationException".
    • New documentation
    • Standart observer unity for MGPatcher and MGDownloader.
    • The code is completely formatted. All variables are logical and understandable. A lot of comments.
    • Fixed problem with autostart update.
    • Add field format patch
    • Suggestions and support directly from the editor.
    upload_2015-11-7_21-39-52.png
    upload_2015-11-7_21-42-29.png

Attached Files:

7. Twois

Twois

Hello!

I use the 2.5.0.1 version, on win10 and i get error when i try too create a build whit this tool. And an other problem is, i can't find the "add patcher to current scene" button, whitch is in the documentation.

I attached some image sent on email.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  8. mihanocho

mihanocho

Please send me on email.

9. ZoneOfTanks

ZoneOfTanks

It is not so good to stop support your products. Anyway I made my decision to get another update system :p

10. mihanocho

mihanocho

I wrote about the Light version which is not available in assetstore

11. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

Actually this is the smart decision. Instead of trying to maintain twice the code base it is easier to support a single product. Without having a multi-person team it is the way to go to maintain better support for the end product.

12. Twois

Twois

Hello!

I tested on windows, and it works, but...
    If there is no new patch on the server, i get this error "version file is incorrect: Could not resolve host: project.example.comWin; Host not found". Yes this is not looks like a valid host.

If the patcher find new patch, the patcher install it well, but after i get this error message again. I can click on play button and play with the newest version of the game without any problem. So this is just dummy.

Attached Files:

13. mihanocho

mihanocho

Apparently I need to upgrade to windows 10 and test it. Since windows 7 everything is OK

14. mihanocho

mihanocho

Please let us know which items in the documentation you need.

15. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

Possibly the asset file that stores the host info is losing its data after the build is complete. I was seeing this before and just putting the info in manually the first time fixes it for you. It is a limitation with how some of the Unity files are accessed and modified from what I have read.

16. mihanocho

mihanocho

I can save MGPatcher.asset it should fix the problem

17. mihanocho

mihanocho

I decided not to read line by line version and use a separator between the versions "&" to avoid errors with reading the file.

18. tatelax

tatelax

Felt compelled to leave my honest review of MGPatcher tool after mihanocho assisted me through Teamviewer to get the asset working. Just wanted to say that if you are looking for a patching tool, this asset does the job and more. It is very easy to use! Thank you for such a useful tool!

Mazak and Gaurav-Gulati like this.
  19. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Hi Tatelax, It looks a grate product and there was an improvement in the documentation. But I hardly understand how to make it work in an empty scene. Can you make a (voice) video tutorial ?

20. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

I did not try the FTP service. Please update FTP client to use FTPS. includ in the manual what are the files and folders that i have to upload to the server. In specific what is the first file.

An option to download the patch as co-routine when is starting and makes silent update when is closing the game.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  21. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

I am working on a few basic tutorial videos right now. Unfortunately I haven't had a ton of time to work on them.
    My latest test build has FTPS in the client connection list (not in the server list yet) so it is getting expanded.

The download is already done using a Coroutine with feedback for the status. What exactly do you mean? Are you going for a fully silent update process where the patch is downloaded in the background and applied as the user exits the game?

22. mihanocho

mihanocho

You can download the patches manually using FTP client.

23. J_P_

J_P_

Just a heads up, the .patch extension is a default ascii extension in some FTP clients, so downloading the files via ftp can corrupt the zip file as line endings change.

24. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Grate! Thanks a lot. I like this product and a simple tutorial can help. I'm following Mihanocho mouse but is too fast for my skills. There is too much info involve and i understand is simple.

I can use my own FTPS software but i do not understand what to upload. It can be grate the FTPS expansion since 2013 the providers accept only FTPS.

Yes, i think is a nice solution. Is the way google chrome works. If in my game the update is so big or crucial i force to restart the player.

Hi, Mihanocho Thanks for the asset. Is improving well. Thanks for improving your English, I´m from Argentina-Italian.
    At the moment i do not understand where are the exact files that i has to upload to the server. Or how to organize them in the PC. How MG Downloader works. If i has to build in a normal way or I has to use only Patcher Builder, etc. Only Windows in my case. But i'm new. And I'm working on it. Do not worry. Improve the documentation a bit more in English. Make a smooth task workflow documentation or tutorial from start to finish. A empty scene can help. Upload and download example can help too. Move the mouse slowly in the video tutorial. And go to the target. One more time, thanks for this grate Unity asset!

Ho, If I use RAR as installer? So downloading the files via ftp can corrupt the RAR file as line endings change?

25. mihanocho

mihanocho

All the created patches stored in MGPatcherBuilder/platform name/patch/ name patch. Send me an email I send you version 2.6

26. J_P_

J_P_

the .patch file that MGPatcher creates is just a zip file (you can change it to .zip and unzip it). But the extension they chose ( .patcher ) is flagged as an ascii extension in Filezilla and other FTP clients, so it treats it like a plaintext file instead of a binary and it can change it a bit if you transfer it using the FTP client (unless you change your settings in Filezilla or whatever client you use to make sure it uses binary mode, like MGPatcher does).

27. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Perfect!

probably a silly question... I do not understand what MGDownload is for. I can have a simple download link in my web page, I do not get it. It has a relationship with your answer? ("like MGPatcher does")

28. mihanocho

mihanocho

MGDownloader this is an example program that can download a starter version of the game to the user. He is looking for the server patch start_version_last_version.patch downloads and unpacks it in the correct folder. In version 2.6 will be available to change the format of the patch. You will be able to specify zip.

29. mihanocho

mihanocho

As you all think. Whether the function Rebuild version and patches? Thanks

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  30. mihanocho

mihanocho

A new version is available in the AssetStore

31. Blessedone

Blessedone

Im not really sure where to go from here... I thought everything was setup and working but anytime i try to apply a patch im getting this same error "Error: Invalid patch: ...\Managed\Assembly-UnityScript.dll"

this happens no matter what changes I make, other than failing to apply the patch to the client it appears to be functioning as expected .. ( creating patches and ftping them to my server / checking for updates and downloading them ) please help.
    im on the latest version just downloaded from asset store (v 2.6.0.0) and unity 5.2.3 on win 7

attached is a invalid patch renamed to a zip

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  32. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

I would guess you are running into the same issue we did that Unity is currently using a file and it won't let you actually push that file to the current build because of that. We moved to a separate launcher project that runs outside of the main game instead and have not had any issues since then.

33. mihanocho

mihanocho

Patchertries to writenew datato a filebutthe file is in use. If you use"Resource.Load"thenuploadthe linkfrom memory.Here's howIdid it.
    upload_2015-11-28_9-14-19.png

34. mihanocho

mihanocho

In last version. Add VisualStudio project
    upload_2015-11-28_9-32-40.png

35. mihanocho

mihanocho

36. mihanocho

mihanocho

-AddedMGPatcherforVisualStudio.
    -Added support for MEGA.NZ(Cloudserver) for VisualStudio.
    Added a fewuseful features: Rebuildversion, repatchversions.
    Add will be availablein the new update.
    upload_2015-12-3_18-40-20.png
    Screenshot_5.png

CaptainMurphy likes this.
  37. mihanocho

mihanocho

Add Microsoft Azure Storage
    upload_2015-12-12_22-11-21.png
    Itis very quick andwill allow you to updatethousands of applications.
    upload_2015-12-12_22-13-25.png

38. takapi

takapi

hi, mihanocho.
    I updated the MGPathcer.
    I have a question.

>-AddedMGPatcherforVisualStudio.

Where is the MGPatcherforVisualStudio?

39. mihanocho

mihanocho

Oh, really. AssetStore delete my archive. Drop me a mail I will send you.

40. takapi

takapi

hi,mihanocho.
    I sent you to e-mail. :)

41. mihanocho

mihanocho

New version submitted for review. New price - $30. You can get it now and sending me a mail.

42. takapi

takapi

hi,mihanocho.
    I already have the MGPatcher.
    I need to buy the new version ?

43. mihanocho

mihanocho

No as soon as the update is available. You will be able to update it

44. Mazak

Mazak

Good, I rushed to buy it yesterday

45. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

I have a request that would really help our workflow for deployment. Could there be a button on the builds that allows us to build a .patch file for that version as though it was a starting version? Something that would be to the left of the new 'Rebnuild' button would be great. Also, that it could have a version identifier file included (CurrentVersion.txt like the launcher would use) that can be used by the external patcher to then pick up the updates from that point.

46. mihanocho

mihanocho

Create new version with name "start_version" and build. Next delete files and folder in content folder. Repatch with this version

47. mihanocho

mihanocho

Current Version will have to do only 1 time for the package to download the user. With each update the file is overwritten.

48. mihanocho

mihanocho

A new version is available in Asset Store.

49. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

That restarts my versions.txt through doesn't it? Also that leaves a LOT of room for error and doesn't allow us to put the CurrentVersion.txt file into the patch file automatically. That also precludes us from being able to designate a start version of, say, 2 versions back, rather than the current build. Even if is was a checkbox to designate which version was the new 'start_version' would be great, so that when we do a build/rebuild on that version that it takes the place of the start version in the patching list. Our problem is we do NOT want to make changes to the current patch list since some clients may be running an older version that needs to roll to the latest should they play again and by removing all of the patches from the list it leaves us with no patches in the versions.txt on the server and starts them all over on the patching or worse yet gives them a big fat error on the launcher and we lose that customer for good. At that point I might as well just make them download a fresh version every single time and be done with it.

By allowing a new full version that is technically outside of the basic patching process and only serves as a starting point for patches (with a CurrentVersion.txt file injected), that lets the launcher be able to grab a single file that is named the same and will serve as a starting point for the patcher regardless of where in the list of patches that it picks up from.

Example case:
    We deploy version 1.0.0 as our start_version. We deploy for 2 weeks with daily patches (20+ patches). We have pushed out a downloader/patcher/launcher that serves as the access point for our customers to get the game. We determine that we are going to now want our initial start version (v 1.0.0) to be deprecated and that the launcher/patcher/downloader should start using version 1.1.1 as the new 'main' version to grab the first time. We do NOT want to change our current list of patches since we have customers that are running every version from 1.0.0 to 1.1.0 and we want them to still have access to the standard rolling patch list so that they can be brought up to date without having to get the latest full download. But we want any NEW customers that run the launcher to get that 'full' game as their starting point, not a designated start that had to be done 22 versions back then roll forward through them all. We also do NOT want to remove the patches from the content folder since those serve as an archive of the builds that we can then make special patches for direct patching.

So, as in the above example, we would just check a button next to the build that says "full game" or something similar and that build is then used to create a .patch file that could be used as a download point for the launcher. That .patch file would then be uploaded to our server to be the point at which new customers would start at if they use the launcher to download the game. It would use the same mechanism as the start, but we would not lose our version list or the content folder or have to do a bunch of workaround steps to do something that is standard deployment practice.

50. mihanocho

mihanocho

use a Rolling update and you don't have to keep starting a lot of versions on the server. It's so MGPatcherTools you can delete all old versions except the last one. The update will not take much time for the client. In the video you can see how Patcher version updates 10 for 5 seconds. This Is A Rolling Update.