Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Graphics MF.SSGI [V1.0 LIVE] - Bridging the gap between URP and HDRP - Global Illumination & Occlusion

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by Michiel-Frankfort, Nov 30, 2022.

1. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

I will look into it! I'll try to fix it and get back to you.

2. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

I'm also trying out other interiors, so I recently purchased this asset, removed all the lightmaps and converted it to URP.

Here are some results with realtime lighting + MF.SSGI only:

MF.SSGI - Garage - 2.gif

MF.SSGI - Garage - 3.gif

Attached Files:

Kreshi, CrazyCode_ and Vincentin like this.
  3. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Just a quick update; I've paused the prototyping of new features for a bit in favour of denoise and stability improvements. I'm also tinkering with Forward mode a bit more, providing better tools to achieve Deferred-like visuals (as Deferred is simply way better).

So the next update will contain fixes for the higher Unity versions as mentioned by @mgear and improvements tailored towards larger / complex scenes i.e. Terrain with vegetation and other dense geometry scènes like the Sci-fi base I posted.

Stay tuned!

PutridEx, Vincentin, JesOb and 2 others like this.
  4. Pode

Pode

@Michiel-Frankfort very impressive asset! Are you planning the compatibility with the Builtin pipeline?

Michiel-Frankfort likes this.
  5. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Yes I do, hope to get to it somewhere around April. Until then I will be focused on support, optimization and improvements.

blueivy likes this.
  6. Pode

Pode

Thanks for the quick answer!

7. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Quick update; a new package has been submitted! I expect it to go live soon.

Since in recent day I made good progress with noise and flicker reduction (especially in complex scenes with tiny hard-edged surfaces) I decided to upload a new version.

Known issue: in some rare cases, green GI light turns blue. If you are experiencing this, a solution is being worked on. It's caused by the encoded light-directions, so you can disable these at the Quality-settings if you need a quick work-around. I expect to have a fix ready soon.

Cheers!

PutridEx, JesOb and blueivy like this.
  8. invadererik

invadererik

Hi, I just recently bought your SSGI package, but I'm having a bit of an issue, I opened your sample scene and I can see the effects of the SSGI in the scene view but not in the game view. I reread the docs a few times but don't see right away what I might have missed.

Using Unity 2021.3.15f1 windows DX11 , URP, High quality, deferred rendering

9. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Hi!
    Over at the Graphics-settings, did you select the example urp asset? If you see it in the sceneview is an indication that ssgi is added to your primary renderer. The second camera (on the right) uses index 1, so the secondary renderer. Of you don't have two renderers setup, it wil throw an error and not show it in the gameview

10. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Btw; if that's the case I will add it to the documentation! So nice catch, and thank you for purchasing MF.SSGI!

11. invadererik

invadererik

When I run I get no errors in my console.

I had not selected the "MF.SSGI - Example URP Profile" in the graphics settings,
    I had instead added ssgi to my current profile as it says in the guide.

After selecting the example profile in the graphics settings, I still get no errors on running and have the same issue, I can see it in the scene view, but both views of the room look exactly the same in the game view (no ssgi).

Note: I also tried adding all the shaders via the script to the built in shaders (although that seems like a build step only)

12. invadererik

invadererik

13. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Hmm that is odd. Especially when you do see SSGI work in scene-view.
    I'll send you a DM with the latest version, perhaps that fixes it. We can then easily go over it together and see what's happening in more detail.

14. invadererik

invadererik

Thanks for the support! =] I needed to make sure that the renderer profile was also applied to the quality settings !

15. Wayne-wyj

Wayne-wyj

Is there any change for supported version?
    I remember that 2021.3.16f shuold be supported on asset store site.But now I find that only 2021.3.0f is supported on site.Will there be any error if I buy this asset and use it with 2021.3.16f?

16. il_8izips

il_8izips

Thanks for updating!
    With a new package, flickering issue improved much!

But I'm working on 2022.2.4f1, there's some problem getting depth information with warning.
    Recent urp uses rt handle, so I fixed some and it works well.

SSGIPass.cs
    line 461, 479, 762, 764
    cameraColorTarget -> cameraColorTargetHandle

line 278
    UNITY_RTNAME_DEPTH -> renderer.cameraDepthTargetHandle

Michiel-Frankfort and blueivy like this.
  17. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Yes, there is only one version available indeed that runs on all new versions.
    Before I submit for approval I test it in different editor version. For the next update I'll include 2021.3.16f specifically (project Tucson is the codename for MF.SSGI)
    upload_2023-2-1_9-50-18.png

I did indeed see the warning fired @il_8izips, so I will fix that soon, but it works in 2021.3.16f1. I'm currently working on a new racegame for Little Chicken and this too uses MF.SSGI and it runs 2021.3.16f1, looks amazing so I will share some screens soon!

18. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Hi all! Just wanted to say; big big thanks to all that purchased the asset, much appreciated!! ❤️

Two announcements:
    - Starting tomorrow the asset will be part of the Unity Assetstore Sale! 50% discount! Starting February 9 through 22, 8am PT.

- Also V1.1.3 is live, tackling some important quality-of-life issues. You can find the release notes below

---- V1.1.3 Improvements:
    - Greatly improved AA for SSGIObject-components
    - SSGIObjects nolonger create material instances but uses only MaterialPropertyBlocks
    - Support for 'Dynamic resolution' and Renderscales different than 1.0
    - Added a 'Readme' for the demo-scene, explaining how to set it up properly
    - Slightly faster raycast shadows
    - Improved denoise presets for the included Quality-profiles

---- V1.1.3 Bug fixes:
    - SSGIObjects were not properly depth-clipped when shadows were turned off.
    - Fixed issue where pure green-colors turned blue due to color+lightdir+shadows being packed into a single texture

19. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Great news! MF.SSGI is now 50% Discounted!!!

Many thanks if you decide to purchase and support development ❤

20. CrazyCode_

CrazyCode_

Hey, first of all, awesome looking work
    Do you have any updates on Metal API support?

I just tried it on mac in Unity 2022.2.5, and I'm getting these issues :

'CommandBuffer: temporary render texture _CameraDepthTexture not found while executing MFSSGI_WorldPositions (Blit source)'
    'Metal: Error creating pipeline state (MF_SSGI/FinalBlit): depthAttachmentPixelFormat is not valid and shader writes to depth'

lukasynthetic likes this.
  21. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Hi!

Yes I will look into it. Send me a DM and we can look into it together.

Thank you for your support!

22. Wayne-wyj

Wayne-wyj

Thanks for testing on 2021.3.16f and 50% discount . I have already bought it.

23. lukasynthetic

lukasynthetic

Exactly in the same situation here.
    Same errors on Mac M1 and Unity 2022.5

24. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Thank you for your purchase! My apologies for the inconvenience.

I'm working on it, and I might have the fix ready. Send me a DM and we can investigate it, I'll send you the update.

Thank you!

25. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Hi all!

@Kreshi showed me this amazing video he made and allowed me to share it with you; It shows the Difference between Radiant Global Illumination and MF.SSGI.

Screenshot_20230211_153248_YouTube.jpg

Full disclosure, I did not ask him or sponsor him, he did this as a comparison video for a Discord-channel he is part of and allowed me to share it. So big big thanks to @Kreshi for the effort taken, very kind!

CrazyCode_ likes this.
  26. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Quick Apple M1 Metal update; the current version turns the screen black. Thanks to some testers I found the solution, so if you are experiencing this; I plan to upload a hot fix tomorrow! Should be there in 3-4 business days...

27. kman360

kman360

Hey is there a discord for MF.SSGI, the forums are difficult to navigate and make conversations with more complex issues problematic. Currently struggling with integrating SSGI with a few Different Customs shaders

28. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

I'm on Discord, but I don't use it regularly. Send me a DM and I will help you out. We can also schedule a call next week if you like. Let me know!

29. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

!!!50% Sale ends today!!!

Today I'm spending my time in the hospital. Hopefully in roughly 24 hours time, I'll be a father again! We are expecting a daughter, so hopefully all goes well. My gf is holding up, although in much pain.

So all your support and help over the past months have been amazing. I love the Unity community and along the way I got to know many talented and amazing people. So big shout out to you! And a big thanks to all that purchased the asset!

Wish us luck!

30. Pode

Pode

31. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Yess thank you!
    I'm happy to report baby Chloë was born Wednesday night and is happy and healthy, at 4056 grams. Me and my girlfriend are super happy!
    IMG-20230223-WA0013.jpg

32. kaliyo

kaliyo

Discovered a pretty mean bug.
    Tested on 2022.1.24f and 2022.2.5

When opening an animation in unity, to preview it in the bottom right window, the whole game scene and cameras with SSGI turn greyish. Can only be fixed by restarting unity, so a heavy hit on the workflow.

The grey screen is fixed when removing SSGI.

There is no error or anything in the console.

Edit: This also appears when selecting a material in the editor.
    I assume that SSGI gets confused by the camera created inside the editor to preview the animation or the material.

Edit2: Got an error to pop up

Code (CSharp):
    1. CommandBuffer: temporary render texture _CameraDepthTexture not found while executing MFSSGI_WorldPositions (Blit source)
    2. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent (int,intptr,bool&)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2023
  33. Pode

Pode

Wonderful release ! ;)

34. lukasynthetic

lukasynthetic

Hello,
    I noticed a massive frame drop at the start of Playmode. Running profiler revealed Inl_Unnamed_ScriptableRenderPass takes 145.9ms.
    It happens at main menu screen, where it's only UI and some animation and normally goes up to 4ms, but it only happens once.
    Mac M1 Pro, Unity 2022.2.6(7,8)
    Btw the command buffer error still persists...not sure if related.

PS. Congratulations! :)
    Screenshot 2023-02-24 at 20.34.12.png Screenshot 2023-02-24 at 20.19.30.png

Last edited: Feb 24, 2023
  35. kaliyo

kaliyo

The five script files in the project folder are missing script references. I assume this is what causing the bug above.
    Deleting and reimporting mfssgi does not fix it, any ideas?

36. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Hi, my apologies for the late response, is has been a hectic but lovely few days.
    I will look into this, this edge-case is clearly something that should easily be fixed. For the time being. perhaps disabling the previews will solve this issue.
    upload_2023-2-27_16-37-2.png

I will put this issue on the backlog and make sure it's properly solved in a future update!
    Thanks!

37. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Hi!

Thank you, much appreciated.
    I opened the profiler myself and every sprike related to MF.SSGI has a clear name associated with it. The 'Unnamed _ScriptableRenderPass' also shows, but at a very low CPU time.

In case of UI: I advice to create at least two renders, one 'default' renderer that is 'clean' of any post-process effects. This because UI, realtime cubemaps, etc all use the default renderer and Unity happily applies i.e. Ambient Occlusion or SSGI on UI that doesn't show... This saves performance and might also fix your performance spike.

Let me know if it worked. You can send me a DM so we can investigate together more in depth if you like.

38. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Hi,

These ASE shaderfunctions should not have been part of the package at all. So it doesn't cause the issue, but it's not nice either. I'll make sure future updates won't contain them.

Thanks for the tip!

39. marcell123455

marcell123455

Hey @Michiel-Frankfort ,

I know I asked that a while ago, but what is the state of a build in RP version?

40. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Hi!

The state is that I think I will find the time next month to do a proper port. Most issues have been resolved and the latest version proves to be quite stable. So porting is next on my todo list.

But the port will take some time and requires a big shuffle in the way the code is structured. At the moment it's hard to pin-point an eta.

Cheers!

marcell123455 likes this.
  41. LapidistCubed

LapidistCubed

This asset looks great!
    I've been on the hunt for literally years to find a decent realtime GI system for Unity, and this one can be a serious contender!

I have a question about the SSGIObject functionality of it. Is there a non-component API that supports meshes drawn using Graphics.DrawMeshInstanced/DrawMeshInstancedIndirect? Or does the per-object injection of these settings kinda break instancing altogether?

Also, do you have any info on how this GI solution compares to other popular ones, such as Radiant GI? Both in terms of features and performance. I think a side-by-side comparison could really help to illustrate the differences between the two, as developers using these existing lighting solutions may want to know how it compares to their current system!

Thanks in advance! Excited to see this project continue!

42. tanaka0123

tanaka0123

43. tanaka0123

tanaka0123

Sorry for the repetitiveness.

I would like to use MF.SSGI to realize the expression like the point light in the figure below.
    Is there any good way to do this?

From reading the documentation, it seems that MF.SSGI tries to create a nice expression by emitting light from an object and reflecting light from a reflection probe.
    Is it basically better not to use point lights or spot lights?

I would like to know how to actually set it up by referring to sample projects like VIking-village.
    MFSSGI - Is it possible to provide scene files other than the Showcase scene?

44. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Hmmm that indeed seems odd. Could you also provide a screenshot with SSGI turned off in WebGL? I think it's because the scene is really dark and rendered in Forward-mode. In forward, the Albedo-pass is 'reconstructed' using some trickery and I noticed this really depends on HDR working well. Since WebGL handles HDR differently then the editor does, in extremely dark area's it will loose 'precision' and color-banding will appear.

Send me a DM and we can investigate it together if you like.
    PS: Sorry I missed the other post.

45. BreakingPointDev

BreakingPointDev

Wow this looks incredible. The only thing making me hesitant is that I'm looking for a solution that supports VR but I haven't found any yet, may just hold off awhile longer.

marcell123455 likes this.
  46. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Hey Michiel! Product looks great, but can you provide a screenshot of an example of an indoor scene lit only by a sun coming through a window? that tends to be my favorite gauge for GI quality.

47. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Hi,

These are a bit old already, but here you go!
    MF.SSGI - Garage - 2.gif

MF.SSGI - Garage - 3.gif

WebGL demo:
    MF.SSGI - V1.1 - WebGL demo scene - Compare.jpg

Example scene provided with asset
    upload_2022-12-6_13-37-59.png

48. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

BreakingPointDev likes this.
  49. newton1212

newton1212

Hello,

I started experimenting with the settings in MFSSGI. So far the performance is good on my GTX 1050 Ti, but I have been having issues with stability. Right now, the lighting changes noticeably in response to camera motion. I noticed that the debug GI pass appears to be missing some information compared to what it shows in the setup tutorial. The SSGIColor output seems to be missing albedo, while SSGIShadow is pretty much blank. Is this intended behavior?

These images use deferred lighting and the demo scene alongside a test scene of mine. Right now, reflected light dominates a bit too much. The ground plane has a metallic/smoothness of 0, but reflects quite strongly onto the character. Output Edited 1.png Output Edited 2.png

50. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Hi!

This is odd indeed. Send me a DM and we can look at it more closely together. Perhaps a quick chat on discord would be best