Search Unity

Metroidvania Games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by strashiner, Apr 4, 2020.

1. strashiner

strashiner

As you know with the virus happening and the economy being severely slow, I've decided to take it upon myself to make another game.

My budget's around 150k USD or so and I'm thinking of making a high end metroidvania game. Of course I envisioned this game to be pixelized but with applied shaders/light similar to games like octopath traveler or other games with similar light shades working well with pixel art.

I don't know why but I find it beautiful for pixel art to mesh well with dynamic shaders and lighting effects.
    So my question is:

- Are there pre-existing formats/plugins that support metroidvania games that can be flexible and added upon?
    - Does unity mimic unreal's shaders and lighting effects similar to that of octopath traveler. (granted octopath is a tad bit too intense in terms of shaders/lighting.)

Finally, this is an opinion for many who are developers like myself:

- Does the market BUY metroidvania games, if so, will they continue to do so in the next 1 to 2 years.

Thank you for reading my thread!

D.W

P.S

Metroidvania = Sidescroller games like Katana Zero, Hallow Knight, with RPG Elements and arcade-esque gameplay.

2. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I will defenitly buy metrovania games if they are good, like axiom verge for example.

strashiner likes this.
  3. kdgalla

kdgalla

Unity's recently developed a new 2D lighting system:

This might make it easier to set-up the lighting effects that you want.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.