Search Unity

Games Metroid Prime-Like work in progress

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by maikyy, Mar 22, 2018.

1. maikyy

maikyy

Hey all,

So I have always loved the metroid games and I love just messing around in unity creating all sorts of things.
    Lately I really needed something to get my metroid fix but I didn't feel like playing any of the games so just for fun I thought why not try and create a metroid prime like game myself, for no other reason to just see if I can.

Now I really do not have a lot of experience with game development at all, like I said I love messing around in unity but that doesn't mean that I am very proficient with it :p

Anyhow this is what I have so far and I'd love to hear what you think.

First off: The camera movement.
    I wanted a mix between normal mouse aim and the way metroid prime 3 handled the camera and I am very happy with the results.

The arm cannon.
    the arm cannon always looks towards the crosshairs and it fires at it.

Locking on targets.
    I put a very basic lock on script on my player and it works for now, but I do need to at least add a smooth transition between normal and lock on

Basic Missiles and Chargebeam.
    Also added some simple missiles that will try to go towards the target, I still don't really like how they move.
    The plan is that they launch out the barrel, slow down and smoothly find the target and then speed up.
    and ofcourse the chargebeam, the charge animation position offset needs work and for now the projectile it fires is based on how long you have charged it

Ledge climb.
    So the one thing I don't like about the prime series is that you are a lot slower and more sluggish than in the other metroid games, and for starters one of the things I want to do to change that is to add a legde climb (maybe even ledge grab like in metroid zero mission and fusion if I can figure out a good way to implement that in a fps game).

so as you can see it needs a lot of work, first of all I am going to rewrite the entire player because it uses a charactercontroller and for the things I want to do I need a rigidbody, after that I will probably work on the morphball.

So, please let me know what you think.

Update 03/27
    I fully rewrote my input manager, and character movement, so I have a lot more freedom in what I can do with it, and for starters I've added in a dash powerup.
    https://gfycat.com/ColorlessPointlessIceblueredtopzebra

Next up I really want to try and add to the Ledge Climb mechanic by adding in a ledge grab/hold.
    once in the air near a ledge you can either press space to climb the ledge or hold space to hold on to the ledge and look around (on a clamped angle).
    then if you look in the direction of the ledge and let go you will climb it and if you look away you either just let go or push away from the ledge ( something I need to play around with and see what feels better ).

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    RavenOfCode and theANMATOR2b like this.
  2. Mandals

Mandals

What do you use to block out your sandbox map?

3. maikyy

maikyy

Probuilder, awesome tool that recently was added to unity (download from the asset store)

4. FenixOfGreen

FenixOfGreen

Hey, this looks awesome. Been following this for a bit. Ive been trying to do something similar, mainly the shooting style. However, i just cant get it right. Do you mind me asking how you get you bullets to hit exactly on target? Ive been searching forever for help but i cant seam to find any.

Also, i noticed on another forum that you were reworking this, and i was wondering if you could share this versons source? If not and its proprietary then i understand. Just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. Thanks, keep up the great work.