Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

methods of making sprites "3D" in an RPG that is ~2D but drawn in 3D

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Fractalbase, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Fractalbase

Fractalbase

I've started working on a roguelike game (initially 2D tiles, grid-based, bird's eye view / top-down perspective).

However, I've decided to make my game 3D.

I've figured out a few ways to do a "2D-esque" variation of a lot of elements of the game.

But for simple items based off of sprites, i'm somewhat befuddled.

Any recommendations or suggestions?

thanks.

2. RichardKain

RichardKain

One of the more difficult challenges when dealing with this approach is having your characters clearly visible despite the fact that you are looking down on them from above. (not an optimal angle for viewing characters)

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds tackled this issue by actually "tilting" it's characters and enemies so that they would be more visible from the top. This made the characters less "accurate" when it came to how they related to the world around them, but it achieved the desired visual effect. It was only possible to take this approach because tight control was kept of the camera and its limits.

I've actually experimented a little with using 3D models in conjunction with render textures to generate dynamic sprites based on 3D models and animations. It's a possible approach, but does require some extra prep work and somewhat limits your stylistic options.