Search Unity

Methodical Action Platformer

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by coah, Aug 30, 2013.

1. coah

coah

The game is getting closer to completion, I should be done before the new year. If you would like to test the full game and tell me about what you liked, or didnt that would be really great.

email me if you would like to be a tester, it's a gmail account, and the adress is eg.coah
    monocosm.net/daughters-of-the-void.html

Hello everyone,

This game doesn't have name yet, so I'm calling it by its subtitle for now. It's a game primarily inspired by two NES titles, Zelda II and Castlevania. Any feedback at all would be great, but Id really like to know what worked or didn't work for you, if something feels wrong mechanically or if the audio or visual aesthetic is unappealing in some way, but please elaborate, id really like to build on this feedback.

This build features the first of five worlds within the game. So this should give you a good idea of the major structural elements of the game.

Download it here:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/6cv1pps6pk03opv/Methodical_Action_Platformer_a2u1.zip

General Notes before playing:

A lot of sound effects are placeholders. Usually a sound cue is just a bleep for now until I make a proper sound for it. Otherwise the use of generated sound is what I am currently expecting to be a part of the final game.
    The music is not composed for the game, they are older classical guitar compositions.

The menu doesn't work well in this build. The pause menu mostly works but only sound settings can be manipulated.
    In a menu every time you press accept you increase your menu depth and get a new menu, in some cases there is no menu to go to, but your depth is still increased, just keep pressing Esc or (b) to lower depth if you get lost.

There is support for an Xbox controller.

Basic Tips:
    You can stab projectiles

You can duck and jump at the same time

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  2. kdgalla

kdgalla

The game play's too difficult for me but it looks really cool. I really like the retro Nintendo-style look. Are you planning to make similarly Nintendo styled music eventually?

3. coah

coah

I'm going to get someone to compose the guitar music for the final game. I think that using chiptunes plays to what you'd expect from a game that looks like this, so using actual recordings would be far more interesting I think.

4. coah

coah

I've kept working on this for some time now, here's where it's at;

It' called Daughters of the Void. I think the game will be feature.complete by the end of december. I've got a little website here: http://monocosm.net/ Where you can download a demo for the current version.

I haven't used any 2D toolkits, its all custom stuff.

5. marcos

marcos

This reminds me of a real good time in gaming! :)
    Keep up the AWESOME work!

6. coah

coah

@marcos, thank you, I really hope the full games lives up to your enthusiasm.

I would like some people to test this thing. I've got a few already, but you never know who's still going to be there when the time comes, let me know!