Search Unity

metallic values for humans?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by tawdry, Oct 1, 2017.

1. tawdry

tawdry

Hi
    Anyone know where i can find metal values for skin eyes nails tongue inside mouth etc?
    Or would you not need metal values for these?

2. bgolus

bgolus

That's not (just) a wide eyes emoji, humans are not metal, so the metallic value is zero.

However the standard shader is also rather poor at representing skin. It lacks the subsurface scattering and dual specular that skin has.

3. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

^ what he said.

Also, metallic values are generally 0.0 or 1.0 and not something in between. So there is absolutely no need for an index of metal values for materials.

I think the only valid use-cases for inbetween values is because the artist likes an in-between value, so who cares about realism and stuff like "a somewhat dusty metal" where the "proper" way to do it would be too complicated and using an in-between value might look good enough.

4. tawdry

tawdry

I downloaded that calibration asset in the unity essentials and it has a skin texture with the metal slider at 0.3 which is why i was asking.And if skin has a mettalic value setting then eyes and nails would be even higher specially eyes. Or is it fine to just use smoothness with standard shader .

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

In this case I think if if you are avoiding using a skin shader you probably should just fiddle until you see it look right.

6. tawdry

tawdry

Well def agree skin is 0 on that metal scale.Any advice on smoothness i am trying 0.2 across the board as a base and then upping it in areas that have more shine. is 0.2 too shiny for human skin? can't find a single tutorial or image showing a metallic map for a humanoid:(