Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Metal Editor support does not display correct preview.

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by samnarain, Apr 21, 2017.

1. samnarain

samnarain

Just in case this gets missed; when using the experimental Metal support for the Editor, the preview as well as in the Inspector and when using the AssetPreview utilities, is very dark. This happens at least in Unity 5.6.0 and with p1 on El Capitan. I already submitted a bug report, and adding this here in case someone encounters it. The only way to get around it as far as I know is to disable the Metal editor support. Most likely it won't get fixed as it is experimental, but it would be nice to know if for example Sierra users with Metal support enabled, experience the same.

2. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

That doesn't surprise me, from what I can tell, Unity's got a crippled form of Metal support in 5.6. It doesn't support pragma targets above something like 3.5 (opengl can do 4.6), and visually several things just didn't look right for me. If I had to guess, I'd say that the team working on this has been having an incredibly difficult time. It's 4 months later than promised (when announced at WWDC last June, it was said to be available by the end of the year), and missing some significant features (such as tessellation). I'm hopeful that the Unity development team are still working towards getting full and proper support for the Metal API, if not as a 5.6.x update than with 2017.1.