Search Unity

Messiah pmg

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by AlbertoT, Mar 9, 2010.

1. AlbertoT

AlbertoT

Hello

Messiah PMG released 4.5 version c/w FBX exporter which I have been waiting for a long time
    Messiah is an advanced middle priced animation software
    It might be the right solution for an audience of Indie /hobbyest Unity3d users

2. spaceMan-2.5

spaceMan-2.5

does it has a webpage?..

looks nice..

3. AlbertoT

AlbertoT

www.projectmessiah.com

It may be of interest to people who like me dont have neither skill nor time for modelling ,not at least human beings or animals

You can purchase models on the web , however you can not but animate your characters by yourself
    The application can import in any case also .bvh files

I tested the 3.0 demo some time ago and I found it quite user friendly
    At the time only the .x file exporter was availabe

4. giyomu

giyomu

I used it long time ago, it was already nice tool.
    if you are on budget, and have a modeling application that don't support animation messiah ca become a nice complement.

So if fbx is valid now it can be a good way to go for unity user who don't own package modeling with animation feature

5. techmage

techmage

silo + messiah would be a pretty slick pipeline

6. giyomu

giyomu

indeed :wink:

and add 3DCoat over it for texture map solution and you can take over the world hehe :D

7. AlbertoT

AlbertoT

It is what I mean, the suit : Silo + 3DCoat + Messiah costs about 600 usd less than any other high end application and much more game oriented

I would suggest to add also Poser 8

8. MatthewJCollins

MatthewJCollins

I'm very excited about this release. They also have a Mac version now too. I'm not a Mac user, but I know there are quite a few around here.

I did a few early tests and the FBX export seems to import pretty well into Unity.

Yeah, I too think Messiah would integrate well into a low cost suite. In fact, that is pretty much the setup I have.

Silo + 3DCoat + UVLayout + Gile + Messiah + Unity

Less than $1,000 for a pretty solid game production suite. Not Bad! :)

9. AlbertoT

AlbertoT

That's interesting
    My main concern with Unity3d is the FBX exporter
    (A lot of issues but Unity3d team seem not care about such a trivial stuff :( )

B y the way How could you test Messiah FBX exporter ?
    The demo version does not allow to export animations

10. MatthewJCollins

MatthewJCollins

I'm not using the demo, I have the full licensed version. I'm very happy that the upgrade from 4 to 4.5 was free. :)

There are a few issues with import, but my initial tests were pretty good. I tried 3 different animations, and two of them imported fine. I still have to investigate why the third didn't import properly. I'm sure there are little hiccups here and there to work around, but it will take more testing see how everything is working.

This is a very quick and dirty test, but this character was imported from Messiah and is using WASD to walk around in Unity.

Messiah/Unity Test

I still have to try a better character with multiple animations yet.

11. AlbertoT

AlbertoT

Thanks

Version 4.5 supplies also an advanced auto rig system
    One of the most interesting features for me
    Did you test it ? Does it work fine ?

12. MatthewJCollins

MatthewJCollins

I haven't tested the new AutoRig3 yet, but the previous version worked well. It does make rigging most characters go much faster.

13. AlbertoT

AlbertoT

Dele

Sorry to bother you again about Messiah
    I want :
    To merge an .obj model and a .bvh skeleton
    To skin the model
    To copy a .bvh animation, having same skeleton

Is it possible ?

Thanks in advance

14. MatthewJCollins

MatthewJCollins

I have not tried BVH motions yet myself. I purchased Messiah last summer and ended up getting more into the scripting. Ulven has been working on getting BVH files to work with AutoRig though.

You might want to check out this post on the SetupTab forums:
    http://setuptab.com/index.php/topic,1166.0.html

Some of the folks over there would know a bit more about using BVH files. It might be worth swinging by and asking a few questions. There are some folks testing the FBX export with Unity over there too. You might want to keep an eye on that as well, see how it pans out.

15. shadowfork

shadowfork

Yes. It is definitely possible... and easy! You can use the bones from the BVH file right off the bat. The thing I like with Messiah is that you have an 'EDIT' mode where the rig is in T-pose (or however you like it), and the 'ANIMATION' is separate. So you can make modifications in EDIT and it will update it in ANIMATION. EDIT is used to setup the bones to their proper rest positions.

Here's a sample I did with my Optimus Prime model waaaaay back 2008: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kPjBtEj-nw

and this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCVyrircSS4

Modeled in Lightwave
    Rigged in Messiah
    Rendered in Modo