Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback [MeshSync] Z-up and FlipYZ - still wrong orientation - rotate 180

Discussion in 'Virtual Production Previews' started by newguy123, Sep 21, 2022.

1. newguy123

newguy123

With default settings, ie FlipYZ, the model comes in facing the wrong direction, ie north and south is swopped. It makes no difference if I select RotateX:

upload_2022-9-22_0-53-5.png

To correct it, I have to rotate the root object 180 in Y:
    upload_2022-9-22_0-55-45.png

2. sindharta_at_unity

sindharta_at_unity

Unity Technologies

Thank you for your feedback.
    Just in case, can you please attach your sample file ?

newguy123 likes this.
  3. newguy123

newguy123

Sure thing:

Zip File containing Max 2022 Scene with textures attached, FBX WITH Embedded materials, as well as sc file

The Max file is set to the VRay 5 Renderer, but if you dont have VRay, you can just ignore the plugin errors as the actual materials and textures are regular Physical Materials with regular bitmap textures.

Our intended typical use case for MeshSync would be to mainly use Unity for FAST final offline Film rendering. How we see it working is we would take our existing scenes as is, which has some animated cameras, people and vehicles, MeshSync it to a Unity scene that already has clouds, exposure, raytacing/pathtracing setup, fire up Recorder either directly or in a timeline, and output our frames.

We would want to make ALL changes in 3ds Max such us object adjustments, material and texture changes, as well as adjust our camera animations, and see the result live in Unity. I do realise we wont see realtime animation playback, that is fine. As long as we can see the current frame even if it takes a second or 2 to update. Since we will use Unity with pathtracing accumulation and denoiser, we see our typical scenes frames being rendered at 4K in no more than 5 to 15 seconds per frame using RTX 3090 hardware.

So Unity will literally only be used for the environment and atmosphere, clouds, fog, bloom etc, and then using recorder it would render our frames with raytracing or pathtracing (pathtracing preferred). This is how we are producing films currently with a different product, ie livelinking from Max and rendering to the other product, however we would like to switch that component over to Unity, and possibly even later expand it to use the various Cinemachine, sequences etc components in Unity timeline.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
  4. newguy123

newguy123

5. sindharta_at_unity

sindharta_at_unity

Unity Technologies

Sorry for the lack of response.
    MeshSync issues are usually tracked in its Github page, instead of this forum.
    As it seems that the zip file no longer exists, could you please post a new issue there and reattach your sample ?

6. newguy123

newguy123

Well to be honest you dont need a sample. Its easily reproducable with ANY fbx exported from max

sindharta_at_unity likes this.
  7. sindharta_at_unity

sindharta_at_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi again, we had been busy preparing for the new release of MeshSync so I wasn't able to take a proper look at this.

However, I just made a simple sample file and tried to reproduce this today, and I didn't see any problem.
    I tried comparing these in Unity, and they all had the same orientations.
    1. Objects from 3ds Max file containing several primitives with orientations.
    2. Objects from an FBX file, which was previously exported from the 3ds Max file above in 3ds Max 2023
    3. Objects synced from 3ds Max 2023 to Unity by MeshSync@0.15.1-preview

This is the link to the simple 3ds Max file that I made.
    If you have a sample file that I can try, please make an issue in github and attach it.

upload_2022-11-28_12-3-33.png

8. newguy123

newguy123

Hi @sindharta_at_unity
    YOUR max file you posted:
    upload_2022-11-28_9-45-17.png

All you have to do, is go to a TOP VIEW in Unity and you will see the orientation is WRONG.

In your own screenshots from Unity, simply click on the green Y axiz, to go to a top view, and you can CLEARLY see the issue. North and South is flipped. IE, all 3 your models in Unity are incorrect. You can clearly see in your Unity screenshot that the long pyramid is facing south, instead of north like in the top view in Max.