Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question MeshRenderer Reflection Probe usage dropdown is missing?

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by Prodigga, Apr 15, 2022.

1. Prodigga

Prodigga

We updated to 2021 LTS (And so URP 12) and the MeshRenderer Reflection Probe usage is missing from the MeshRenderer component.

If you enable Debug inspector, you can modify the value and it still seems to respect your settings (Off/Blend Probes/Etc) but its just not visible now?

Anyone know why? There are some commits on the Graphics repository to suggest this is what is happening going forward, but I can't find any information

Is this what we are supposed to do in custom tools that generate Mesh Renderers? Set it to ReflectionProbeUsage to 1 (ie BlendProbes)

Where can I find more information about this?

Also, the current upgrade path seems broken. The old value on the MeshRenderer is respected (ie if you had it set to OFF), and now there is no way to set it ON any more (Except via debug inspector).

We had a MeshRenderer Preset that set Probes Usage and Reflection Probe Usage to OFF (so we can opt in where it makes sense in our project/scene) and so we are currently in an awkward position where we have lots of renderers with it set to OFF, any new renderers we create get it set to OFF automatically, and we can't see the setting in the inspector to modify it. Resulted in a bit of headscratching when debugging our shaders and some things weren't receiving reflection probe correctly.

Do we need to walk our entire project for prefabs + scenes and search for Mesh Renderers, and set the ReflectionProbeUsage to BlendProbes using the debug inspector? If not, why not? (If it is 'the way' going forward, as suggested by the commit on the graphics repository)

2. Prodigga

Prodigga

Bump, anyone have any idea? My concerns/questions are:
    • Batching will now be broken when renderers receive different Reflection Probes even if they dont require probes: character shader uses probes, environment does not. Environment is peppered with reflection probes for the character, but now the environment can't batch efficiently because the meshes are all receiving different Reflection probes. What do we do about this?
    • What is the intended upgrade pipeline going forward for Mesh Renderer's who we've set ReflectionProbeUsage to something other than BlendProbes? Does URP 'expect' it to be BlendProbes on everything? Should we go through everything in our project and update the mesh renderers?
    If I dont' get a response back soon here I guess I will open a bug report to try and get some answers and will forward replies here for anyone else who is stuck is wondering this.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  3. Prodigga

Prodigga

Figured I would try one more bump