Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

MeshPaint - Dynamically paint meshes onto other GameObject's surfaces.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by GlitchedPolygons, Jan 12, 2014.

?

MeshPaint on Asset store...

1. Yes pls

60 vote(s)
    92.3%
  2. No thanks

5 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Oh cool, I'm happy that you like it. :)
    I'm using it myself very often lately ;D

In fact, what combine meshes does is take all the meshes you've painted, sort them by material and then combine them into one (new!) mesh per material group.

In situations of small groups of different meshes sharing identical materials it can save you drawcalls.

In large scale though you obviously won't get extreme performance gains, and it's actually not recommended to combine huge volumes of meshes, as that will render them even if only a small bit is seen by the camera (and occlusion culling won't help there)... but the function wasn't only meant to do that.

The main idea was to help devs keeping control over the scene: you can combine small groups of meshes that were meant to be together anyway. This keeps your scene organized and tidy and easy to manage.

I wish you and everyone on this forum a happy new year :)

Cheers, and stay tuned for the next MeshBrush update coming in 2015!

Raphael

2. Gooseman_1977

Gooseman_1977

ah ok, that's awesome. I will keep that in mind. I will only combine meshes when it's appropriate. If I may ask a suggestion for future versions. Can you add a feature to group meshes. So instead of combining the meshes, you can create a new group and throw all of the meshes into that group. This just makes it easier to organize the meshes as I have about 400 meshes in my world.

3. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Sure, I'll put that in V1.3! :)

4. Gooseman_1977

Gooseman_1977

awesum thanks mate!

5. paulus51

paulus51

could you provide a trail version or something for testing purpose ?

6. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Hm, I don't think I'll post a trial version for this nifty little tool (it would practically mean to give it away). But I am planning to do a demo web player for the "paint at runtime" feature. :)

7. paulus51

paulus51

ah well understandable ;-) thanks , i am looking forward to the webdemo thanks again

8. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Heyy devs,

MeshBrush 1.3 is ready to be submitted to the store tomorrow and I'm glad I could make it more or less in sync with the release of Unity 5... I uploaded a video with the release notes of V1.3 and a short demo of some of its features right here:

Release notes:

- Deleting meshes via the paint brush is now possible
    - Added option to use random number for the nr. of meshes to paint
    - Added a paint buffer (also used in deletion algorithms); increased the editor's performance a lot!
    - Added option to save combined meshes to disk for later re-usage (e.g. prefabs)
    - Updated docs (replaced the old crippled .txt file with a properly formatted .pdf documentation file).
    - Improved organisation via the new holder objects/groups system
    - Numerous bugs fixed

I hope you enjoy it :)

Cheers,

Raphael

9. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Just bought this. It's exactly what I was looking for, a quick tool to paint / scatter meshes on other meshes (mostly custom terrain meshes). So far it's working great and has everything I need and more. Huge time saver !

I'm not sure if it's a bug or by design (haven't checked the code yet) but it uses 100% of one my core (sometimes two) when it's active (MeshBrush object selected and cursor in the Scene View not doing anything). You may want to look into this ;)

GlitchedPolygons likes this.
  10. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

I'm glad you like it :D
    I didn't notice that kind of performance drop when I tested it, but I'll make sure to profile it again asap. Cheers ;)

11. Feeron

Feeron

Brilliant tool Raphu! May I ask if its working in Unity 5 before i buy it?

12. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Thanks! Yes it works great with Unity 5, I developed version 1.3 on and for U5.

13. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Hey folks,

I'm currently working on MeshBrush 1.4 and I thought I'd share a preview video with you where I show one of the upcoming features in update 1.4: The precision placement mode

More videos will follow, and the final update itself should be available around next month or so.

As always, feel free to give me a feedback and tell me what your first impressions with this feature are.

Greetings and have a great summer everybody!

14. marcipw

marcipw

Thanks for a great tool Raphu604.
    I bought MeshBrush today as I was really interested in the runtime feature. It worked perfectly and the code was easy for me to read and edit. (I am an artist / designer and not a hardcore c# programmer by any stretch of the imagination)

Any plans to enable OBJ export at runtime?

I am thinking of scenario's where MeshBrush could be used by end users to create assets without having to enter Unity...

The fact that MeshBrush neatly creates sub objects within a sub object means it could be perfect for my needs.

It would tie in really well with a personal project I have been planning for about a year.

P.S. Precision placement also looks fantastic for my project!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  15. Project-Mysh

Project-Mysh

Any way to not lose Prefab connection on paint? It is pretty important when not using combine meshes....

And can you fix compiling errors building for web player? I have to entery remove the plugin folder to be able to compile.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  16. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

I'm currently working on both problems. Should be fixed in MeshBrush V1.4 :)

17. Project-Mysh

Project-Mysh

Thanks for your hard work!

18. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Thanks, you are welcome :D
    I'm trying to keep the quality level of this product as high as possible!

Project-Mysh likes this.
  19. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Hey people,

MeshBrush V1.4 is now waiting for approval and should be released in the next few days.
    Here the release notes for this update:

- Fixed various small bugs.

- Fixed compiling errors on Android and Web Player.

- Prefab connections are now maintained when painting.

- Added the precision placement mode.

- Added the area combine functionality (it’s now possible to combine painted meshes only within the brush area).

- New documentation PDF

Up for V1.5:

Overlap filter(s), saveable templates/setting presets (to store on disk), evtl. layer painting functionality, etc... (?).

It's coming soon (as soon as my time schedule allows) :)

Hope you all enjoy! Cheers, and have a great week!

20. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

MeshBrush V1.4 has been accepted and is ready for download!

Cheers, and have a great time everybody! :D

Project-Mysh likes this.
  21. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Heyy dear developers,

I hope you had an awesome and productive autumn.
    I am happy to announce this year's last MeshBrush update: V1.5, coming end of next week with plenty of innovations and new nifty features. A youtube video will be uploaded soon.

I can't believe this tool is now almost two years old! To me it feels like if it happened yesterday... Time really flies: don't let it kill your projects. Distractions are horrible too: they are to be avoided whenever possible.

Furthermore, I would like to thank you all for the awesome support and feedbeck (huh, little pun with my name... just had to, sorry ;D ) you gave me over these years. The reports, feedbacks, requests, etc... were all reasonable and very fair. I try very hard to satisfy as many user requests and feature suggestions as possible. My tight schedule sadly makes the update frequency suffer sometimes, but be aware that MeshBrush is not dead! It never was :)

I have great plans for MeshBrush next year! V1.6, or rather V2016 will bring even more useful features to you... and, as always, for the same old constant price of 10 dollars.
    I'm proud to tell you that there is also a completely new asset from me on its way to the store, but that'll be a Christmas surprise (hopefully). Hope you all enjoy the news!

Greetings from Switzerland, and have a great time everybody!

Raphael Beck

22. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Whoa, I completely forgot to announce here on the forums the definitive release of the update V1.5... Guys!!! ;D It's out! MeshBrush 1.5, accepted and available since 30th of November on the Asset Store.

I also made a release notes video, showing all the new cool stuff that you can do in MeshBrush V1.5

Chman likes this.
  23. NightmarexGR

NightmarexGR

Hello , i am interested in this plugin , can i use it to paint animated grass ?
    I want to paint animated grass on animated moving characters (skinned mesh).
    Will it follow their movement ?
    Will it get shadows like normal ?

24. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Hi there,

Sorry for the delayed reply!

I'm afraid you can't paint them accurately onto animated meshes, as the painted meshes adapt themselves to the surface of the underlying collider. Shadows are not the problem, but the "following the movement" part...

You can paint animated meshes onto anything that's static (if not combined), and it'll work just fine. But I'm sorry to tell you that it probably won't work very well on a character (or other skinned, animated meshes for that matter)...

25. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Hey guys, based on user reports and feedback I fixed some bugs in V1.5, such as:

- The prefab connections are now maintained in all possible scenarios and situations (not only when painting single meshes).

- I fixed the hard-coded file paths in the code: the MeshBrush root folder can now be moved freely around inside your project, without breaking any paths :)

Submitted 10 minutes ago, should be available next week!

Cheers

FranckS likes this.
  26. FranckS

FranckS

I have to say Global Mode is just awesome, so much more productive. Congrats for this amazing 1.5 version.

27. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Thanks. I'm glad you like it! :D

28. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

I'd also like to announce that the fixed V1.5 has been accepted and is now downloadable from the store :)

Prefab connections are now maintained (for real now) and the root MeshBrush folder can now be moved around freely inside your project (no more annoying errors). The hard-coded paths are gone :>

Stay tuned for V1.6, with the new overlap filter and yet again more performance gains!

If you have any suggestions, feedback or wishes for V1.6, just feel free to post them below. Cheers

Raphael

29. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Hey people!

The long awaited update 1.6 with its highly requested overlap filter is done and submitted to the asset store.
    Numerous bugs have also been fixed.

Now it's just a matter of time... let's hope that the Unity asset store team is fast in reviewing this :>

And as always, here is the usual corresponding release notes video for the update:

30. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

MeshBrush V1.6 has been accepted and is now available for download on the asset store :D

31. FranckS

FranckS

Wonderful overlap filter !
    I have another request:
    It would be interesting to have the ability to define the number meshes in term of average density instead of absolute number. That way, you could change the brush size while painting without having to constantly change the number of mesh to keep a similar mesh density.

32. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Hey that's a great idea man! It's on my todo-list... will be available in V1.7 :>

33. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

I just uploaded the usual release notes video for MeshBrush V1.7: it's done. Submitting the update tonight asap.

I say it in the video, but to make sure most of you users are aware, it's best for this update if you do a clean install instead of just importing the package into Unity. This would mean deleting the root MeshBrush folder and reimporting the package, instead of just overwriting existing files and keeping the rest as is.
    I have changed some things in the structure and removed some unnecessary things (which would now be in conflict with how things are now). I simplified a lot (and even gained a little bit of performance here and there). Don't forget to make a backup of your favourite templates before installing V1.7. Should be available as soon as the asset store team reviews it (ergo probably next week).

I really hope you guys enjoy this update, and FranckS...

...I hope I could fulfill your wish with this update ;)

Is this what you had in mind? Anyway, thanks for the great idea and for helping me make this tool better.

Cheers, and have a good weekend everyone :)

34. FranckS

FranckS

Awesome update ! Looking forward to working with it. And yes, this is exactly what I had in mind, thank you for implementing it !

35. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

MeshBrush V1.7 got accepted to the store and... to be honest guys... I was happy when I read the email this afternoon, and I was gonna create a MeshBrush Showcase thread (coz after 2.5 years I kinda got curious what people have been making with my nifty little tool)... But that new "roadmap" for customers in relation to the new licencing model just ruined it for me. Personally, I don't even want to have anything to do with them anymore.

If you want to know more, you can go check out the link above and read my comment there (provided that they finally publish it)... I'm really disappointed and upset.

I'll see how this whole thing continues, but for now... I'm still sad about the fact that I, as a student with not much money, got scammed like this twice in a row. Also: due to my military service in october I won't be able to update MeshBrush regularly until March 2017 whatsoever (but this would've happened anyway). But that other thing doesn't really help me keep my motivation too high either.... So I'm sorry to announce that there will be a slightly longer pause between updates in that period. I am SO sorry... especially for you guys... because you in the end are what made me even come this far. You're all awesome. And in these scenarios, it's always the innocent customers who sadly suffer the most.

I really hope they will not get through with this and change their minds... I tried to be extremely sincere here guys, and I hope this all still turns out well for all of us. But we'll see...

Sincerely,

Raphael Beck

36. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Guys, thanks to the brilliant Unity Asset Store website update my tool has been forcedly renamed to "shBrush" ;D

I am proud to announce that I have started working on a concept for shBrush V1.8.

Development will start probably around next month, and the release will be next year due to the reasons mentioned in the above post.

Seriously now though, Unity, are you kidding me? 60% of the assets I randomly looked up are affected by this mistake. I'm not too happy, don't have time for this ****.

I decided nonetheless to still create a shBrush showcase thread today or tomorrow, because I can't erase my curiosity of what you've been doing with my asset :>

I'll post a link soon

37. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Greetings!

I just created the MeshBrush showcase thread here inside the asset store forum. If you want, you can share your experiences and creations made with MeshBrush there, and help me get rid of my curiosity about what people have been creating thanks to this tool. :D

I'd like to say a big thank you to everybody here who gave constructive feedback, requests and contributed to this. All this has only been possible thanks to you guys :)

I wish all of you a great summer, and have a great time!

Cheers,

Raphael Beck

38. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey Raph, bought this asset a few hours ago... and it is the REAL DEAL... got my scene looking FANTASTIC with grass in it... If I could make a feature request for an update to this, I would love to see a vertex counter for the TOTAL number of triangles per mesh. I got a little carried away when painting my grass on my model and inadvertently exceeded the vertex count Unity has capped.

Oh and saving the painted result as a file is a real life saver too... since I have another version of a level that uses the same grass painting. The one thing I noticed that I had to rotate it 90 degrees to match the other one... maybe a small bug, but no big deal

39. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Hey, thanks for the nice words man! I'm really happy you like it :>
    I just added the vert count to my to-do list for V1.8. That 90° thing sounds weird though, is it possible that your modelling software exported your grass with a rotation? Try to export it with frozen transform rotations, perhaps that helps(?). I'll have to analyze this in detail, I'm working on it. I'll let you know if I find something out...

40. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

The merged mesh was zeroed out...

41. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Hm, I'm having difficulties trying to imagine the situation. What do you mean by "I have another version of a level that uses the same grass painting". Do you mean the saved asset is being reused in a scene and is now rotated by 90°? Can you please describe the issue in more detail? Don't worry, I'm sure we'll figure out what's wrong here.

42. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Pretty much... I saved the combined mesh as an asset to be used in another level and I had to rotate it 90 degrees when I placed it in the alternate level... which is not a big deal

43. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

UPDATE: It is not a bug... I forgot that I have an empty gameobject that is the parent of the the entire scene rotated at 90 degrees... so when I import the asset for the grass, I have to rotate it 90 degrees to match the other scene

44. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey guys... I don't know if anyone has ever run into this issue but when I do a build, I get an error

Assets/MeshBrush/MeshBrush.cs(2,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `UnityEditor' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

Is there a way around this?

45. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Hey, thanks for reporting this! Wow, this is major... I wonder how nobody else was confronted with this.
    I fixed it, the update should be out in a few days. Until then: open MeshBrush.cs and put #if UNITY_EDITOR at the very top and #endif at the very bottom of the script. This fixes it.

Sorry about this guys, I should've noticed it.

46. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Sweet... and I love the Save Combined Mesh feature :)... it is a life saver for doing all kinds of cool scenes

47. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Thanks for the nice words! I'm happy that you're enjoying it :)

48. DarkXess

DarkXess

Is this still working for the latest Unity version? just wondering before I purchase :)

49. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Sure, it works great! And a new update is coming soon too.

If you (or anybody else here actually) has suggestions for what they want in V1.8, just tell me!

I'll post the upcoming new features as soon as the development starts :>

Cheers

DarkXess likes this.
  50. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Hello dear developers!
    Welcome to 2017 :>
    I'd like to announce that I'll start working on MeshBrush V1.8 next week.

The new features include:

- mouse & wacom pen input support
    - painted meshes vert count + tris count label
    - directional stroke alignment (align the painted meshes according to the brush stroke direction), with customizable tolerances

Several bugs that have been reported will be fixed (or turned into features, like in the case of the automatic/manual refocus of the scene view after changing the inspector LOL).

If you feel like something's missing in the list above, just post your feature suggestions down below ;) I'll give my very best trying to add them to V1.8 :)

Cheers, have a nice weekend!