Search Unity

MeshKit - 3D Editing, Optimisation and Asset Management Plugin

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by melgeorgiou, Apr 30, 2015.

1. drcfrx

drcfrx

@melgeorgiou Fabulous tool, easy to use, clear and efficient, very professionnal. I really love it. Thanks for making it :)
    If you are taking suggestions, I'd love to see along the number of mesh/skinmesh of selected object, the number of vertices or tris that this object have. Or maybe a special Model's Info thumbnail with usefull details on a selected object or prefab like number of submeshes, number of tris, number of mats, potential problems, anything that could help evaluate a prefab or model at a glance (without clicking dozen of time to reach all submeshes to look at the inspector). Could save a lot of time.
    Anyways thanks a lot!

2. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

hi @drcfrx,

Glad you're enjoying MeshKit :)

I've added the suggestion to the Wishlist!

- Mel

3. drcfrx

drcfrx

4. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

No worries! :)

5. Fleer_CTC

Fleer_CTC

Hi @melgeorgiou,

Thanks for this plugin, it's made my life a lot easier! I have a question about some disappearing meshes though...

We have some pretty dense geometry that comes from some engineering software, and I'm calling MeshKit.CombineChildren() in some code to optimise some AssetBundles that are being loaded in at runtime.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but it looks like if the mesh is too large for MeshKit to process (over the vertex limit) then it will skip over it, but the implication of that is that the object's MeshRenderer will also get switched off in the 'Clean up' section - so I am then left with missing objects after the process has finished running.

The behaviour I would expect to see is that the original, un-optimised mesh is ignored in clean up, and still visible in the scene.

Is there a way I can achieve that with the CombineChildren() call that I might be missing?

Thanks!

6. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi @Fleer_CTC,

Firstly, Thanks for purchasing MeshKit and for your feedback :)

Hmm, this seems like an interesting edge case. Could you please send me a PM / Email with your invoice number and we can take it from there?

Thanks!

- Mel

Fleer_CTC likes this.
  7. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

DataKit_Header.png

Hi everyone,

I've just released a new tool called Data Kit - The Reimagined Data Serialization System For Unity.

DataKit is a unique cross-platform data serialization system to automatically handle most aspects of saving and loading your game's data. Features include local and global data, save slots, save points, data groups, obfuscation, encryption and even automatic screenshots. Another great DataKit feature is the intuitive visual debugger, allowing you to view, edit, delete and restore your serialized data in real-time while testing your games in the Editor! DataKit is a powerful core asset that any game project would benefit from!

As with all of my Unity plugins, it uses visual inspectors in an effort to make things as easy to use as possible (although some scripting is required). There are quite a few tutorial videos on the DataKit forum page but please check out this introduction video to see how DataKit can help with your own projects!

DataKit is currently on sale with a 50% launch discount! For more information about DataKit check out the Asset Store page HERE. If you have any questions or suggestions for DataKit, please use its own unity forum page HERE.

... OK, now back to MeshKit! :)

- Mel

8. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

9. Fleer_CTC

Fleer_CTC

melgeorgiou likes this.
  10. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

No worries! :)

11. logixworx

logixworx

Waiting for a sale on this asset.. :)

12. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

13. vjroba

vjroba

Hi @melgeorgiou,

I am considering to buy MeshKit.
    Is mesh separation still not compatible with Skinned Mesh Renderers?
    Thank you.

14. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi @vjroba,

Firstly, thanks for checking out MeshKit! :)

Mesh separation is a feature that currently only works on non-skinned meshes.

- Mel

15. vjroba

vjroba

Thank you for answering so quickly.

16. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

17. real2u

real2u

@melgeorgiou First of all thanks for the asset, it's been helping me so much on my chair engineering project developed on Solidworks.

Just like @Fleer_CTC , on complex geometries with interior mechanisms, screws,nuts,etc..., decimation tool isn't enought and it would amazing to remove every unseen vertice on that object, leaving only visible vertices and applying decimation on top of that.

I thought rebuild tool would help me achieve that but I couldn't make :( Any inputs on how to achieve that?

18. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi @real2u,

Firstly, thanks for purchasing MeshKit, I'm glad it's been helping you :)

MeshKit doesn't have a feature to remove "unseen" vertices. The rebuild tool allows you to recreate an existing mesh with or without unity-based Mesh features. For example, you can strip or generate normals, tangents, etc in order to optimise memory and performance.

In your case it sounds like you'll need to first make changes in solidworks. I don't have much experience with that but I would recommend making a duplicate of your current model and essentially make a "game-ready" version. Cut out the meshes you're not going to see from solid works and then bring it into Unity. From there, you can combine that with MeshKit's decimation tools to further reduce and optimize it.

Hope that helps! :)

- Mel

19. CraigGraff

CraigGraff

@melgeorgiou This is a very interesting product. Almost a replacement for Mesh Simplifier, with many additional bells and whistles. The one thing that Mesh Simplifier had that this lacks is a method for choosing portions of a mesh to decimate last or first (either leaving the selected volumes relatively intact or removing complexity from volumes you don't care about). That was the killer feature of Mesh Simplifier when it was still supported.

Do you have any plans to add support for a feature like that?

20. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi @CraigGraff,

Firstly, thanks for your interest! :)

That specific feature isn't planned for the short-term, but I'll add it to the wish-list.

- Mel